Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

No one understands - lost my best friend to anorexia

Cpendle

• Members

My best friend died unexpectedly this spring due to anorexia. She was a little over eighteen years old. I still think about her every day, but it seems like no one else does. Nobody understands what it's like for me... I just miss her presence in my life. I have no one talk to about it. When I tell people at work or college or whatever that she died from anorexia they don't know how to respond. It really did feel for awhile like I was taking care of someone with a terminal illness, I worried about her every day and each day was a struggle. I know it's wrong but sometimes Ithink how much easier it would be of she had passed away from cancer or some other "real" disease, so that Icould talk to people about her without it being so weird. I just feel totally alone in the world.

• Members

Kate,

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend due to anorexia. My sister was hospitalized when we were younger because of the dreadful disease. I work with women at a prison who struggle with the disease, too. The ravages of anorexia are terrible, but many people just don't understand how serious and life-threatening it can be.

You can talk to us, we will be here for you. And that's okay about the triple post--I deleted two of them for you. :)

ModKonnie

• Members

Kate-

Two months ago I found my best friend dead in our apartment. She was twenty-one and had a seizure due to her eating disorder. I've struggled as you have with not knowing how to take care of her and constantly being terrified something would happen because of her seizures and close calls. You're right. People who haven't seen this and felt this don't understand. But I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. And don't feel ashamed or weird talking about it. I think that more people need to hear our stories and understand how truly danger eating disorders are and how much they affect people's loved ones. I struggle daily with mixed feelings of being furious with her for doing this to herself and trying to remind myself that she was sick. I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand what you're going through, and I just hope things will get better for you.

-Carlee

Archived