Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Brendon&Jordi, I am so sorry for your loss.  I agree that the second year is so very brutal. The world moves on and you are still trying to understand the unimaginable. The grief process has so many twists and turns and the heart-wrenching spirals. You have found yourself in a good place where there are parents that  live the loss of their child or children.  They "get" it.  I just turned the  corner on my third anniversary and the pain and darkness come up to get me but sometimes there is light.  I was afraid that as time went on I might forget those little moments.  I try my best to "talk" to my son to keep him with me in my heart and in my mind.  . I can probably admit to crying daily still.  Not always the gut wrenching cry from early on but a thought, saying his name, can make the tears come. There is not a morning that I wake (and sleep is not always a willing action) that I do not think my son is gone. There are many on this forum I think of as my mentors who have helped me this far along.  We are here for each other. Those who come close to understanding that are those who share that experience. A grieving parent has to find their own way to live with the loss but they do not have to be alone. Share your thoughts, frustrations, feelings, whatever you are comfortable with whenever you are ready.  We are listening. Hang on with both hands but never be afraid to reach out.

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think my new years resolution will be to get back on this site. I feel like my life is kind of pointless. Perhaps I can at least be a listening ear here. 

My experiences with the angel lady were so uplifting but I saw a girl on America's got talent manage to have a man's thoughts printed out on a paper which made me think maybe it is all a trick. Kate your story of being out to tea when the woman approached you about Jeff has always been something I hang on to. The story i just saw about your MIL also is reassuring. Thanks.

Here I am with my family at Christmas.

I wish everyone a glimmer of hope for the new year.

26060101_10210590297209671_3830966518212103105_o.jpg

• Members

Hoosier Guy, it is indeed a good thng to see you tonight and I am so glad that you feel a lessening of that horrid tension. I am glad to know that you are still cooking and that you have a Grandboy to help raise. Is that someting settled that you can be involved in his life now? I hope so. I look forward to hearing more about the case the detectives are working on. Good luck.

Gretchen, so good to see you too, and I hope that you do come back if it feels right for you. I hope you know that the purpose in your life is one: sitting in that room in the photo, and two: any other thing that you spend time with, like your art. But my dear Gretchen, if coming back here to lend an ear becomes part of your purpose in 2018...well then we are all better for it.

Brendon and JOrdi's Mom, please ocme back to let us know more about your life adn the lives of your swweet Boys. Nobody should lose a child as we all have, but WOW, not at all feesible to lose two kids. You are not alone here, we have several Moms here who have lost two kids. Please know that you will be welcome here whenever you come to talk. You don't have to learn our names for now, it will come as you read our stories...we are a big group, very active here, so join in. As Dianne said, you needn't do this all alone.

• Members

sandy how sad to have that final goodbye with Heather she will always be with you

brendan and jordimom I know that feeling of the memories getting harder to visualise. When my son's clothes were delivered in aparcel from the family he was living with they were freshly laundered so no personal smell I was gutted. Although some things fade from our minds their beloved face will never be forgotten. Hold their love for you in your heart they are with you always. When I look at some photos a spark of memory comes briefly but I know my son's face by heart and will never let that fade. In the second or third year it really sinks in that they are not going to come back and that realisation is overwhelming especially as you realise you have slowly stopped expecting them to. make a place in your life for your spirit children but don't let your life stop and grief decay you. it is best to find something to honour them donate to a charity, do a fun run give a prize to their school put a bench in a park whatever you want and can afford to give. planting a tree is very inexpensive or scattering wildflower seeds in a natural area. my kids and i are saving up for a small plaque to put in the churchyard honouring Tommy so there is a place to go to remember him but without the hassle of regular maintenance.

gretchen lovely family photo thanks for sharing

hoosierguy I wondered how you are doing. Your fury and rage were so overwhelming they overcame any inhibition and caused some offence previously. I understand your rage at the injustice and lack of consequences for the guilty and the fierce parental desire to see justice done but agree that pressure causes major physical changes that are detrimental to your health and you have a grandson who needs you. I really really hope the guilty are charged and imprisoned because the taking of an innocent life is appalling and we as humans desire justice and murderers deserve to be locked up and made to pay for their crimes. Keep us posted.

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Bob. it is so good to know that young Nick (? I think that is the baby's name) will have a relationship with you.  I know you wanted that. I am sure that those who lost a child to violence appreciate hearing from someone who is going through that.  Hoping you are taking good care of yourself because that little one needs to have you to keep his father's memory alive.

• Members
My girl is in heaven

Hi everybody
Thanks for your well wishes. Ive been reading them to my mom. Makes her feel better when i tell her of all the different places u r from. We have been sitti g here a few day's i think now. Kinda lost track of time. Palliative care, off iv and antibiotics. I dont know how he keeps hanging on but he does. Barley breathing. Lesley did u ever see anyone linger on this long. Somersky. How is your dad and family doing.?

• Members

louann it is impossible to give a timeline when someone is dying we have all heard cases of a longer or shorter life with a terminal diagnosis. I am sorry that is no help to you he will continue to weaken and probably lose consciousness then pass away. It must be very stressful for you all and i am sure you are all really tired and upset I hope for you all it is not too much longer.

dee i love U2 as well great song.

well we are here at the cusp of another year ending and 2018 beginning. I hope for everyone of you that it is better than the year we have had and that you all find some peace and keep good health.

