Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members

Laural, so glad that your Son has a plan and will have the internal defib. I have a friend who has one and she has been doing very well since. It's been many years. And no, not a coinkidink, your helping a man with almost identical issues as your Boy...

Did you go to the mainland and return to Hawaii already? The photo is lovely.

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dee, my son had his defribillator in last year January when he had his cardiac arrest.  If it wasn't for the defribillator, he would've had another cardiac arrest last week.  The defribillator caught it, and did what it needed to do to take care of my son.  He is scheduled for open heart surgery in a few weeks to get his heart valve repaired or worst case scenario replaced.  I hope after this surgery, he can live a pretty normal healthy life, spend time with his family and watch his kids grow up.  I don't believe in coincidence either.  I was asked if they should reassign the case, but I declined stating maybe I can be of assistance to this young man.  God planned this for a reason.I have not gone to the mainland yet, I will be staying with my son and his family for a week once he gets out of the hospital for his surgery.  Glad you like the picture.  Pictures I post are those I have taken here in Hawaii.  I believe they can be very calming and soothing to the soul, and have included them in the book I just finished writing. 

Hope your day is going well.  Sending love and blessings to you and all those on this site.

Laura

post-403104-0-33592400-1437082674_thumb.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Steve's Mom....we are here for you.....all of us on this site knows how heavy our hearts become when we have 'that day'....

here we are....just earth parents....but we know when our child came to this earth home...and when they left...

Laural...I so agree with Dee...I don't think you meeting that young man was a coincidence..I can only imagine the 'care' he saw in your eyes....

your photos are so familiar....

• Members
Mermaid Tears

I 'forgot' how to post songs....anyway....I listened to this song..'Watermark' today....and the music sounds like what my heart is saying....

• Members

Was this the song?

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Oh yes...that is the song...I guess I need another 'class' in how to post songs...I think it was Laurie that instructed me...isn't it strange...that someone as 'smart' as I...can forget 'how' to do something...

it goes to show....how fragmented we become....isn't that song amazing ???

• Members
Sistergldnhair66

Happy Heavenly Birthday to Steve..hoping your mom feels your love today..

• Members
Shannon-Trista'sMom
Maryann, 

I'm thinking of you today, the day your Steve came to your arms. It will forever be a day of joy and tears. I hope you feel Steve's loving energy around you today as you celebrate his life and the love and joy he brought to you on this day. 

Steve Steve Steve

I'm saying your name out loud today to celebrate all that you are. Happy Birthday, Dear and show your Mom how near you are.

post-398403-0-23582700-1437137075_thumb.

• Members
Shannon-Trista'sMom

Dee and Colleen, 

I'm sorry I missed Eri's Angel day and Brian's Birthday. I may have missed others too. Trying to catch up on posts. I hope the day was filled with love and peace and the energy of Eri and Brian all around. 

post-398403-0-60422300-1437137721_thumb.

post-398403-0-64189300-1437137747_thumb.

• Members
Shannon-Trista'sMom
I've been so crazy busy lately. I try to get on and read when I can. We are finally settling into a routine so hopefully I'll have a bit more down time ( I say that and then... ) I read when I can and you all and this place is never far from my heart. We are doing well in our new place. It's been a learning experience for sure. I thought I knew a little about 'country life' but what I knew was small town life. Not the same at all. There have been moments when I've questioned my sanity but a few months ago I wrote something about my dream of a small farm with goats and chickens. Seems funny now because I absolutely knew nothing about goats and thought I knew chickens since I had a backyard flock of three. But here I am three months later with a small farm, two goats and a flock of chickens. 

I lost my first flock to a raccoon problem. Heartbreaking. My coop has now been reinforced stronger than Fort Knox and no more problems. The only survivors from the first attack were a small call duck who we now call Lucky Duck for obvious reasons and one baby chick. We call it Baby Chick because we have no idea what sex it is yet. Baby Chick is a favorite. He is small enough to get out of the cage I set up for it through the bars but the big chickens, who like to pick on him, cannot get in. So he runs out and taunts them until they chase him and then he runs back in. When the boys and I go to the barn we have to be careful not to step on him because he loves to ride on our boots. He also loves us to pick him up and then he climbs up on our shoulder where he sits looking down at the other birds. I am, now that I know the coop is safe, going to get a few more babies so he isn't so lonely. 

