Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Hospital killed her

Anamika

• Members

My mother had her kidney removed on 07/05/12 to rid the "cancer". She rode the 3 hours home with me after, so I could care for her. Two weeks after the surgery, she still wasn't recovering. She had puss, odor, and pain in the incision site. We called the urologist who performed the surgery, and he instructed her to see her MD. I took her home, she followed up with her MD, who confirmed she had staph, and have her antibiotics. She then received a phone call 3 weeks after surgery, to tell her the test showed no "cancer" in the kidney they removed... Eight weeks after surgery, my mother was gone. She passed from septic shock, heart attack, bowl obstruction, an stroke. I do know staph causes septic shock, as it is a blood infection. that then shuts down the vital organs, causing bowl obstruction, heart attack, stroke...all a domino effect!! , I feel the hospital is responsible. She would be here today without the staph, (wouldnt have staph without them performing un necessary surgery) due to them..what do I do???

• Members

Hi RMS

I am so sorry for your loss and in such a terrible way. I would consult with a good solicitor, if nothing else you will at least get some answers, I think you at least deserve that. God bless and take care

• Members

Hospital killed my dad too. He was young healthy , no meds, no diabetes , pressure , cholesterol or anything. He had a mild infection, develo

• Members

And we took Him to hospital. They said its alright, not life threatening at all, didn't even provide enough info . We moved hospitals in hope of better care and last hospital argued and did not provide us basic care once we said we are moving him. The next hospital said it was late but they are doing best etc but 5 days later he died of septic shock. Sepsis. I will never know what actually happened to my healthy father who was very active and on great shape. I know the hospital caused his death but there is not much I can do about it now. I stays miles away from hospital, actually on another Country . It will also terribly upset my mom to find out my dad could have been alive. She already suspects so.

• Members

Hospital killed my mom too. She went in for a stent and a balloon angioplasty in her lower leg. They discharged her when they were not supposed to (she was coughing the day of discharged, but the staff dismissed it). Within hours, Im taking her back to the ER. They said it was ARDS - it was ultimately sepsis that killed her. I become an MD in April. I never hated hospitals so much.

The only way I try to console myself is thinking that we all have a 'written' day to go. Despite the reason - cancer, heart attack, freak accident, the day it's written to go - that's it, it's time to go.

• Members

Mummy247-I am so sorry for your loss. My father died of eventually sepsis as well. They didn't tell us, I had to find out from death certificate. My father had cough too. Do you know if sepsis is something hospital folks could have possible controlled or prevent from happening in the first place. My father was completely heathly- no existing ailments, no meds. He just had a very bad cough and things eventually ended up like this. I don't know if I will ever have an answer. Your words consoled me to some bit. Regardless of the cause, everyone has to go some day....and there will be some way in which it happens....take care .

• Members

I just spent 16 minutes trying to get my words out.. when somehow it skipped to the previous page and I lost everything. I guess I'll share another time. But overall, the hospital killed my father, I have the proof through hours of research of peer-review journals and his full hospital records and reviewing the medication contraindications .. I'm just not sure what to do with it yet.

Hospitals are very protected. In Ontario, we have an ombudsman office for every major organization.. but not for hospitals. Hospitals have Patient Relations aka to protect the hospital from media exposure (I never dealt with them). In terms of the outbreak .. the next room to my father was a patient with C-Difficile.. in the ICU. That's the room for the most vulnerable patients... hospitals need to do better. I read RMS1977's initial post asking what can be done... it's a very good question. Hospitals will stand behind the notion of protocols and that those protocols are being adhered to. My other thought is to rally people together and speak with their MPP (in Canada) or equivalent. They are paid to take citizen concerns seriously. Change must happen to save lives and families the pain of having to lose someone to a stupid infection. It should be criminal (or negligence).

• Members
Mommachobo

I lost my mother to septic shock as well in dec 2012.. she entered the hospital in august with what we thought was just an infection. the following morning we found out that she had flesh eating disease... they removed the majority of the flesh from her legs but did not lose her legs. she spent 21 days in a coma and weeks in the ICU... 12 weeks after we got the first diagnosis we found out that she had caught in infection from her catheter (because she couldnt walk due to the surgeries on her legs) Her infection turned into a blood infection... which essentially was the cause of her death... septic shock.

There has been many times that I wanted to go after the hospital for what I thought were faults, the thing i have now realized that I doesnt change anything... it wont bring her back. I keep telling myself that they helped keep her alive for 13 weeks when we thought all hope was lost...

I totally understand where your frustration is coming from.

Archived