1145f977acad2084eb1ea05a8585c9be.jpg.fca7e2b0278d67fa4c37554d9043c1b8.jpg

• Members

Dee, thank you for posting that song by U2. Jeff's favourite band  along with Coldplay. I have always loved the way Bono has a way to connect through his words to the average soul. A good guy all around.

Gretchen, I would love to see more of you on the site again. I have missed you! I enjoyed seeing your family photo of Christmas Day.

Tina, thank you for the pic of the geese. As long as there is open water and a source of food some will often stay behind. Good luck with your new job! Keep us posted as to how the first week goes.

Susan, my thoughts are sent for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

Sherry, I hope that this next few days will be good for you as you spend time with the family.

Leah, I sure hope you were able to get to the Doctor and get some meds to help with that stubborn chest infection. Take good care of yourself.

Lesley, how is your aunt doing these days? When have they scheduled your surgery on your foot?

LouAnn, I agree that it is not written in stone as to how long it takes. It is an extremely difficult process and so very hard to watch. My prayers are sent to you and your family for strength to get through this difficult time.

Becky, how are you? Have you finally trained Maurice? How are your eyes?

Dianne, wishing you a year ahead that is filled with peace and a sense of release. Those first three years are so very difficult. 

Laurie, I sure hope you will have some time to relax over the next few days. Please send love to your Mom and sister from me.

To all of those that are new to this journey. I am so very sorry for your loss. We that are further along completely understand the raw pain and feeling of hopelessness that you feel at this time. Please take heart in knowing that slowly in time... with support and patience... this pain will slowly ease. You never have to be alone in this.

I wish you all a New Year filled with peace and a heart filled with the beautiful joyous memories that our wonderful children have left us to carry on.

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Hi I just wanted to check in with you all and wish you all Good Health Peace and lots of love and a big Thank you for all the support you’ve given on this forum. You are all amazing.  

Its nearly 11pm here and I’m off to bed I can’t bare to be awake for the New Year. To me it’s another year of mixed emotions of being without James and taking me further away from the day I last saw him leaving him behind and perhaps nearer to the day I will be reunited with him again. 

I feel the same as Diane in this third year. I never stop thinking of James I have moments where I’m jolted back to the moment I was told and I cry everyday too I just miss him so much I still go to his grave everyday to light his candles but there are moments of lightness I know that’s not a good word but that’s it just lightness out of the dread and darkness. 

I thought I’d share this  God Bless Georgina xxx

E7C7EFD6-7C9F-409A-93A5-518A9F1AC762.png

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Georgina, good to hear from you.  I too feel an occasional light--I think of it as hope. The build up to the third anniversary was brutal but I came around. I hope you have gotten back some strength from all of the health issues that were heaped upon you. We're going to make it...you and I.   We have had good support and comfort here.

Tina, wishing you luck with the new job.

Dee, I too am a big U2 fan. I agree with Kate, from what I know Bono has always been a good guy. 

Luanne, wishing comfort to you and your family as this is a hard vigil.

Susan, a good recovery for you.  Laurie, joy and rest in your life with your new little guy. Sherry, for all your positive thoughts and encouragement, we would be lost without you. Leah, improved health and luck with your granddaughter.

No midnight for me---I have been up since 3AM so I know I would never make it.  Maybe if the hockey game tonight is exciting I might be able to stretch it. Never have been a big night owl.  So for all here I wish an improvement on our past, health and comfort from our sadness and friendship in our lives.

5a4974d83a45b_Newyearsstar.JPG.e546bde8a40b5ff00fa26b5119ba13b2.JPG5a49750929922_newyearsbook.jpg.c9e1ace0a721da2ea80bb9ef9e03d272.jpg

• Members

My dad sadly passed away in hospice December 29th... he went there the day he died. I stayed with him till he took his last breath. It happened quite quickly from diagnosis to passing away. 

Thank you all for your love and support

• Members
tobyfreefoot

Somersky I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. It must have been a comfort to feel you there.

Luanne 5 years after forest died I had a nervous break down and ended up in the psychiatric hospital. Since then I've been having something called neurotherapy. One thing I was diagnosed with was ptsd from being told he was dead. I still cannot really think of it. I told them absolutely no way could i re-live it over and over in order to become inured in therapy which is why they sent me to neurotherapy so I wouldn't have to and I am feeling so much better. I can really relate to where you are. I spent many years in that frozen space with so much grief I thought I would die. I thought without the grief I wouldn't have the same love. It is ok Luanne the love will be the same love you've always had. Our sweet children would be devastated to think they have inadvertently ruined our lives. I know forest who loved life wouldn't want that. So anyway I hope you can find a way soon to try to piece life back together. I still have moments (I was just bawling into a quilt yesterday) but that's ok too. I am always going to carry that grief but I am learning to live in spite of it or with it. I hope the new year brings you some peace somehow

• Members

Happy as Can Be New Year to ALL. I am home, husband is asleep, and i am sending my love to you All.I definitely will not stay up till midnight this evening, and after my cup of tea, I will go to bed. And so, I raise my cup of tea to you all, and I toast your brave hearts and your tenacity from day to day, there is nothing easy about grief, but eventually, it isn't a thing you have to drag along the walkways with you, it becomes a part of your fiber and grief just adds itself into your soul. She becomes a piece of you; a deep beat in your heart. And while i remember worrying about forgetting, I am here to tell  you that you won't forget what  you need of your Child...the most important pieces of your Sweet Child will remain in your memories. I feared those same things a long time ago, but I assure you that as time goes forward, you will find that your fears are unfounded.

