Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Forgiveness early on in the grieving process?

missinglevon

• Members
missinglevon

My younger brother died 01/27/08 whilst riding his motorcycle. An 80yo man failed to see him and pulled out in front of him. My beautiful brother died from multiple injuries including severe liver and brain damage. The man who caused the accident is facing criminal charges but that wont bring Levon back. I have forgiven the driver in my heart but i am worried my family will not understand. Can anyone else relate to this?

• Members
jackiewitter

missinglevon, I can certainly understand where you are.  My brother was killed in an accident as well, it was a work related accident.  Immediately after Jeff’s death the company that he worked for was forced cease operations in the division Jeffrey had worked in.  Jeffrey was performing a task that was very dangerous and proper safety was not exercised.   There were two people involved, one was the person operating the heavy equipment that killed him and the other was the one that gave the instruction on performing the task.  The person who gave the instruction was my husband. 

Holding onto the anger was simply not an option for me.  Mistakes are made everyday.  There was nothing malicious or evil in what happened to my brother and my husband paid dearly for it (as he continues to everyday).  My brother was not only his in-law and co-worker, but he was also his friend.  I am sure the man who hit your brother will live with this for the rest of his life.  He will need to find a way to forgive himself and continue on with life carrying this burden. 

I am very sorry for your loss and I know how it seems to be easier to be angry and to harbor ill feelings.  I admire your ability to forgive.  I hope that your family can come to some measure of peace.  My prayers and thoughts are with you.  Peace and blessings, Jackie

• Members
missinglevon

Jeffreyssister thankyou for replying. I also can possibly relate to your situation in a little way. My brother had only in the week prior purchased the bike he rode that fateful evening and had asked my mechanically able husband to help him remedy a problem with the back brake but my husband had had a big day at work and didnt feel up to working on the bike that night. He blames himself for not helping him even tho my brother still chose to ride

• Members
jackiewitter

missinglevon,

Hi, I have not been on in a while.  I just saw your post about your husband.  I am sorry that he feels that way.  I am sure that you have tried to explain to him that he should not carry that burden.  But I have said ealier, I think we hang on to the guilt because it's one thing that we have control of.  IT'S MY GUILT AND NO ONE CAN TAKE IT FROM ME.  I know that sounds a little crazy, but good gosh when you have control of so little else you feel like you've got to have something.  For months I wandered around with all of my emotions scattered.  It seems that I could not focus on anything; there was nothing that I could do without day-dreaming off into the blue.  But the guilt, that was real, I could focus on that.   

I wish you the very best, peace & blessings, Jackie

Archived