Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Thought I was prepared

aellenlc

• Members

I have been trying to deal with the passing of my husband, but I am having a hard time. I decided to join an online support group to try to find some peace. My husband of 24 years passed away on October 26th at 48 years of age. He was diagnosed with cancer in September and was given 12 to 18 months to live. He lasted 2 months. I knew that eventually this horrible desease would take him, I just didn't realize how quickly it would take him. The hardest part was telling the boys, because they were such a big part of his life. I miss him like crazy and I am having trouble eating and sleeping. I am trying really hard to stay healthy for my kids and I am blessed to have close family and friends, but I am tired of hearing how strong I am and that I need to overcome this. I know it will eventually get better and until then I will keep going day by day.

• Members

Aellenic,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, this is truly a good site to find comfort. The people here have helped me immensely and I cannot say enough good things about it. My wife passed away May 16th of Lung Cancer; we had been given the news last December and told we had approximately 19 months as an average. She was only with me for five more months. Yes people say things that hurt at times because we don’t want to hear it and they don’t know what to say. I believe they have good intentions but they truly have no idea what we are going through. Our whole life changes in an instant. One minute we have dedicated all of our efforts to care for our loved one and the next minute we are alone. It is devastating. Like I said before, this site can bring you some comfort just knowing you are not the only one going through this process. We all have a story to tell and many of us find comfort telling it here. If I can help you in any way please reach out.

Mike Danielson

• Members

Aellenic,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My wife passed away in September from Stage IV breast cancer. Now it's just me and our son, and I realize I will never get used to this "new normal". I just joined the site yesterday, and everyone is so nice here. I'm hoping you can find some help and comfort here.

Jim

• Members

Thank you all for your replies and support. I was hesitant to join an online site, because I felt I could overcome this myself. I am glad I joined because today was the most tolerable so far. Just knowing there are others out there who understand and are there to listen and not judge.

• Members

aellenic,

your welcome, as I said I put alot of faith into this site. It has helped me a great deal but does not take away from us needing other help to get us through. This is where I write instead of keeping a journal. I get some feed back from people going through the same thing. it helps me. I hope it helps you. When you feel ready stop in to our chat room there are good people that can listen and help you.

Mike

Archived