SInce Erica died, I have welcomed each New Year, with hopes to make it as good a year as I can...to be as healthy as I can and do good things in the world. I hope that again this year for us all. That we find our way in part by doing good things in the world. We heal a bit when we reach out for help and also when we reach out to help.

• Members
Brendon&Jordi

It is the anniversary on New Year's Day of the death of my 18 year old son, Brendon. He died in a snowboarding accident. They couldn't find him for three hours. He fell upside down in the snow and was buried alive 6 feet under a "Christmas" tree. He died from suffocating to death, then freezing. It looks like he tried to dig out the foam of his right boot to release it from the board. He was frozen like a package of meat..this thought just cripples me every year. It has been 12 years and I can say that most people will think that it has been long enough to greive. I never got to hold his hand while he was dying. I never got to say good bye. My sweet, precious, boy. I love you still as much as I did then. I miss you coming into my room and leaning on my bed to tell me about your day, the, you would ask me about mine. I miss getting mad at you for eating all the food in the house. I miss joking with you and telling you when you went out with friends to:

Have a lot of sex, do drugs, and drink alcohol! You would get beet red and say; "Mom, what are you doing?' I'd say; "It's reverse psychology-is it working?!" Your friends would look at me and laugh as you high tailed it out the door. I really miss how you protected me. How you never wanted me to be alone. You always went to the movies with me if I was by myself, or you would go to the store with me if I was by myself. then, when you were around 16 and I asked you if you could go to the movies with me, you told me "Mom, you need to get a life!" That was my subtle hint that you were into your friends (LOL). My shy, sweet, boy. Beautiful boy, all 6 ft 2 of you! I will never forget the time you drew a bubble bath for me when I was sick and had bad stomach cramps. I will never forget the time I had the flu and told you I didn't want you to get it (to stay away). You asked me if you could make me toast. I said I was too sick to eat. When I woke up, you where there lying beside me reading a motorcycle magazine. So sweet that you wanted to make sure that I was okay. You called me the night before you died to see how I was. You told me you didn't feel well and that you wanted to stay with your dad one more day to snowboard. I wish I could have hung on the phone with you forever.

We had talked the week before and we had a weird conversation. I told you that if I died, that I didn't want you to be sad, because I would be in heaven with your brother, Jordi. I said if I was in an accident, or something. You then told me that, if you died, you hoped you would be doing something "cool"...like a motorcycle trick, or something. I told you that I hope when I died I would be doing my nursing job. I never thought that you would be with Jordi before me. You were the man of my "single-divorced mom" condo. You were my best friend. You were my life.

My heart. My joy.

All the times I told you to give me a kiss "Just in case something happens".....so glad for all the kisses.

I wish I would have bought you that darn camera that you wanted. We fought about it in the store. I told you if you put in half of the money, i'd put in the rest. 

I think of you everytime I see a bumble bee....because of the cute poem you wrote to me as a child. That you and me....we were bumble bees.

When You hold my hand and pull me to heaven with you, I will ask God to view all of the videos. Me dropping you off at kindergarten (your first day at school). Go back to the time that you and Courtney were clearing out my un cool clothes. You threw out my "Amish" dresses...one of my fav's that you said I looked like a quarterback in. I guess I could have been a 49er!

Courtney misses you and Jordi so much. She lost all of her childhood when she lost you. All her siblings gone. I feel so bad for her, son. We can feel you with us in special ways.

How I miss you every single day son. I think of you always with a smile and a huge crocodile tear in my heart.

• Members
Brendon&Jordi

Hoosier guy, I wept at the story of your son, and then I was frikking mad! Mad that some low life would rip your son's life away from you. You are on the highest step of the ladder with this.

I hope you can connect with other parents who have lost their children to violence. I think about you and I just don't know how you wouldn't just want to hunt down and torture someone who has murdered your child. I hope you can be around people who allow you to show your anger. You should be enraged. I hope that the syeam from the anger will help to get you through all of the court battles/legal system. Hang in there.

• Members

BRENDON, Sweet Angel Boy, please surround your Sister and Momma and all the friends and family who love and miss you...surround them with the energy of peace, let them feel that tingling that starts at the crown of their heads and travels through their bodies, letting them know that you are there, you are sitting there with them and you have touched them. Angel Boy, help them to know that the love they carry will  keep them safe in yours and your Brothers hearts for all of time. God Bless.

• Members
tobyfreefoot

Brendonandjordi's mom-what a terrible trauma you've been through and what a loving remembrance you have shared with us. It brought up such sweet tender feelings. May you and your daughter feel love come down around you.

• Members

somersky I am sorry for your loss and hope your family can all hug and support each other through the sadness. Your dad is free now.

brendonandjordi the angel date as some call it is always a very emotional date made worse by the fact it falls on a world celebratory holiday. As you grieve the world rejoices in a New Year, very hard for you I am sorry. At least your boy died doing something he loved and just know that it would actually have been quick. The carbon dioxide levels would have risen very fast and caused him to lose consciousness and not be aware of what was happening. i know that is not enough to make you feel better no information is ever enough. my boy died in a fall from university dorms trying to save his suicidal friend who ironically survived the huge fall. they were both conscious on the ground but I know shock adrenaline and concussion would have dulled their senses too. i so wished i had been there to hold his hand but it was not to be he arrested in the ambulance and died shortly after in the ER from his terrible injuries. We always want what we did not get. The parents who were there when their child passed are just as traumatised as those that were not there is no "better" death. We all have to walk that path of sorrow. I feel for Courtney too the loss of siblings is very harsh. i know my 3 other adult children struggle from time to time and that certain dates and holidays spark the sadness in them too. They also have parents who are profoundly changed because of their loss, and it is for our survivng children that we strive to make a normality even if inside we feel broken still. it is upto us to show them there is life after loss and we learn to mourn mostly privately because they have suffered too and we need to help them heal.

