Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wondering how I'm going to get through all the holidays this year

LauraLynn4608

• Members
LauraLynn4608

Anyone have any tips for getting through the first year after losing my mom? We were super close so I'm thinking the months of may and December will be the worst. May because of Mother's Day and my birthday, and December because of her birthday an christmas. I just am already thinking about Mother's Day, the thought of it brings me to tears I can't imagine when they starting setting up the displays in stores.

Really just want to know how everyone deals with holidays?

• Members

My mom passed away 6 months ago. September 18. Her birthday was October 17, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas...something every month, for 3 mths straight. It was the hardest thing in my life. I got through it, by taking her gift money, and making nice things for her grave. Does your mom have a grave? If not, maybe make a special gift, and place it in your home, as like a shrine? I have a table displaying all things I got mom.

This will also be the first mothers Day. I'm scared too...but I will try to cherish and talk about how great my mother was. So sorry we are goin through this.

Hugs!!

• Members
LauraLynn4608

I'm sorry you are also going through this Rms, I know it's not easy, and I am DREADING all the holidays. It's hard enough trying to plan my wedding without her, but planning it and getting through the holiday may drive me crazy. I am starting to see the commercials for mother's day gifts, and it's so crippling to think I have no one to celebrate that day for anymore.

Also, no my mom does not have a grave, she was cremated, she has a beautiful blueish/purpleish crystal urn that sits by a window, sometimes the light hits it just right and it reflects into the room.

• Members

That sounds beautiful! I know how you feel about planning your wedding, as well. I was lucky enough, for mom to have been there when I got engaged last July. She was soooooooo excited, but then passed away 2 months later. We were set to get married August of this year, but I have postponed, until further notice. I just cannot stand the thought of knowing Mom will not be there. I pray we both find strength!

Archived