My goat girls are lovely... Makeda and Nagisa. Makeda was my first. I bought her already in milk so we could learn that. She's a Nubian dairy goat so Zak decided she needed the name of a Nubian queen. Her full name is Makeda, The Queen of Sheba. I call her Mak. Nagisa is a young doe. I may breed her in the fall if we're ready for that but I mainly got her to keep Mak from being too lonely. Goats are very social, I've learned, and Mak would cry every time I left her. They are both very loving and gentle with the kids. 

So we now have fresh eggs and I've learned to milk a goat. I've even made butter and cheese. We've gotten some chances to explore our woods and hillside but it's been so wet and mucky it's been difficult. Every time I do though, I fall more in love. Everything I'm doing is done with my Girl in my heart and on my shoulder. She is with me in all I do in ways that only you all can understand. I know she loves what I'm trying to do and I still feel the guidance and 'help' with it all. Yesterday, I met a woman who had goats for years. She and her husband are older now and have stopped raising them. She has given all the things I still needed for my goats in exchange for fresh milk. 

We've decided on a name for our little farm. It will be Mystic Moon Farm and the Triple Goddess Symbol will our symbol to honor our Trista Mae. 

I plan to catch up on more posts later. Sending my love to all. 

Here a few pictures from our adventures. 

post-398403-0-97480400-1437140785_thumb.

post-398403-0-23542000-1437140814_thumb.

post-398403-0-47825500-1437140830_thumb.

post-398403-0-64219900-1437140862_thumb.

post-398403-0-44537100-1437140900_thumb.

post-398403-0-64438300-1437140921_thumb.

post-398403-0-03827000-1437140957_thumb.

post-398403-0-60417000-1437140976_thumb.

post-398403-0-67068300-1437141010_thumb.

post-398403-0-57904000-1437141054_thumb.

post-398403-0-37152000-1437141088_thumb.

post-398403-0-50010200-1437141121_thumb.

• Members
Shannon-Trista'sMom

Just got back from the barn and caught up on a few more posts.

Dee, your poem is beautiful and perfect. 

I wanted to say welcome to the new names I see. You have found a good place as I'm sure you've seen. It's always heartbreaking to see anyone new on this journey but I'm also always so glad to see someone going through this make their way here. I'm so so sorry you have to be here though. 

I saw this today and wanted to share. 

post-398403-0-92134600-1437146068_thumb.

• Members

MaryAnn, blessings on this date and everyday.

What a wonderful Boy/Man your Steve was and is. He is with you all the time, riding along your life.

STEVE, you beautiful Boy, have a party with our Angels today, everyday is a Birthday, today we honor yours.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

post-306805-0-29993800-1437149302_thumb.post-306805-0-21566900-1437149354_thumb.

Mary Ann.....we know you opened your eyes this morning and your thoughts were on that day when Steve was placed in your arms...

Sending you all the care and comfort from one Mama to the other....

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Shannon....so good the hear from you and the boys..more later...have to go....I know now that prayers are answered...

• Members

Haven't read today, though saw Shannon posted many photos, can't wait to look. My great niece overdosed, found out this morning, she is fine well, as fine as one can be after overdosing. She will get treatment once out of the hospital. She wanted to die she said, but then posts on her twitter how much she loves her friends and smiley face this and that. In the meantime, she posts about her drugs and drinking binges right there on her twitter page... she is 17. Don't get it, seems to beg for attention and then still tries to get more, and then wants to die and then wants to party...

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Dee....am so sorry....so tragic for the family...and a tragedy for these teens...their minds are so ravaged by the drugs..

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

Steve, we say your name out loud today on the day of your birth...

Mary Ann, may sweet memories hold you today.