So it is New Years whoopee do. I woke up late and have been mooching around the house not feeling the energy or desire to clean up or leave the house. i spent it alone as I always do going to bed before midnight because it is just not the same anymore. I woke with that crippling depressive feeling and shed a few tears for my boy Tommy who will spend another year in the afterlife. I know he is happy and healthy and the concept of time is different there it is us who are left behind who struggle. i know I am not alone that many of you will also experience that let down feeling, the sorrow and the inability to celebrate a year full of possibilities. i know later on I will pull myself together and do some housework and laundry and make myself face the day. the thought of a very uncertain year to come is frightening, will this surgery work? will I be employable and what will I do? how will I cope financially? all those crippling anxieties i have on top of the depression. i know just to take it one day at a time and breathe and see what unfolds over the months. do not look too far into the future because it can be overwhelming, just take it slowly and trust that you will be ok. We will all be ok.

15781277_693338710827279_6912835500112214662_n.jpg.5e6d7b5ea2c37c8d02b34e05378b38b9.jpg

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

Hello to all. I have thought about everyone here on the forum knowing how difficult the start of a new year can be.  To all  New members here, I’m sorry for your loss, it is a very difficult journey. However this group of people has helped me in more ways than could be known.

Kate thank you for sharing the story of your mom and dad. 

Susan I hope your health Tests doing well .

Dee thanks for asking about me. 

I wanted to share about a woman ...I viewed her videos today. Her name is Maria dancing heart. One in particular stood out to me on how to avoid burnout. Some suggestions she said was to have some meditation space ...walks in nature and also to use essential oil such as frankincense. She said that particular oil is good for depression. It is very easy to not take care of oneself when one is carrying a very heavy load.

This morning I sat looking out a window and noticed the full moon. I listen to my divine mercy  chaplet and just had some quiet time. It was much needed after such a busy month in December. I will probably post again later As I am so far behind in reading. Sending gentle thoughts to all.

• Members
My girl is in heaven

Gretchen. Thanks so much for your kind words. And everyone thank you. Still sitting at my dads bed side. He has barely been breathing for 2 or 3 days now. He is not responsive to word or tpuch. I cannot believe my family throwing arpund words like closure, grief, when god decided to.come. one even said to me i read it takes 7 years to get over a child. Another said well ypu didn get closure cause u werent with kira when she died. I have chosen to say absolutely nothing. It would be pointless. Thier total lack of understanding and respect for what i live with everyday does not surprise me at all. I am here for my dad and will continue to ignore thier ignorance and total lack of compassion. Not one of them has a clue. I wish it was you guys sittng here with me.

• Members

Somersky, I am really sorry to hear about your father. I hope that you can now focus your attention on your Mom... as you mentioned that she too was unwell and also on your daughter. Your dad is now at peace and free of his worldly suffering.

LouAnn, I pray that your father will soon be released from his pain and will be at peace with his loved ones. Actually, you can tell whomever said that being with your child at the end is better does not know what they are saying. Losing our child under any circumstance is unbearable. Somehow in time we learn to pick up the pieces and begin to form a new life for ourselves. We were there with Jeff when he died. My husband performed CPR on him and felt him take his last breath. He is haunted to this day by that feeling. That vacant stare in his eyes at the moment we knew he was gone. Instead of focusing on that awful night we have chosen to push it down and remember the good and wonderful memories about him. And there were many indeed. He was a beautiful soul and I am so very proud to have called him my son. I agree with the posting that Lesley had earlier. They simply do not understand and truthfully...what does it really matter? How could they? Work on finding peace and joy in your life again. Your Kira will never be left behind as long as you try to continue to live your life in as positive a way as possible. That is the best way that you can honour her memory. She is with you every step of this journey despite the fact you can not see her. Her beauty of spirit and joy lives on.

Laurie, thank you for posting helpful information for everyone over these past several years. Your help has been invaluable to us all!

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Kate, brava to you for that incredible post in response to Luanne's. It was heartfelt and moving and I commend you. Luanne,  as you sit vigil for your father, I am so sorry that there are those who feel the need to give opinions about  what they READ about grief.  You are exhibiting tremendous courage. And if we could we would all be with you and Somersky as you face this difficult time.

5a4a7ea8af4b4_withyou.JPG.44c47095208d3f40b24a6be8cabbcc0b.JPG

• Members

Sommersky, I am sorry that your Dad left so soon, but happy that he did not linger in pain or discomfort. He is with your Sweet Son. I hope that your Mom and your Daughter are okay and that you all will be able to lean on one another. I know that most will lean on you, being the center point for Mom and Daughter, but make sure that you lean on someone too, us and those friends of yours nearby.

Kate, I love that Niagra froze, I saw it in the news, it is astoundingly beautiful, the power frozen in place... I agree with Dianne, your post is spot on for Louanne.

