Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

nervous all the time

tallnutt

• Members

Hi,

I lost my mum a few weeks ago. I was ok until the funeral but since then, which was very traumatic, I've been feeling really nervous and on edge, snappy, all the time. I don't want to ask for drugs.. but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone had the same feelings? I'm 42, old enough to know better!

Thanks,

tallnutt

• Members

Tallnutt,

I am very sorry about the loss of your mother. Anxiety, fear, anger, loneliness and a slew of other emotions are all perfectly normal during the grieving process. Do you have people to talk to at home? Other family, friends or coworkers to share your feelings with?

Perhaps you should talk to your health care professional about your nervousness. He/She may be able to offer some good advice for how to cope.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

From what I have experienced since November 4th when my Dad passed what you are feeling is normal. I'm in some revolving door of anger, sadness and anxiety. I went to a grief counselor but it really wasn't for me. There is no shame in going to a psychiatrist for medicinal help. What you're going through is the hardest thing imaginable. I keep getting told it gets better but it hasn't for me but I hold out hope that it will. I have to because there is no alternative. You aren't alone in your feelings, not in the slightest.

• Members

Hi tallnut,

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my a few months ago and have felt the exact same feeling as you. It's perfectly normal no matter what age you are. I went and spoke to my doctor and was given tablets to deal with my anxiety. They helped a bit but the feeling are still there. People say it gets easier with time I don't know if that's true or not. I find talking about it helps but sometimes you don't want to burden other people with your feelings when they don't really know what your going through. Maybe talk to your doctor see of there's something they can do for you!

• Members

They said the loss of a parent is the stark reminder of our own mortality. Your nervousness (or anxiety) is completely normal in the context of your grief. It's a common thread that will follow you through the stages of grief - into your ultimate acceptance.

Have you considered therapy as another alternative outlet to your current anguish? It may help to vocalize some of these nervous thoughts to a qualified professional who can rationalize your concerns.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Members

Hi,

yes that's pretty much how I feel. I'm going to wait for a bit to see how things go.. Xmas is a especially difficult I find.

It does help to discuss things on here though.

Thanks.

Hi tallnut,

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my a few months ago and have felt the exact same feeling as you. It's perfectly normal no matter what age you are. I went and spoke to my doctor and was given tablets to deal with my anxiety. They helped a bit but the feeling are still there. People say it gets easier with time I don't know if that's true or not. I find talking about it helps but sometimes you don't want to burden other people with your feelings when they don't really know what your going through. Maybe talk to your doctor see of there's something they can do for you!

• Members
ForeverRemembered

Hi! I am 42 years old and I too feel the same way! I lost my mom in September. Hang in there. It will get better!

• Members

Hi! I am 42 years old and I too feel the same way! I lost my mom in September. Hang in there. It will get better!

thanks very much. still feel the same. xmas has been difficult though.

• Members
Brokenheart22

I lost my mom this past October and have had horrible anxiety/panic attacks. I tried my physician and was given a med but had devastating side effects so now I am on my own. I have found this forum very helpful to just be able to talk to others with the same issue so you don't feel so crazy. I've also used Facebook and talk with others privately that I know has lost loved ones. Face it...unless someone has been thru it there is no way they can understand what we are going thu! I have been listening to meditation CDs before bed and they have helped immensely (never meditated before in my life). I also picked up some theanine From the health food store to reduce stress and anxiety that I take if needed, they help. I feel this is something I have to go thru and not around so why put off the inevitable, my as well face it now and go through all these wonderful (not) stages of grief. I have been ill for 6 wks since my loss due to lowered immune system from grief. I knew this would be hard and I thought I would be prepared when this day happened but I was wrong. Nothing could prepare me for all of these emotions. Good luck and have faith that one day the emotions won't be so raw!

Archived