Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my cousin to lymphoma

jasonellis

• Members
ajlounyinjurylaw

My cousin after graduating college and becoming an attorney at a prestigious law firm. She had dreams of being a supreme court judge. Then one day she felt a limp on her neck.After running tests, immediately the doctors came back with, "get your affairs in order". After that horrible death sentence the whole family got together in efforts to save her life with donor drives. She survived for two years after that. She was beautiful on the inside and outside. Losing her was so devastating. She was only in her mid 20's. Of course all I can ask is why and grieve. It happened so suddenly, that now i live a life of fear. Worried at every cough, every ache that my children have. Ive had some losses, my father, my uncle and my cousin. Excepting death is just so hard.

• Members

Yes, grieving is so very hard. And it seems so unfair at times as to who lives and who doesn't, but we have to accept and move forward, which is so very hard to do. I've lost friends, a brother, father, cousins, grandparents, etc., it just never gets easy, does it? But, we can remember and celebrate their lives by living ours to the fullest and best of our ability, just like they did for the time they were here.

As for asking why, well, perhaps one day we will find out, but for now, I find it easier to just accept that life happens and that's that. I hope that made sense.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

I can completely relate to your hint of Hypochondria at the end of your post. Losing a loved one at such a young age is a reminder of how fragile we truly are. I'm so sorry for your loss and the anger you must feel at the injustice of the whole thing (a life taken so young) is understandable.

"Why" is a question that can only be answered by the person suffering from the specific grief scenario. We must all find our own meaning in circumstances of loss. The question of "why" must be countered by our own interpretation of life and reality.

This a big part of finding acceptance in a loss and it is the reason that grief is unique to the individual and situation. I want to offer comfort by saying that life has purpose - because we give it purpose with out own perspective.

In the end, our perspective forms the reality of everything around us. If you can hold tight towards a positive outlook on life and find your own positive meaning in the life of your cousin, you create your own solace.

The power is within you to feel good again - strength comes with time. I wish you a blessed recovery. My condolences to you and the family.

Archived