Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Today will be tough

kendi

• Members

I am in the medical field and have to give a speech on my experience. It will be about advance directive(Living Wills,DNR and Durable power of attorney) Since I knew Kenny's wishes and he did not have one, I had to carry out his wishes. It was had then to do it, I just hope I can get through this without breaking down. But, it is important and people should know. Even though I knew Kenny;s wish it still was the hardest thing I had to do.

• Members
stargazer5510

Stay strong, dear one. I took care of my own advance directive almost immediately after my husband passed. It was not an issue when he passed, since he died quickly, but with the trauma of everything else that has to be taken care of when someone dies, I didn't want my loved ones to have any bad moments if something should happen to me and decisions were necessary.

I spoke with everyone in my family about my wishes. We actually had a great conversation on Christmas after dinner about it all. It's something everyone should do the day they turn 18 and review every 5-10 years.

I'm fortunate to have two sisters who both work in the health care field and they've seen enough to understand what I wanted and were relieved to have the documents in place.

What you're doing is so important. Thank you.

• Members

Kendi,

I also work in the Healthcare field and have been for the past 20 years. It is very important and something that many ignore. You have an important task and I feel for you. Mary and I filled out her DNR and it was difficult to talk about it and complete it. Sometimes we face hard tasks in our work. I have to deliver Chemo to the Cancer center where Mary was treated about 3 times a week right now because we are short handed. My staff try to prevent me from having to go there but at times I have to step up and take care of business. The other day Mary’s Dr. saw me and came up to me to shake my hand. He saw when I looked at him I had tears in my eyes and told me to call him we could have coffee. Don’t know if I can do it or not but the pure fact he offered touched my heart. Some people ask me how can you do it? I don’t know except if I didn’t how would they get what they needed? I love helping people. Sometimes it rips your heart out but I cannot say no! I have no doubt it will be hard to accomplish your task but my prayers are with you.

Mike

• Members

Thank you for the support!! I was getting all prepared to do this and they had technical difficulty. Which this is just my luck(LOL). Now I have to go back another Saturday and try it all over again. I know how important it is important, I have been preaching to everyone about it since Kenny. I stress that it does not matter age because death dont have a set age, when it is your time it is your time. Thank you again.

Archived