Louanne, your Pops is going to leave soon and he has let you know that he will see your Girl. The rest of the family is probably trying their best to make mention of what you must have traveled, for them, this is the best that they can give more than likely. I am sorry but I am also proud of you to be sitting bedside as you let your Dad go and be able to just let folks say what they feel is somehow the 'truth'. The truth is inside of us each, and each of us know what grief is and what it has changed in us, in our lives...we each know that we were shattered in pieces and had to piece ourselves back into some semblance of a human again after losing our Child...we were jigsaws spread out over the floors, pieces strewn hither and yon, nobody could even find our corner pieces to get us started, we had to do that. The truth is in the puzzles we carry about. And that is fine.

Dianne, how are you and husband doing in this terrible freeze? It is maddening to not be able to go out in this weather as I tend to do in the winter...I did manage an outdoor walk yesterday, three kinds of hats and several layers on all other parts...gym today so at least I am not as hyper having had a workout.

Laurie, so good to know you are there, I am glad that you continue to find inspiration for your soul and spirit. And that you share it with us...thank you.

Leah, doctor tomorrow by chance?

• Members

I took Tommy a small bunch of winter flowers from my garden today, and donated the money I would have spent on him at Xmas to two local homeless charities in my area. I want to help effect positive change in my city's growing population of homeless and addicts in his memory. Strangers helped him when he needed it, I am repaying their kindness every year.

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Kate, your post was so filled with such raw emotion, it was heartwrenching.  I admire your sharing that.

Awhile ago I read somewhere where a parent who had lost a child seemed to find that after a little time some people questioned her grief.  She started telling those with kids to go home and look directly into a mirror and say the name of their child--followed by the words "is dead". The pain that hits them in the gut is what she will live with the rest of her life---x1000 because for her it was not pretend.

Yes, Dee it is brutally cold here also.  We were at -8F(actual temp)(-22C) this morning and I never did hear the windchill. I have been tucking some bread into the evergreens for the birds. I do my walking i  the house so I am good no matter what the weather.  I will say my joints are not happy with this cold. We are just hanging out in the house with what seems like the furnace running non-stop!

Lesley,  that is so nice of you to do that for the homeless.  Pay it forward! is a good thing.

• Members

Hello all on this 1st day 2018.    Somersky I am so sorry for the loss of your father and Louann you are in my thoughts as you are with your father as he journeys home.   It is so hard no matter the time of year, but an extra hurt during the holiday season.      It seems it is so easy for some folks who have not dealt with the grief of losing a child to give advice .   No one goes down this grief journey the same.   I agree with Kate, I was with Sarah when she died,  and no matter how they die  those last days and moments leave memories that are so hard if you have witnessed it.    We learn how to look beyond that pain with time,  but it does take time.     Susan you are in my thoughts and prayers as you face another surgery and recover.

I had an experience yesterday while at Rachel"s.   We were looking out the window at a bird,  and she wondered what it was.     I told her I thought it was a Cardinal. Right after I said that 2 gorgeous red cardinals flew on to the bush beside the other bird ( which was a brown female cardinal )    I said to her that there is an old folk saying that Cardinal's signify a visit from someone from heaven.  We both said at the same time maybe  it was from Sarah and Heather. Now, I can be a skeptic and find a reason for things that happen ( Which is probably why I haven't seen many signs from Sarah in the nearly 6 years since she died)   But somehow.....  I felt that these cardinals were indeed a message from heaven.   They were flying around so seemingly happy on a cold winter day.    I believe that both Sarah and Heather are joyful and happy to be together again and wanted us to know.   It felt good.

We woke to 5 below zero temps this morning and no water.  The nut that I am, I forgot to shut the garage door last night. We live in an apartment.  Took much of the day to thaw out and will have a high electric bill from cranking the heat up .    Hope everyone is doing well in spite of the weather .  

Have a restful evening.

Sandy

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Thanks Diane I feel so close to you in dates and time   I hope we make it, though some days I don’t think I will when the breath leaves my body because I’m knocked to the floor as it hits me like tsunami  but I’m trying I still have so much to live for just want my boys by my side enjoying and living life like they should be. So hard another friend got married this Christmas breaks my heart when I see them all together james should be there too living his life. Xxx 

The old healer to the soul:

It's not your back that hurts, but the burden.

It's not your eyes that hurt, but injustice.

It's not your head that hurts, it's your thoughts.

Not the throat, but what you don't express or say with anger.

Not the stomach hurts, but what the soul does not digest.

It's not the liver that hurts, it's the anger.

It's not your heart that hurts, but love.

And it is love itself that contains the most powerful medicine.

(UnknownAuthor)

• Members

Georgina, it is good to see you. How are you feeling? Any medical issues still troubling you?

Oh Sandy, I am sorry about the pipes, but glad that you were able to warm up the area enough to get it going again. In this kind of cold, so many things break or just stop working. I hope that you are snuggled up with blankets tonight and sleeping peacefully.

the high temperature today was 1 degree in Chicago. Holy Cow. Everyone in the cold areas of the world, please be careful with yourselves, pack extra hats and gloves and an extra pair of socks too for the car or to have in your bag on public transport, just in case.