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

Shannon, how wonderful are the pictures you posted. Love the chicken story. I am glad to hear you are getting your footing in this new place.

Dee, I am sorry to hear of the grandnieces overdose. Drugs are an ugly thing that snares so many people...Prayers that she may get the help she needs.

Leah, you are in my thoughts with the recent passing of your mother. Your love for your mom was so evident and the care that was there to send her off to her new home was so loving.

Susan, the time away from home was good...my daughter needed a change of scenery too....

• Members

Thank you Laurie adn Susan and All for your hopes for my great niece. Two addicted people that I love in our family right now, one is my Sister's Son, and the other is her grandgirl. Just sad.

Shannon, I am so glad for your life on the farm, your beautiful place. Your description of the place and what you are learning is wonderful, I am so deeply proud of you, taking on a huge change and making it work. I love the photos and the earlier screen shot, RUMI is the King of wonderful perspectives. I wish you more chickens for Little Chick, and I love Lucky Ducks name. The eggs are gorgeous in their colors and spots.

• Members
Shannon-Trista'sMom
Dee, I'm so sorry to hear about your great-niece. Addiction is such a struggle. As you know, I've dealt with so much of it in my own family and I have no answers but I am sending prayers. 

Just wanted to say thanks to Gretchen, Dee, Susan and Laurie. Sorry for overloading the pictures. That's what I do. I take pictures of everything and then when I don't post for a month... watch out! 

This place has been amazing for me and I feel my Tris so close here. When I'm working with the animals... when Makeda is nuzzling me for attention... when Baby Chick climbs up to my shoulder... I know it sounds silly... innocent... but I feel my Girl so close. 

I've been taking a lot of pictures of my flowers...especially in Trista's Garden and I add quotes that help me. Here is one. Maybe it will be good for someone else too. 

Love you all. 

post-398403-0-53324600-1437198991_thumb.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Shannon....post as many photos as you want....am sure many feel as I do....that we have been on this journey with you...your grief journey has had some very sharp and dark twists and turns...

many times....I would think and pray for you and the boys...wishing I lived 'down the street' so I could help you in human form...

the photos say so much to me....I feel as if you have had a 'homecoming'....and you have done an incredible job of wrapping your arms around your boys and 'swooping them away' to a place where not only can you live....but ...thrive...I so love the photo of Aiden in those overalls.....the eggs look like they have been dyed....love your animals....and it does look like a perfect 'Trista place'.....and we see why you feel your girl is there and so close to you....

I feel as if I would be right at home if I was your neighbor.....

I really can't explain how joy came in my heart when I saw the photos....

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

Shannon, I agree with Susan. It looks like a lovely place.

Laura, are you leaving yet for the mainland for your son's operation?

Georgina, how are you doing?

Kate, thinking of you and Ross today.

Thinking of so many others that drop in here and post. Sending gentle thoughts for the day.

• Members

Hi Everyone, I have not posted for some time. Personal health issues, etc. I have been reading posts a few times a week and think of all of you on a daily basis. Thanks to everyone for your concern and kind words. Sending warm thoughts to all for a peaceful weekend.  Kate

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Kate....if all you can do is read ..that is just fine....just take care of yourself and we will be thinking of you and sending layers of prayers that you will be in good health soon.

• Members

Laurie, not yet.  Right now surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks.  Gotta love this emotional rollercoaster, not.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

post-306805-0-09030800-1437250233_thumb.

Summer is here...along with all the summer memories....

Going to Port Aransas is so...so hard on me....but....I do for my amazing children and GRANDchildren...we are still the maker of memories for them.....

• Members

Kate and Sandy and all of our loved and revered members that have not been here for a while, know that you are always being kept in prayer and thought. Kate, I hope that you find wellness again soon.

• Members

HAPPY   HEAVENLY   BIRTHDAY........STEVE.

MaryAnn----Thinking of you, and wishing you peace.

