Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

gallery_312988_263_471400.gif

Francesca,

We say your son's name today...the day of his birth.

Michael, Michael, Michael, may your mom feel your special touch today.

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Michael, send love and a sense of your Peace to your Parents today on this Holy day, your Birthday. I hope that all of our Angels are partying with you...

Francesca, as lost as you feel, you are finding your way. We are holding your hand.

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Francesca, I know marking another birthday has had to have been so difficult for you but know that there are those who gathered around you to give you all the support we can.  Your Michael will never be forgotten and his spirit will always soar.

• Members

MICHAEL-----MICHAEL-----MICHAEL  SAYING

YOUR  NAME, AND------REMEMBERING YOU.......ANGEL   IN   HEAVEN.

Francesca---thinking of you and sending thoughts & prayers.

Dee-----Sending prayers for the family whose dear baby, Stephen, passed away from SIDS.

Such a sorrowful thing to happen. My heart squeezes as I think of them and their sorrow

and pain.   I, too,  have a rough time adjusting to warm weather one day, and cold the next. One

doesn't know how to dress, to meet the day...with the changes.

Linda----Being surrounded by loving family will help you.  It's so very painful, though,...

I know, and I'm sorry. Sending prayers.   I think that at one time or another,  all of us

here at BI (formerly called Beyond Indigo)....has lost a message in 'cyberspace'.  So

annoying after all the typing has been done, to have the message just disappear.

Susan----Your statement that after your son, John David,  passed, you felt as though you

were in a foreign land......everything so surreal and strange.  I had that same experience

both times...when Lisa passed, and again when David died. So disoriented and confused.

I guess it's the shock that sets in to somehow protect one's physical and emotional self.

Thanks for the screen shots.....very inspiring, and comforting.

Laurie-----Thanks for your writing.  My feelings so aligned with what you said....(you

said it so well).  We have the unenviable kinship of losing a dear babe at the infant age,

and then losing an adult son. You mentioned that you didn't have many pictures of

your baby. I didn't have a very good camera when Lisa was with us, so not many pictures

of her, either.  I have had remakes of those that I have, because after so many years, some

were really fading.  Peace to you, friend.

Dianne-----Yes, the holidays are especially difficult to get through.  It's understandable

that we can often feel sort of 'cut-off'  from a lot of other people when sorrow and pain

flood in.  Please, just take care of yourself and stay with us here.  We'll all get through

the holidays together.....the BI family.  

WISHING    ALL   INDIGOS   A    PEACEFUL   TIME  WITH  COMFORT  AND  SERENITY.

OUR  ANGELS   ARE WITH  US  ALWAYS.

Davey&Lisasmom,    Sherry  

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Francesca....sorry I am late in posting to you....for people that has not lost a child....they think that the angelversary is the worst day a parent can go through...little do they know that our child's birthday...with all the memories tied to it..the day they were born...and that angel was put in our arms and hearts..and then all the hoopla over the 1st birthday...1st tooth...day they walked...

(for me it was all the hoops I would jump through for their birthday)...a day of celebration....and then we hit the wall....and we search in all the corners to find what we can do....to keep our hands busy..our minds from going off the deep end...

So...all of us on this site knows how this day can break another piece of your heart....

We are here to hear you. Peace to you.

• Members
silverkitties

Francesca....sorry I am late in posting to you....for people that has not lost a child....they think that the angelversary is the worst day a parent can go through...little do they know that our child's birthday...with all the memories tied to it..the day they were born...and that angel was put in our arms and hearts..and then all the hoopla over the 1st birthday...1st tooth...day they walked...

(for me it was all the hoops I would jump through for their birthday)...a day of celebration....and then we hit the wall....and we search in all the corners to find what we can do....to keep our hands busy..our minds from going off the deep end...

So...all of us on this site knows how this day can break another piece of your heart....

We are here to hear you. Peace to you.

Couldn't agree more, Mermaid Tears...I think for most who grieve, it's not just the angelversary that stings (although it was the hardest for me this past year), but birthdays and any holidays that meant a lot. For me this year, my birthday was a most unhappy one and memorable for that: not because I'm a narcissist :) but because I couldn't help thinking that the woman who gave birth to me was no longer there :( It just was not the same not preparing a meal, having her present me with a special cake, and handing me several cat cards. I felt this back in 2014 when she was in the hospital....so strange to think then that 51 years ago, she was in a NJ  hospital giving birth to me and now she was in a hospital again. 