• Members
My girl is in heaven

Hi all. Someone has been staying overnight with my dad each night. Tonight my mom thought we should all go home at 9.00 thinking perhaps he was waiting for us all to leave. He has been holding on for days now. My dad was a big strong handsome man. He probably doesnt weigh more than 110 lbs now. Every bone in his body is sticking out. His cheeks and eyes are sunk in. He is unconscious and no response to anything. He doesnt look anything like my dad. When i put kiras picture and an angel in his hand a few days ago he became so peaceful and with this misson now to look after kira. He told me when you hear im gone know that i will be with kira. He is barely breathing but just keeps going on. I have told nurse to call me if he passes in the night. It is 1241 and im just sitting here by the phone. I cant bear that someone isnt with him but my mothers wishes were to let him go tonight. I have held his hands, stroked his face and forehead. I sang amazing grace and Jesus loves me to him. I told him to just let go and take kiras hands. I told him that kira will teach him to dance and on a full moon i will see them dancing a jig. I am remembering him putting me on a two wheeler and giving me a push. Away you go he said. Sorry im just rambling. I expressed my disappointment in my family how they have brushed me aside the last six years, etc they had nothing to say. Just looked dumb founded. Not even one teeny tiny clue...not one clue any of them. Guess that is why i am yapping here to my real friends who are like family and will never leave me. I thank everyone for your kind words and support. I will keep you posted.

• Members

louann I feel your pain and anxiety over your dad i hope it is not too much longer before he goes to Kira. i understand your mum's thinking actually although it may seem a little harsh. I have seen how quite a few patients did slip away when their family has left. They are never alone just remember that. Kira will be there for him with a big hug. Love the thought of them dancing a jig together! Not everyone will ever understand what we bereaved parents go through it is a pain like no other so i guess we just have to live with that. I popped into my parents for a cup of tea after going to the churchyard with red eyes, my sister was also there and nothing was said guess they have to find their ways of coping. I have learned that somethings cannot be understood by others unless they have been experienced by themselves so on a tough day I stay at home alone giving myself time to experience the emotion and move on again. all my xmas stuff is down ready to be packed away still have the tree to do. Glad that holiday is behind me for another year.

georgina I love that poem so true. Hope you are doing ok.

sandy love the cardinals showing up to cheer your soul. In the last couple of days my rosebush produced one last bloom despite gales rain and freezing temperatures so i took it to Tommy with a few other late blooms in my garden a gift from the heart.

kate you are so brave sharing the details of your Jeff's final moments and how you try to live again seeking peace in the world, bravo to you. reading that helps me to accept that being with your child at their passing is not always the gift we think it will be, a double edged sword.

dee jigsaws and puzzle pieces an excellent way to describe grief.

stay warm everyone. I have to go and buy a cheap washing machine as mine gave up the ghost on New Year's eve. Life goes on and so does the chore of laundry!

• Members

Good lluck on a new washing machine Lesley...laundry definitely keeps piling up even when we don't want it to. Peace.

Sandy, I love the bird visit and that you felt it being something special...a visit of angels, a way and a signal to let you and Rachael know that the Girls are together again and that they are good. A gift to hold close to your hearts and that you got to share it was great. Did the house warm up sufficiently?

Louanne, prayers that Dad will let go and find his flight most lovely, speeding alongside his Grandgirl to the heavens.

• Members
Brendon&Jordi
On 1/1/2018 at 6:09 AM, ericasmom said:

BRENDON, Sweet Angel Boy, please surround your Sister and Momma and all the friends and family who love and miss you...surround them with the energy of peace, let them feel that tingling that starts at the crown of their heads and travels through their bodies, letting them know that you are there, you are sitting there with them and you have touched them. Angel Boy, help them to know that the love they carry will  keep them safe in yours and your Brothers hearts for all of time. God Bless.

Thank you Dee, for your kind and comforting words. I could feel them. thank you.

• Members

I am so glad to know that you felt your Boys with you.

• Members

Susan, if you are reading... I am thinking of you... and hope things are going well. Please let us know how you are... when you are able.

Dianne, I love the picture of those adorable pups. Our black lab was about that size when we got her for Xmas one year. Our older son walked into the house with her in his arms with a huge red bow around her neck. It was love at first sight for me. She was a beautiful  pal to us all.

Georgina, how was your Xmas? How are you feeling?

Sandy, I am pretty sure that the cardinals were a special sign sent for comfort. What a lovely gift at the right time!

Tina, did you start your new position yet?

Lesley, how are the new washer and dryer working? Life just continues....but it is nice to have a break from the mundane chores at times.  

We have had a bit of a break in the extreme cold, but I still find that as I age I like winter less than I once did. I guess I am not really a fan of temps at any extreme to be honest. Stay warm everyone and keep healthy.

Kate 

• Members

Thinking of everyone and  hope all are safe and warm.     Went to work this morning to temp of 13 below 0, and wind chills of 30 below 0.    The weather guy just said we were colder than Antarctica.     Hmmmm.    Gotta love Indiana:wacko::wacko:

• Members

Hi everyone. I started my new job today. It's just training for a week. So far it's good. 

My son's cat is in heat.  The meowing is going to drive me crazy. I told him he needed to get her spayed right away. Now just have to find that window if opportunity. Ugh. 

I'm going to go for now. I need to eat. Peace and love to all. 

Tina

• Members

Tina, great that you had a good start to your new job...sorry about the crazy cat thing, and on the super moon too. I hope that you get some sleep.

Peace All

• Members
My girl is in heaven

My dad passed a few hours ago. I was sitting right beside him. I got upset and my brother, sister in law and brother in law starting yelling at me. Stop it. Let him go. My brother in law very forcefully grabbed my shoulders to and yelled dont do this to your mother. It was an awful scene. They put me out of the room. A precious precious moment i had with my daughter taking my dad to heaven was taken away from me. They have no idea what i live with losing my child. I gave my dad a peace and comfort of going to look after Kira. He was on a mission. I am still in shock i cant believe what they did to me. It was like a bar room brawl. They had no right to take away my grieving my dad. If they chose to be stoic that was fine but i had every right to grieve in my own way. I will never forgive any of them for what they did. It was awful. It could have been a peaceful passing with kira and my dad but they went crazy on me. I am trying to calm down. I do have the peace of knowing my dad is not suffering anymore. He said to me a few days ago when you hear i am gone you will know i am with her. Omg im still trying to process what happened.

