Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Taking baby steps

LizzyW

• Members

After losing my husband almost a month ago, suddenly, and unexpectedly, I found myself in a sort of state of limbo. It changed my world completely, and turned it upside down. Michael was my almost constant companion, and we had been together since 1984. My son is grown and works, raising a family of his own, and we live in a rural area, and were pretty much solitary people, and relied on each other for company.

I have found that since his death, I don't want to do my normal routine stuff. I haven't cooked a meal since his death, and cooking is something that I have always enjoyed, but cooking for just myself seems so pointless and not worth the trouble. This evening, I decided that I need to take some steps to start getting my life back to some semblance of normalcy, so I decided to bake a cake to take to work tomorrow, and share it with my co-workers.

It will likely be a long road, but life will go on, and I will attempt to honor my husband by living, rather than declining, and withdrawing from life itself.

• Members

Good for you! Some days you will be able to do these baby steps. when you can, allow yourself. Blessings

• Members

I also planted a tree today. The flower arrangement that I bought for the service was a wildflower-looking arrangement. It had a stem cutting of corkscrew willow. After the funeral, I took the willow stem, and put it in a vase of water, where it has been sitting for three weeks. It sprouted roots and a few small green leaves. I transplanted it into the ground today.

Archived