Susan-----Yes...I guess we all have had those 'weak in the knees'  moments

from time to time after losing a beloved child.  As you say...the 'shock suit'

fits tight, especially early on,  but gives us a measure of protection.  Glad

you are sleeping a bit better. :) 

Shannon-----Glad to hear that you are getting settled in your new place.

Thanks for the delightful descriptions of all that is going on at your small

farm. So nice that you have the two goats.  They are great little animals,

and of course, give you milk.  I imagine that your boys love them, ......

along with the chickens.  I have had goats and chickens to look after

quite some years ago, and it brings back lovely memories.  Glad the Lucky

Duck, and Baby Chick survived the raid by the racoons...(those rascals) :( 

You are so energetic and skilled to be able to make butter and cheese

from the goat's milk.  My mom used to make butter (years ago) but never

tried cheese that I know of. Wishing you lots of luck, Shannon.  You

sound so happy at your new home, and I'm happy for you & your little family.

Laural----Sending prayers for your dear son's upcoming surgery. Thanks

for the lovely pic of the shore.

Dee-----sorry to hear about your grand-niece having an overdose.  I hope

that she will recover well, and possibly get help.  I made a black raspberry pie

a couple days ago. We had many to pick this year. The garden is holding on,...

but it remains to be seen how well the yield will be for the tomatoes and peppers.

We did get some beets....but nowhere near the amount we normally would get.

Lots of onions though!  Our shasta daisies are so nice this year, but black-eyed

susans doing poorly.  Oh well......with nature, we take what we get, and are happy

with it.  Bluebirds nesting under the eaves on the elbow of a downspout.  So nice

to see them.  They took up residence in a nest that was built & occupied by a

robin last summer.

Leah----Continuing to send up prayers for you & your family.  Peace.

Kate----Good to see your post.

WISHING  PEACE   AND   COMFORT TO   ALL   INDIGOS.

Davey&Lisasmom,   Sherry

• Members

Sherry, the bluebirds sound lovely to have near you. I did not know that they will use an old nest from another bird...your blackberry pie sounds delicious. Yes, it is an odd year as far as yield. I went to our farmers market today and one farmer said that they have lost a lot this year due to the flooding rains. That farmer was from Indiana.

We should have a lot of tomatoes at the school garden before long, but I am not checking on it until Monday. I have two Women taking turns watering and I will take it back to do next week.

Tomorrow is our ERI-Fest. Praying for dry conditions and no storms. We had a couple doozies today. Some big trees went down a few blocks away. Oak leaves blew off the trees across our street, with such vigor it seemed like one of those wind shears.

I will attach a few photos of flowers:

post-261428-0-91736800-1437265893_thumb.

post-261428-0-51830900-1437265918_thumb.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Dee...wishing you a cloudless day...full of sun....so family and friends can join together....a circle of love and remembrance for your girl...

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Dee-hope today brings you some comfort as you celebrate the life of your beautiful daughter.  She is probably waiting to see all the balloons and love coming her way.

Shannon- your new life sounds like a wonderful gift.

Last weekend and this weekend were holding new marker days for us and we are trying to get through them.  This particular page of posts seems to hold a little bit of goodness ( except Dee I am so sorry to hear about your niece.Drugs are destroying so many young lives and their families.) and it makes me feel that one day we will reach the point of looking back on memories and actually being able to smile.  Still so many tears in our family. Life is in such turmoil for us.  Will we ever look forward again?  Will Michael's loss ever stop strangling our hearts?  Then and now--- I am really not liking the now I am in.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

post-306805-0-26396600-1437321444_thumb.post-306805-0-52575000-1437321466_thumb.post-306805-0-96020500-1437321490_thumb.

Dianne....none of us had a choice in where we are now....

I get so very tired of this kind of grief....so tired of having to carry the weight of this sadness...it will not budge..I, too, am trying so hard to find a way through this path of emotional landmines...so I don't blow up...whatever pieces of my life I still have...some days are good...some days are better....some days are bad...and some days are worse...

• Members
TearsInHeaven

Thanks, Susan.  Emotional landmines is a perfect description.  You are so right--this burden just seems to get heavier and heavier.  Every time I think I can be at a functioning level- BAM! there it is again.  Thanks for all of your clip-its.  They say a lot.