• Members

Louanne, I am sorry that this time with your Dad was interrupted so rudely. The most important thing is that you know that your Pop is with your Girl...that he isn't suffering and that he told you before he fell into his silence, that he will be with HER...what did your brother in law mean to not do this to your mother? Do what? Did they think that crying would keep your Dad anchored here? I am so sorry.

• Members

louann I am sorry you were so rudely treated. If there is no place more worthy to be upset than at a loved family members bed when they are transitioning over then where else is it more appropriate. Just remember feelings run strongly at upsetting times and anger always masks other emotions like fear loss of control and sadness. Everyone wanted your dad to slip away and maybe unjustly your family felt you were trying to keep him there when you were just grieving. No matter he is with Kira now. We have to accept everyone is different and it was an exceptionally stressful time for all involved. Another death certainly causes a grieving parent to experience a second bout of loss so do not be surprised if you experience a setback for a while that is normal. It just goes to show that grief causes a melting pot of emotions. men more commonly express anger when in a stressful situation because they try to take control. Anger is an easier emotion than crying for some people. Find yourself some private time to be with your dad and explain what you feel, whether it be in the funeral home or at his gravesite. He knows what is in your heart and the sorrow you carry. You are already fragile do not let this situation overwhelm you and be a catalyst for anger against your family you all have already lost so much. It is rare for everyone to feel a sense of peace at a passing in the beginning because of all the other emotions swirling around at the time. It is done your beloved dad is at peace now and he would hate to see his family angry and upset with each other. hugs

• Members

LouAnn, I am sorry about your Dad. At least you can take comfort in the knowledge that he is now free from his suffering and with Kira. How is your Mom doing? She is going to need you more than ever right now. 

Tina, I hope you were able to get a decent night rest given the nocturnal activities with your felines. :rolleyes:

Sandy, stay warm! That is cold for you. We had a one day break from the deep freeze and are back now at the bone chilling temps. Today's high is -22C. Right now it is minus 29C. Any way you look at it...it is is far too cold to participate in any outdoor activities. If you are living in areas that are not equipped for a really deep freeze... and you don't have the insulation around your water pipes then leave your water running slowly, or trickling to keep it flowing through the lines. Also, keep your cabinet doors open around the kitchen sink and bathroom pipes if needed. It will allow the warmth of the room to help to keep the pipes from freezing.

Dee, I was up several times last night. The moon was exceptional. It was so bright that at first I thought I had left a light on somewhere in the house. Last week we had rather amazing sun dogs due to the extreme cold. Great to look at BEHIND glass as my mother would have said.

• Members

The moon was glaring into the windows last night Kate, so bright and full, a super moon to start the year. It is 0 degrees again this morning though is supposed to climb to 14...I may forgo the gym in hopes of dressing for the weather and a nice walk or two...I really miss being outdoors but I am lucky too, to have a gym to attend. It is cloudy and trying to snow but the cold prevents much moisture for the most part. We had the kids over for a couple hours yesterday just so they have a change of households in this cold-can't -get-out weather. We had fun, they made the applesauce for dinner and we played and colored and had fun. In many ways, better this weather now on school break, even though I hate not getting out, but if school were in session, we would have had many days called off due to too cold for kids on bus stops. Then we would have to tag those days onto the end of the school year in June. (This is me trying to be positive).

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Louanne, I am so sorry for the loss of your father but Kira truly was there to reach out her hand and take him into her embrace.  I certainly agree with Lesley that some people have anger jump out because they cannot accept grief.  I am sorry it was taken out on you. You are fragile and need to take care of yourself. And that beautiful big moon that was out last night... before I went to bed I swear I saw a beautiful young girl and her grandfather dancing in its light.

• Members
Parker’s Mom

I am so grateful to have found this forum, like many of you, the holidays were difficult.  Christmas has been a tough time for me anyway, but this year, especially.  We lost Parkeker on December 3rd, unexpectedly.  One minute he was fine, happy, healthy, and the next, I got the dreaded knock on the door at 3am from the sheriff’s deputy.  My oldest son and I are the surviving members of our family, and we also have my significant other, who was not Parker’s father.  That’s a complicated story which I’m not up to sharing at this time.  But The three of us actually decorated the house for the first time in over 5 years, in Parker’s honor, and that did feel good.

But putting those decorations away, the home made ones, the boys had made, the crazy silly ones, and even the broken ones I haven’t been able to part with, all bring back so many memories.  I finally got them carefully packed and put away, only to have yet another huge crying session.  It seems so impossible that Parker isn’t here, and it feels so wrong, so terrible.  We feel like the worst thing that could have possibly happened, has happened, and we can’t even figure out which end is up.  It’s like nothing matters.  Except that many things do matter, we have each other, and we have a (mostly) loving family who have been incredibly supportive.  Now its just getting through each minute that we ca’t seem to figure out.  

