Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
embracelife

Awards to Honor Those who Have Lost and Inspired

Hi all,

I thought fellow viewers of Beyond Indigo would be interested in a program that encourages the sharing life lessons and honors those who have overcome a loss.

In its fifth year, the Embrace Life Awards program honors men and women who have persevered and inspired others after the loss of a parent or spouse. Recipients of the Embrace Life Award receive $10,000 and are recognized at a gala event in Chicago in August. To nominate a special person who embodies the embrace life spirit, we encourage you to submit an essay at www.SFEmbraceLifeAwards.com telling your (or a friend's) story of grief and empowerment. The deadline for Awards essay submissions is May 23, 2008.

It sounds like many of you may be similar to, or know individuals like, our 2007 honorees and 15 other past honorees who have made a difference after a tragic loss. You can learn about our previous honorees by visiting the link provided above.

Thank you all, and remeber, Embrace Life today and everyday.

Interesting...  I wrote an e-mail to the sponsoring organization of this contest and asked them to please consider those of us who have lost a child...  Perhaps someone will recognize that we too can overcome hurdles of profound loss and affect the world with Hope and change for the better...  We'll see if anyone responds.  So sad to not be included.....  - 4everJoey'sMom, Claudia

Claudia - I agree that Loss of a Child should be included - and want to add that if it were you would be my choice - as your words here on the boards to so many diffenent people in so many different situations have been a source of strength to me whenever I read them.  Take care!

Hey girls, I agree, loss encompasses so many.  One thing that I have found is that the feelings of grief are so unique, not just to the individual, but there are so many different levels of emotion that surround the loss.  I have said before, the loss of my mother was very hard, my father was a pure blessing and the loss of my brother was devastating.  The ability to continue through each day trying to hold on to some sense of balance is a feat in itself. 

The ability to give to others while you are in such pain is also one of the most blessed gifts.  But to categorize the grief into which feels the most pain is just impossible.  Someone who lost a pet could be in as much emotional pain as one who lost a spouse, and someone who lost a spouse could be thanking God that He did not let a loved one linger in pain. 

Anyway, that's my feelings.  Wanted to say hey!  I am here, just reading post more than posting. 

Love you both!  Peace & blessings, Jackie

Thanks Mofirefly and Jackie!  Incidentally I heard back from the "contest" officials, and they explained that this contest is limited to those who suffer loss in the area of the person they lost was a major breadwinner for the family--thus the hardship does differs a bit financially, I suppose.  That helped me a lot to understand how any organization phishing for contestants could overlook the significance of losing a child or a sibling--but whatever.

You both are such inspiratons to me as well.  Bless you both and much, much love, Claudia

I haven't read all of the contest rules regarding this competition- but the organization's response was a pretty lame one. Comparing types of grief saying one type is more significant than another- no way - they didn't think through that statement very well!  I thought your idea was a great one - so if it's really the thought that counts anyway...bless you and all of the parents who have suffered the loss of a child.  Unfortunately, I belong to the same "club" that no one ever wants to qualify for membership, having lost an infant son.  No one really understands unless they've survived the loss of a child!

Just a thought....Maybe you could focus on finding a way to help others find Beyond Indigo?  Most of the people have found it doing a web search for grief help.  Our forum has never been featured in the media...which would be a great way to reach out and help others find this site.  If anyone has connections with an AP writer or someone in news/talk show story development - like 60 Mintues, Oprah...think of the people we could reach out to.  Kelly would be a great talk show guest.  She has built this network to help the grieving and has a real heart for reaching out to others.  There's a story to be told about how the web is being used to connect people who are grieving.  If there can be a "happy ending" to our grief journey - let it be that we can help one another along the way.

Just thinking out loud here...maybe there's some people with contacts here.

~Dawn

Beyond Indigo

mikesmum   

Dawn - Because I as many did stumbled onto BI I thought it might assist others to raise the awareness of the site.   So I sent thru emails to Oprah. 

Basically I thought that the BI story, the friendships made and the enormous support found here was something that needed to recognised.  I also highlighted that it provided a venue for the wider scope of 'loss' and bought together many from around the world from various backgrounds, lives and circumstances all travelling a similar yet unique journey.  No reply.

Our site did get an honourable mention in my court proceedings!

Stay with it - this is truly the one place where 15 months on and still searching for my 'new normal' is quite the norm!

Trudi

Bless your heart, Trudi!  I just thought I'd plant the idea - you never know who uses this site that might have connections.  I marvel at the friendships that have been made and the love and concern that resonates throughout the posts.  It think there is a great story to be told here - a story that could help others who have not found BI yet.

Thanks again! Keep working on that "new normal"  - you've become quite a "counselor" by using your experience to help  many experiencing this journey called grief.  What a tribute to Mike's memory!

Dawn

kelly   

Dear Members,

We are excited to mention that we are moving to a more new and improved message boards on MONDAY MORNING AUGUST 9th! The boards will be done for a few hours while we are making the conversation. Remember we posted information about this move a month ago. For some of you this might seem a bit sudden,  but when we were reviewing the site we determined the current message board you are using is out of date and the company that designed it is no longer in existence. The good news is this new message board will have new features that have been requested in the past like more fields we can add to your profiles and a chat room up to 20 people at one time. If we find the chat room is bursting at the seams we will add additional room for extra people. All your old posts, private messages and such will be migrated to the new message board. You might have to put up your profile picture again but not sure. The new company will be doing the migration for us. Here is a short list of some of the new features on the board:

- Custom Profile Fields

- Users can customize their profile pages by selecting a background color or background image, with tiling options.

- Facebook and Twitter Integration

- users can respond to multiple posts at once with "mini-quote"

- Pinned discussion threads - like welcome to our board etc.

- Announcements made across some boards or the entire message board

- Search: Users can easily find all content generated by a particular member, by clicking the 'Find Content' button that appears on the main profile page, or in the Mini Profile Popup which can be accessed throughout the board. The results page allows content to be filtered by application, as well whether the member created it or merely participated in it.

- Privacy: allows users to sign in anonymously, hiding them from the online users list. Users also have the option to disable personal conversations and user-to-user emails, as well as ignore other users if necessary.

The next exciting piece of news about the new message board is it will have a new domain name of www.grieving.com for search engine optimization purposes. It will still be apart of Beyond Indigo and can be found through www.beyondindigo.com. We will be redirecting your current URL's to this new domain name but we might miss a few. If that is the case simply go back to www.grieving.com or www.beyondindigo.com to find your message board thread. We will try to make the transition as seamless as possible.

The bottom line is the new board will give us room to grow our community and more options to interact better with each other.

If you have any questions please direct them to feedback@beyondindigo.com.

Kelly Baltzell, MA

CEO/President

Beyond Indigo Family