• Members

Diane...your life will once again be happy...albeit in a different way. Everything changes slowly. It takes time and a great deal of flipping back and forth with our emotions. Eventually, the smiles will return. Thursday was my son's 34th birthday. Or rather... it would have been. We are coming up to the six year mark in December. We celebrated his day in a true celebration... as it was the day he entered our lives. We have so many happy memories that warm my heart. Those memories will never go away. 

Dee, your photos are lovely. Please let us know how your day went. I enjoyed reading your poem...very nice.

Shannon, I love all of the pics you shared. It sounds as if you are settling into your new home nicely.

Leah, I am thinking of you and hope you will let us know how you are doing. 

Sherry, how are you?

Laurie, thanks for your kind wishes. I appreciate it.

Wishing everyone a day filled with peace. Kate

• Members

Just lost my entire post.....GRRrrrrrrrrr :angry: 

Kate-----I'm doing OK, and hope you are too.  Have you had any 

bad storms there?

Dianne----You said it so well.....that losing a child strangles the heart.

That's just what it feels like.  Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

Dee----Oh my gosh....your pics of your flowers/yard are just lovely!

I'm afraid I don't have nearly as many flowers. We're starting to get

sunflowers blooming now, and the shasta daisies were so nice this

year....I guess they must have liked all the rain we had in June/July.

The baby bluebirds make such a happy racket with their cheeping

when the adult birds come into the nest with food for them.  Looks like

two parent bluebirds are doing the foraging/feeding duties. I happened

to be watching one day when one bluebird came flying in, and another

bluebird flew off. Guess it takes lots of food for the babies.  Wishing clear skies for

the ERiFest.  May sweet ERi smile down and warm the hearts of all

who love her.

Susan----Thanks for the screen shots......always luv seeing them!

PEACE   TO   ALL   INDIGOS.

Davey&Lisasmom---Sherry

• Members
Steve s mom

Thank you all for rembering Steve on his birthday

• Members

ERI-Fest was a beautiful event this year, as it has been. Each year different by the combinations of folks that come...by the weather, by all the forces that can add to a day. Yesterday though, the chances of thunderstorms of 60% went completely away and there was not one drop of rain, and in its place, some partly cloudy skies, warm temperatures and perfection for a summer outdoor gathering. By my guess, there were about 65 or so people here/ we had a water table for the babies, a little kid pool to fillup water spray bottles for a water fight for the older kids, tons of chalk that some took to creating with and some took to smashing to smitereens...croquet in the front yard and lots of just wonderful visiting. I have not yet looked inside of the collection box to see what I will be able to add to the Erica Reith Fund, but I will do that soon. I went to bed only after the kitchen was cleaned and that was at around 12:00. All visitors left by 9:30, earlier these days as so many have little ones. My two graND kIDS were loving the day outdoors with so many people, so many other kids. It was pure fun. I will post some photos later.

Until then,

thanks for the good thoughts.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Makes my heart smile that the weather cooperated with the fun gathering of all that love your girl...post-306805-0-82976000-1437419912_thumb.

• Members

Love that screenshot Susan, thanks...

My Son and Grandgirl upon watching the balloons climb toward the heavens...and other photos-post-261428-0-94248300-1437428663_thumb.post-261428-0-38803900-1437428700_thumb.

• Members

The photos were conformed correctly until I attached them here...

• Members
Mermaid Tears

thanks for sharing Dee....I see the GRANDgirl is getting some hair....when the twins were little...Tay had hardly any hair..and Hunter Bear had a head full  of rich  brown thick wavy hair to his shoulders....when she was around 3/4....it finally started growing....

love those balloons...and all kids love that sight...I know you were in a good place in your heart with all the people circling the wagons for you and yours...

you teach me that it is not only possible to move forward..but how to carry remembrance in each day....

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

Hi I loved the photos Dee. Can I ask what is an Eri feast and Erica Reith fund??

