Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Dad Passed Away

kimw30

• Members

Hey I am new to the forum, I am trying to find a place to come to to help me. My Dad died February 27,2013, ever since he died I cant sleep at night, If I do get to sleep I cry myself to sleep and then I wake up all during the night thinking I am going to check on him. Sometimes I think I hear him talking, I dont know if that is normal or not. During the day I will just be setting down and I will just start crying. My Mom died 3 years ago and it is like when my dad died it is bringing back memories when she died too over again, but I still miss her every day too. I will even try to fix him a plate of food too and then I realize I dont need to fix him anything to eat. Has anybody been through this, please write me.

• Members
BreathofAngel

Hey I am new to the forum, I am trying to find a place to come to to help me. My Dad died February 27,2013, ever since he died I cant sleep at night, If I do get to sleep I cry myself to sleep and then I wake up all during the night thinking I am going to check on him. Sometimes I think I hear him talking, I dont know if that is normal or not. During the day I will just be setting down and I will just start crying. My Mom died 3 years ago and it is like when my dad died it is bringing back memories when she died too over again, but I still miss her every day too. I will even try to fix him a plate of food too and then I realize I dont need to fix him anything to eat. Has anybody been through this, please write me.

Dear ((((Kim))))It is always very painful when a parent passes away, especially when a child has been close to them all of their life. I am very sorry for your loss and reach out to you with love and prayers. And with you Mother having passed also I know it is most difficult at the moment for you, dearheart. People have different ways of grieving and the time element for grieving can extend for a while to a whole lifetime for some. It depends on the closeness and the degree of love a child has for their parents how long they will grieve.What you are describing that happens to you is typical for many people as they are engaged in the grieving process. The closeness of a dear family member is always with you no matter what anyone says and they always will be. But to suddenly find oneself having to "undo" what they were previously so used to doing such as cooking for the person, going in to check on them, etc. are habits that are hard to break. That part however, does not last forever. As soon as the rational mind can realize that they are not physically there anymore the normal routine of trying to do things for them will start to become less and less.We all go through these things, dear. We have our pain that can last a lifetime when we find we are no longer in the company of a loved one. Hard as it is to break the habit what may help you is to find good company with those who can be truly sympathetic to what you are going through perhaps get-togethers for such purpose in your hometown or seeking good church organizations. Please know that we are also here for you and you can feel free to discuss what you wish as just speaking about one's loved one can be most helpful in most circumstances. We have all been through this or are now going through it so we know exactly what you are feeling and we all wish you well and send you much love.Take good care of yourself. May God bless you and help you to go forward with your life during these especially trying hard times.

• Moderators

kim, I'm so sorry for your loss. There really isn't a "normal" in grieving or a "this is how it happens" kind of thing. None. It is different for everyone, so just allow yourself to feel what you feel and pls try not to question whether it's "right" or not or wonder if others do it, as that is meaningless. Your journey through this is unique to you. And pls feel free to vent/etc here however you feel helps. Also as you may likely recall with you mother, this takes lots of time to work through......but I'm confident you'll get there. tc

• Members

I am sorry for your loss!. plain and simple, sorry to be blunt. Your going to go thru hell, but it does get better,I promise, I am an only child, lost my dad unexcepectefly feb 16th, I cry at least once a day.(better then non stop like the first 2weeks) he was apart of my daily life. i did find comfort on this web page. Just hold on tight.but remember it will get easier. Feel free to talk any time.. Take care. God bless.

Archived