Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of both parents

Smllfry1

• Members

I lost both parents- my father first and then my mother 2 months later .

Both were unexpected. I was doing well but now I feel as though I have stepped backwards.

I feel as though the family and friends that were there are no longer. No one asks anymore how I feel on holidays. No one reached out on Mother's Day, Christmas , Birthdays, anniversary....

I don't know how to handle this new sense of sadness or the anger towards those who I believe have forgotten about me!

• Members

I am really sorry for your losses, I lost both my parents too but not in such a short time, though someone on here that I talk to lost their parents at the same time, I guess I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. My Dad has now been gone 10 months and no one mentions him especially on special occasions I think they do not want to upset me as if I might have forgotten. The way I tackle this is that I mention my Dad and I say how much I miss him if it makes them uncomfortable they cut me short but on the whole most will talk to me if only briefly. You know it is hard to see someone upset and I think people just want to avoid that. Take care of yourself.

• Members
Lostwithoutmum

Smllfry, sorry for your losses, people wrongly assume (hope) that it gets easier in time, and they fear re-opening your wound -

I know it doesn't get easier, if anything, it all gets very confusing and the pain hits back strongly...

Try to do something that would help you on these occasions, just something to get the energy out..

To be honest, I sometimes prefer being on my own... some people don't get it...but I know what you mean....

Do you not have any siblings who are affected by this loss similarly? It takes a really really close person to understand the pain..

• Members

Hi Smllfry1,

I´m really sorry for your losses and although my dad not long ago, I can totally understand where you´re coming from.

Most people, after the funeral is done, appear to forget that the worst is yet to come…

On those days, I either turn to something I like to vent or lay down in my bed, but the first one works better. You can always come here for support and vent, it really helps J

Hang in there

Archived