I'm so glad the sun came out for your family party your Son is a handsome young man and your grand daughter is so cute.

I'm so struggling every day! my husband is in pieces I'm scared!

my counsellor thought I looked worn out tonight.

My husband keeps saying

Over and over "I can't believe he's gone" "I want him back and it's his fault"

I just do t know how to help him I can't go to the thoughts he goes too I have to skip those

Much love to you all.

Georgina xx

• Members
Sistergldnhair66

Thank you all for being here. I was given the opportunity to be in this video. Amidst the ugliness..is the beautiful face of my boy. I wanted to share with you all..he is around minute 7

https://vimeo.com/129560622

• Members

Georgina, I am so sorry that your Husband is not able to quit blaming himself, it is so very difficult when we feel we are the protector. I guess one of the biggest things we learn about, is that we don't have control. That is a scary thought but of course if we had it, they all would be here. Is your Husband able to discuss his thoughts or is he stuck in the event? I am glad that you are going to a therapist.

The Eri-Fest is an annual event in our yard, to honor Erica. We for a Sunday near her date of death, and celebrate her life and her wonderful ability to bring folks together. It is a combination of Erica's friends, my Son, Jon's friends, lot's of family(cousins, nieces, nephews, great nieces...) my Grand-kids, and many friends and co-workers. Erica and Jon went to the school where I teach, though I was not a teacher there when they were young. So when Erica was killed by the train 12 years ago, we received money from many people. I did not understand what the money was for, so I saved it for a time until I knew what we would do with it. We started the Erica Reith Fund, which is a service that supplies kids from the school I teach, with school gear, clothing if needed, sports team tuitions, field trips, lunch program, summer swim passes, winter skate passes, sometimes musical instrument rental...a myriad of things to help round out the lives of those in need. These are families who cannot afford the extras, so I write a check with my Girl's name on it. This year I wrote over 1,300 for swim passes for 6 families. I can't imagine Erica and Jon growing up without access to the pool in the neighborhood. We spent most days there. So Eri-fest is a gathering in which we provide food and drink, everyone joins in and we have a collection box. If folks want to, they put money in the box. I still have not looked inside but I will in the morning. The money will go to the Fund and help out with next school seasons'' needs. It seems an Erica thing to do.

Susan, I see in the close up that my Grandgirl had some food on her face, we had a lot of good things to eat. I made 6 punds of black bean salad, a huge fruit salad, Smore's bars, blueberry cobbler, and bought 20 pounds of beef for Italian beef sandwiches. Others brought salads of many kinds and deserts too and we feast.

• Members

Eileen, my goodness what a powerful video, thank you for sharing it here. I thank you for your bravery and honesty in your words as well. Your Beautiful Boy pictured to let us see his lovely face adn feel your loss. I don't know what it will take to keep kids and adults from ever taking heroin the first time...we as a collective must find some way to make it change. I had to exclude my sweet Nephew from Eri-fest this year due to his addiction...he just can't be around folks and not feel inclined to take from them in order to score. What a sad place he is in. Prayers for you and many thanks,

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Eileen....I started watching the video but have to stop and run some errands...I do hope it stays up...for I do want to watch all of it....

I do believe we are all so brave....to move in this dark kind of grief...

You are so brave to put forth this truth....

Georgina....please tell your husband over and over...he never had a super human control...only a super human love for his son....

• Members

Georgina, Susan and Dee are correct.  Some things we just don't have control over, and we could play a million "What Ifs" and it wouldn't change anything.  Our children would not want us to be stuck there, and would want us to move forward.  My husband and I both felt a lot of guilt with our son as well since he was the one driving the car.  The police had told us that it was just a freak accident, and rain plus driving an unfamiliar car were huge factors.  They think he stepped on the gas instead of the brakes.  I love what Susan said about having "super human love".  Just be there to help support him and let him know that you will continue to move forward together.  Sending you love and blessings.

Dee, glad you had such a beautiful day for your Eri-fest.  What a loving tribute. 

Sending love, light and blessings to all.  God Bless You All!