There were pangs too on her birthday--which she shares exactly with Liz Taylor. But one very odd thing happened towards the end of the day....the power stopped briefly towards midnight. I should have looked out to see if this happened to our neighbors but didn't. Was this a sign? I guess I'll never know (it's the last apparent sign too.)

Love those screen shots btw...esp. of the Scribbles and Crumb. Grief really takes a while. I was just posting on Jackie Kennedy in our own Daily Thread on the parent forum and mentioning how her grief took at least a year to resolve--that is, if it was ever so. Interestingly, she was told to "get over it" by her in-laws at the sixth month after the assassination of JFK--that she had to "move on" but that it was virtually impossible as she actually felt worse. Like a lot of us, she kept reliving the moment of his death, wondered if she could have done more to save him,  and if she would see him in the afterlife, if it was OK to commit suicide (thankfully, she didn't.)

Grief is a whole different world.  

• Members

Thank you all for remembering my Michael.......I survived his 2nd birthday without him , now Christmas is here & we all need to get through this.....god bless all of you, your angels & your families....I know this week will be busy for all .....you are in my thoughts..

Peace & love to my friends

Francesca

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

This is my J.D., about 10 or 11 years old, doing "Crank that Michael Jackson". This was his idol before Bob Marley.

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

Seems kind of quiet here lately...sending gentle thoughts to all during these next few days...difficult days...

Sherry, I appreciated what you wrote the other day...those feelings of infant loss, are still with us...

Becky, thank you for sharing the link of Jared, I know how much you are missing him.....how is your daughter doing?

Susan, as always thanks for the posting of the screenshots...for sharing as much as you do...

Dee, thoughts for the family with the infant loss, wondering how things went the other day...

I wanted to let everyone here know how much I appreciate the sharing...missing some of our moms and dads but know that life gets busy and sometimes a new healing phase begins...

I will say, I will be so glad when all this holiday business is finally OVER!

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Hi everyone. I've been reading most days keeping you and your angels in my heart and prayers. My heart is so broken that I just can't cope. I'm taking in all that you everyone here offers to help and I'm thankful for that.

We've finally found a solicter to take on our case He was absolutely shocked at the extent of the errors the police have made he realed them off to me one after the other ,the lorry driver was twenty three minutes into his rest break which is illigal and significant because they have to take breaks so they don't have accidents and kill people crossing the road. At the scene the police were concidering ' a distracted driver as a phone was seen' we were not told this.

It feels like everyone was against James at the scene and I just don't understand why.

There's a big But to all this and that's that we don't have any money. All this solicitor has done he's done for nothing we were given his name at ' the compassionate friends' retreat we went to but I don't know how much he will do without payment I just hope that he can get enough evidence together to do ' a no win no fee'

I'm sorry I haven't been replying I do try but I get so upset and I can't think.

Thankyou for all your support love and peace to you all

God Bless Georgina xx

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Laurie....your words stay with me....and Sherry.....in relating to how empty your arms felt after the loss of the little one...I so remember the way I would carry my little ones while trying to cook.....and then the 'phone dance'....holding them and trying to talk on the phone....and carrying them on my hip and vacuuming....

• Members

Georgina, you never have to apologize for not commenting, many of us had to withdraw early on too, it was too taxing to put into words the ways our hearts had crumbled, and when legal crap comes into the picture, it is truly an overwhelming time of over-stimulated brains. I do so hope that the solicitor will indeed take your case and serve you and James well and not ask for money up front, only if there is a win in court.

Laurie, the service was last night, my eyes ache from all of the crying. There was a block long trail of folks to get into this amazing church, a real fellowship of a place-outreach, no rituals, beautiful spoken from the heart kind of service, and music music music. Many of my former students and many moms and dads, some teachers and just an standing room only sense of communion. The Momma spoke from her very huge heart, she spoke and her husband spoke, and his dad gave a long wonderful winding story that brought us all back to the full circle that life is. I wept. I sat next to Marion who lost her adult daughter, Kathy, whom I knew and my children knew well. Kathy was on a lake in Alaska and drown 4 years after ERica died. She lives on the block where baby Stephen lived. Also there, my old student Julia, a beautiful girl who was in my first class after Erica died, I have a strong tie to that group. Julia lost her Daddy 3 years ago, and her brother was hit by a car 2 years ago and died. She and her Mom and I sat together at the after dinner. They also live on that same block. But my goodness, the block hosts at least 50 kids from the school where I teach.

