Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing a Parent to Suicide

rosejunkie

• Members

Has anyone else out there lost a parent to suicide? I lost my father almost fourteen years ago. I was thirteen at the time and it's been quite a difficult and isolating experience. The loss of a loved one to suicide brings about many conflicting emotions, which seem, at least to me, to be different than those which arrive from other types of loss. I've never had the opportunity to speak about my loss to another survivor and I am very much interested in some feedback. How do you handle the feelings of rejection and abandonment? Are you able to speak about your loss? My surviving parent feels such anger to my father over his suicide that I am unwilling to broach the subject. In fact, I feel guilty and disloyal to my mother whenever I miss my father, speak fondly of him, or try to honor his memory. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Archived