Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How to move on when caring for someone was your whole life

BreathofAngel

• Members

I took care of my sick mother while she was dying from cancer. I was her nurse and caregiver 24/7. Most nights I didnt even sleep just watching her. The days seemed to not be long enough to do the things I had to do for her and care for my 4 yr old son as well. She passed away 2 weeks ago and I find myself sitting at home with nothing to do and so much free time I dont know what to do with. I feel like everyone else (my siblings, family etc) can go back to their normal lives somewhat and do the things they did before. But me, my whole world was her. Caring for her, talking with her, loving her. Now I feel soOO lost. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
BreathofAngel

I took care of my sick mother while she was dying from cancer. I was her nurse and caregiver 24/7. Most nights I didnt even sleep just watching her. The days seemed to not be long enough to do the things I had to do for her and care for my 4 yr old son as well. She passed away 2 weeks ago and I find myself sitting at home with nothing to do and so much free time I dont know what to do with. I feel like everyone else (my siblings, family etc) can go back to their normal lives somewhat and do the things they did before. But me, my whole world was her. Caring for her, talking with her, loving her. Now I feel soOO lost. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am very sorry for your loss, dearheart, and offer my heartfelt condolences on the physical passing of your Mother. As for your free time, you might wish to consider doing some volunteer work for a cause. That is something that is always open and very much needed and does a heart good! I know you miss your dear Mom but when the inevitable happens we must immediately sit up and take notice with a clear mind of the situation so that we are not totally engrossed in experiencing things that could be deleterious to our own well-being as an aftereffect. Your Mom will always live with you in your heart, dearheart, and she will truly never leave that relationship that you two had. There can be no doubt that she is very grateful to you for helping her during her time of need.

May God bless you and keep you strong and able to move forward on your life's journey.

Archived