I can honestly say that this family and Baby Stephen will be held and supported for all of time. Their goodness spoke to All last night when they saw the outpouring. Like all of us, they will find their way through the thick grief and find Stephen's light everywhere.

Sherry, thank you too for your kind words and memories of those empty arms. Here we are Girl, in the midst of holidays again, and we will continue to walk through it all. It is raining and thundering and even lightning here, it is 60 degrees. How very odd.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Dee.....what a circle of caring.....thank you for sharing....I so believe in the human spirit being so very strong...able to rise above....and bond those facing such heartache.....

we are proof....

Georgina.....I, too, hope a deal can be reached....please keep us informed.....

I think we all go into a 'holding pattern'.....I so miss 'my Christmas spirit and joy'....I so miss 'the way I use to be'....I so miss that feeling of having a 'full circle'.....

I so miss my boy....post-306805-0-55337100-1450896359_thumb.post-306805-0-46483300-1450896379_thumb.

• Members

Susan, I know that you miss your old spirit, the one that did it all at Holiday time, but here you are cheering others on and finding ways to make each day take shape. My half-hearted attempts at decoration at the holidays is plenty for my spirit now, no tree, we put some ornaments on a plant, we have a lot of house plants, and this one is a tall tree-like plant. A few decorations and that is it, no lights, no wreath his year. Some years more than others. It is enough for me and doing it this way means I don't go in that big box of treasures from when my Kids were little, which means I don't have to wrap them all  up to put away...that  made my heart ache the one time we did have a tree after Eri died. So in 12 years only once did we put up a tree. We have to wrap the Grandies gifts tonight as we will be at their home tomorrow, I look forward to that. We had my side of the family Christmas on Sunday, the grandies came and played with their many many cousins. I always love our family gathering.

No matter your plans, try to take some time for yourselves, try to have some quiet, some time to just be with yourself and your sense of things. Give this gift of quiet to yourselves.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

thank you, Dee, for sharing....I think others...will not feel the pressure after reading how some parents change their holidays...to accommodate to the change that comes...I, too, left many, many decorations in boxes...I decorated...but that is for the family....GRANDkids....

Hug those babies....they bring so much magic into our lives...

• Members

I agree Susan, we need to just do what is within our ability and want. It is deeply important to me, to have the time for the activities that matter most to my spirit. I took a good long walk to day in the wind, the sun which has been hiding for days, finally broke through the dark purple clouds causing such beauty. I was just so glad to be outdoors listening to, and watching all that was around me. Right now the winds here are gusting up to 45 mph, and sounds like huge waves crashing against rock.

Blessings to those in the paths of the tornadoes this evening. There will be sorrow through many townships and neighborhoods in the south. I pray for those whose lives have been damaged.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Be Safe...now......when I see big trucks on the roads...or planes in the air...I always say a blessing that they be safe...

Dee....thank you for all...that you have done for me...gave me my permission to cocoon....now I know you were giving me my permission to honor my instincts....

• Members
Mermaid Tears

post-306805-0-69241800-1450965814_thumb.post-306805-0-56380000-1450965824_thumb.

Sending blessings and healing to my friends on this site....I don't have enough words to express my gratitude for all that has helped me walk this grief journey....

• Members

Susan, I love the screen shot that speaks of being present with a wounded heart. It is so, acknowledging the woundedness of our spirits, walking with that ache, sharing our hearts broken and rebuilding, is the way to travel through grief so that one day, the warmth of that person, that dearheart that we miss so fully, is felt in each moment of our lives. Carrying them forward woven in all we do.

• Members

May all My Family here in this holy place we share, feel the presence of Angels and the sense of peace in the coming days. Sleep deeply and know that you are loved beyond words, same as your love for your Child. They will always be our Children, we will always be Their Parents/Grandparent.