• Members

Oh Sweet Mom of Parker, your Dear Boy is so handsome smiling out at us, smiling out at you all the time, forever smiling on You and his Brother. I know that this isn't enough, we all know that, that the loss that knocks our lives way out of orbit, out of kilter will make little to no sense for a long while and when you can put it together somehow, there will remain a huge pain in your lives. I love however that you know that there are still things that matter...that is a very important acknowledgement. You and your Son and significant other will travel many painful roads as you try to reconcile life without Parker physically in it, please know that we get that and we don't scare easily so please tell us all you can and want when it works for you to do so. How old is your Older Boy? How  is he doing? Did your Son have a seizure condition or was this random? I am so sorry Sweet Mom, and I am so glad that you found us as we are a very large family of sorts, at all different places in this grief. I have been here for 14 years as a means at first, like you, to find others to learn from, to be enveloped by, to weep with, and to put my life back together in some way with, but then stayed and stayed as it continues to feed my spirit in different ways to be here. When we reach out to help lift the next person up, we heal too, while doing for you and others what past members did for us. This feels like one thing I can do to honor my Girl, who died when a train hit her car at a broken crossing in Kalamazoo, Michigan where she was living at the time. We live just outside of Chicago. She and my Son were living there together with friends and taking a few classes. That was in 2003. I have not had a day since that I don't talk aloud to my girl, feel her nearby quite often. I promise you that at some point in your lives, you will laugh again and you will find happiness again, things will make sense one day, but grief will always be a part of what your heart will hold. Your heart will make accommodations for the grief, it will get tucked in right next to the joyful parts, and you will integrate these two side by side. I implore you and your family to be watchful of how you take care of yourselves...eat proteins and fruits and drink plenty of water and stay hydrated...I also caution you to understand some of the changes that may affect you over the next few months; shock will wear off in layers...generally we don't even kn ow that we are still protected some by it, until we shed a layer, and we are raw for a time, feeling that we have taken 10 steps backward...you will ache with it but you will be doing what we have all done, and after that first layer sheds, another will some months later, and finally at about a year, most or all of that shock is gone. We readjust with each shedding, and as much as we hurt, it is the process of deep mourning to do this. We are here to bounce off of. Hold on.

• Members
Parker’s Mom

Hi Dee,

Thanks so much for your kind words.  It does really help connecting with others who have had this experience. Parker started having seizures when he was 14.  He was put on a seizure medication that he reported as making him feel strange.  He complained of it often, but the doctor said he needed to take the medication anyway.  He was’t Terribly receptive to much of anything (the doctor).  Parker had struggles of his own in other ways through his teen years, many of which didn’t help him with the seizure disorder.  He eventually got to a place in his life where he was doing well again.  It was a rough ride.  

But through it all, he never did get the relief he needed, and never did quite get the seizures under control. He’d had many over the years.  Last year, much against his wishes, I tried really hard to help him by seeing a different neurologist, who had him try other medications.  The medications resulted only in serious mood problems, which he’d reported with that first medication.  He hated how they made him feel, and struggled emotionally with the side effects.

He started trying to treat it himself using CBD (marijuana is legal in Colorado), which helped, probably as much as anything else he had tried.  But he refused to go t the neurologist, as he said he totally lost trust in him.  He had a seizure just before Thanksgiving, and the emergency room was angry with him for not taking the prescribed medication.  He and I even had it out a bit just before Thanksgiving, but then we ended up dropping it, because it didn’t matter.  He spent Thanksgiving with my Dad and stepsisters, and my older son (age 26) and I visited my Mom in Washington State for Thanksgiving.  It was a really good holiday for all of us.  IN the time between then and December 3, he straightened out all of his relationships, got right with me, and was actually really very happy.

His last hours on this Earth were spent consoling a homeless man, who’d lost his wife and son recently, as well as having found out he was dying of cancer.  Parker was like that, he’d spend time helping people who needed someone, regardless of who they were.  If someone needed an ear, Parker was there for you.  He was pretty unconventional in many ways except when it came to love, and of that, he had so much to give.  

I was notified two days later, and it was confirmed that it was in fact a seizure.  I know there really wasn’t anything anyone could have done about it, but it is still so hard.  Doctors don’t really know much about seizures, and don’t often share how dangerous they can be.  Regardless, what I do know is that I gave him the freedom he so badly wanted in his life.  I also know that nothing would have stopped this, although I still play the “what if” game in my mind a lot.  Parker was a beautiful soul, still is.  We have had many dreams, strange experiences and basically contacts from him, letting us know he is safe and loved, and he regrets nothing in his life.  IN this way we’ve had many gifts.  It’s still just so hard, though.

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Dee, Kate and Lesley I’m still under the consultant urologists at the moment but feeling so much better. I have to be careful and they are keeping an eye on me but I’m recovering well thank you. 

Christmas was hard because it was always such a special time in our house. I miss that feeling but I made an effort for my girls and my granddaughters. We stayed with my oldest daughter who lives in London about two and a half hours away she wanted us to stay the night which was hard for us as we go to the grave everyday but the Priest at the church said he would light James’s candle and sit with him so that we could go.  We started the day early as I wanted to go to the grave before we left and we always go to the scene on Christmas Day as well so it was different for us this year because we left our safe place and faced the world but we had so many signs from James and I felt in my heart that he was happy we’d gone. 

These are my two granddaughters definitely heaven sent. I thought I’d share the story too. God Bless everyone be safe Georgina xxx 

AA1192C8-DCBC-4AF6-BF19-66EC260AA005.png

5899C82A-E73B-415F-821C-BA9E759B94DA.png

55409AAD-5050-4AAF-9D35-1F809065967E.jpeg