Holy Night

• Members

Hello friends,

I want to wish everyone a peaceful holiday season.   I know it is tough for everyone.   It is the 4th Christmas without Sarah.    I decided to put a tree up this year.   I did it more for Maddie and Becca as I want them to enjoy the season as much as they can in the midst of the huge empty spot that is always here without their mama.   They have enjoyed it, and surprisingly my husband has too.  Guess it was the right thing to do.   I have struggled the past few weeks more, longing for the times with my girl.  I keep it to myself and am really fine with that.   I have learned that most of those around me don't want to speak of her, so I hold her in my heart and thoughts and relish the times I can be alone and just remember.  It brings the longing to see her back to the forefront, but that is the nature of this journey.   I certainly do not want to forget her.  Rachel and her family will be here Saturday and that will be nice.

My thoughts are with each of you tonight.

Sandy

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

Omg, it keeps duplicating! Wish my bank account worked like that, on the deposit side anyway! Lol

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

God bless each and every one of you and I pray for each household represented to have a blessed day. We are finding our footing, as this us our fifth Christmas season without our precious boy, J.D. I have decorated every year with favorite pictures of him that I printed into card stock paper, then used a hole punch to make hangers for the pics out of gold ribbon. Other decorations on the tree include white butterflies, white ponsiettas, and clusters of gold grapes, on a prelit tree. We string a few lights on our front porch rails, and that's about it. Very trimmed down version if what 'used to be', but this is the true nature if this type of loss, everything altered.

Jasmine is doing better, now that the court stuff is resolved, and put behind us, where it will hopefully stay! Thanks to all that inquired about her. She made three kinds of fudge and arranged in holiday jars, then also made the women on my list a 'spa in a jar' gift. With beauty items and special scrubs and bath salts, etc. She is so creative. Such a blessing in my life. She drives me to all my doctors appointments, and keeps my nails and feet cared for. We are there for each other, as others don't understand at all. Not would I wish it so. So thankful for this forum, which I refer to as 'my grief group' and husband Jerry and daughter, Jasmine know exactly what I mean.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

Sorry, duplicated.

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

Sorry. Again duplicated!

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

I quit!

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

Deleted. Sorry...

• Members

Thank you, Becky. It is good to hear you are doing much better.

Wishing everyone the quiet beauty of a peaceful holiday! Sending much love and hope for beautiful and comforting memories.

Love to All, Kate :)

• Members

we have an annual christmas eve brunch for 30-35 family, friends and strays that have no where to go. it went really beautifully this year. forest's best friend and her fiance stayed for hours as did his old girlfriend. it was beautiful after my last week horrible breakdown. i realized i couldn't get to the cemetery to clean up the day of the dead things and decorate for christmas. forest is buried an hour away. i went into total breakdown because the first time since he was born i was going to do nothing for him on christmas eve. i screamed and rolled and growled and moan and wailed until my eyes were nearly swollen shut. so my middle son logan (my sweet alcoholic loner baby)  had to leave for work yesterday evening after the festivities. in the night i found this posted then later removed from his  facebook.post-298275-0-19103200-1451067311_thumb.

so i hope something gave someone on here comforty over the holiday. dee my heart to you and your friends during this most crushing holiday.

• Members
TearsInHeaven

For all my friends on this sad journey

A peaceful time and a chance to hear music from our

beautiful child(ren).post-399979-0-74203600-1451069640_thumb.    

• Members

Dianne----Thank you for that beautiful screen shot.....How true it is.

Susan-----Yes, you are right....no matter how much time goes by.....

we still feel the loss of those dear angels. Without them, sometimes

our arms can seem useless.  After Lisa died, David came along

within a year . How that little guy helped me in my sorrow.

Dee------Weather is odd here too.   No snow here...just windy and rainy

at times.  Yep...... Another Christmas.  I went to visit my mom yesterday...

she is not doing well, and seems to be fading more.

Sandy---Becky----Kate-----Good to see all of you here. 

WISHING    A    PEACEFUL    CHRISTMAS    TO   EACH   AND EVERY  

ONE   IN  OUR  BEYOND INDIGO  FAMILY.

Davey&Lisasmom,   Sherry

• Members

Merry Christmas to everyone here.  It has been a long time.  I am getting by...  Not enough steps forward I guess.  Seeing a grief therapist.  I read and read and read posts as they come into my email.  Always thought I could do this...  It was a beautiful winter wonderland in Carson the last few days.  Pure white snow and peaceful.

graveside 12-24-15

Peace...love...hope to all!!!

• Members

lovely wade. i'm on my way to decorate for forest in the dark but i think there is a pretty full moon

• Members

The moon is shining in our windows tonight, bright and glowing.

Wade, terrific to see you here tonight, and thanks for the lovely photo. Gorgeous. We are snowless, and expecting more rain darn it. How are you and your wife doing? What was your Alaskan trip like?

Gretchen, what a lovely thing for your Son to do when he went to Forest's site to ready it for winter holidays. You be careful out there tonight. I am glad that the dinner went so nicely adn you were able to visit with good friends of Forest's.

Peace All

• Members

Wishing all a merry Christmas ......it doesn't seem right to speak those words but my love is with everyone here......wade good to hear from you, Brooks resting place looks beautiful with the snow.....we all go through times where we think we can do this....but then we stumble & fall too ur knees.....

I found out yesterday on FB that a woman I had met at Michaels funeral just lost her adult son a few weeks ago.....my heart is breaking for her.. ...I did message her & invited her to meet for coffee.....

So tired....so much going on but just too worn out to write more...

Peace & love

Francesca

• Members

post-298275-0-29096800-1451165337_thumb.

my friend went out in the flood to take a picture for me because i decorated in the dark. apparently torrnado on the ground 3 miles from the house headed our way. lol oklahoma

• Members

You did a fine job decorating in the dark, and I hope that the tornado lifts and leaves with no injuries and destruction. Stay safe Gretchen.

Mike's Mom, it was good of you to reach out to that Mom, she is going to need you at some point more than likely. How very sad. Holding you and this woman.

• Members

Gretchen, let us know you are fine after the tornadoes whipped through your area and Dallas area...Susan, I don't think you were in that line of storms but let us know you are fine as well.

Peace Folks

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Merry Christmas as much as it can be to all on this site. Peace and so much love to all our Angels.

Hold on. Georgina xx

• Members

Georgina, thank you for that rendition of a long-time favorite of mine. What a lovely version of the R.E.M. song. And it is true, you are not alone, and you must hold on.

• Members

There are many people I am thankful for, grateful to know...here are a few. My Son and Grandgirl, and my Grandboy.

post-261428-0-06017400-1451238417_thumb.

post-261428-0-61316700-1451238445_thumb.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Dee....we are fine in our 'sweet spot' in Texas....the Dallas area really got hit hard....we traveled to Humble, Texas on Christmas Day....our brother-in-law (Daniel's sister's husband) is on hospice now....and he asked if we would be with them this year....our son, Jason, and his family went there....our other children and families did not...(really was concerned about a huge crowd not really needed)....the next day we traveled to League City to visit with Jesse's family..my sister met us there...Randa and family were with us Christmas Eve....Daniel and I cooked a huge pot of seafood gumbo...and had lots and lots and lots of friends to drop by for a bowl...(that is what we use to do)...this is first time since John David passed. Daniel wanted to do it....that is a good thing.

This year I liked the 'idea' of Christmas rather than doing anything for Christmas...but I did carry through. I am glad it is over for this year. Really. I realized I did have to have a crying jag or two....a few meltdowns...I did turn off the Christmas music when I was feeling crumbally and about to fall apart. One has to learn how to protect those very sacred and soft..soft spots. They will always be soft.

Our 'new little man'...3 now....had stars in his eyes to wake up to 'toys' on Christmas morning....next year...he will be over the moon for everything Santa and magic....yesterday I could tell he was pretty worn out from all the excitement and people..people everywhere.

For all the parents on this site....hug yourself and pat yourself on the back that we made it through...a little banged up...a little worn....bedraggled....and shell shocked.....but we made it and we are very, very brave.post-306805-0-43049100-1451238491_thumb.post-306805-0-50391400-1451238474_thumb.post-306805-0-13468800-1451238508_thumb.

• Members
silverkitties

Dee, your grandchildren look very adorable--as does your son! 

I hope you've been holding up with the floods in IL (I used to live in the Chicago area.)

It most definitely does not feel like "Xmas in Connecticut" (to use the title of the 1945 Barbara Stanwyck movie), but Memorial Day: in fact, I'm going to go out and read on the deck.

So for me, there were very few Xmas triggers at home, but many spring and summer holidays....kept thinking of those happy days when my mom returned from rehab in May 2014. But this freakish weather does worry me a bit as it usually portends severe weather. I am really not anxious for a tornado (yes, we do get them occasionally) or one of those blizzards which can wipe out power for days...