Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Church Today

Mdanielson4

• Members

Went to Church this morning and thought everything was going fine. I went in sat down in my normal pew. Felt ok, then the pastor started talking about couples. I was a bit uncomfortable but thought its ok. He continued on and told the couples in Church to take the hand of your partner, I lost it! I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I went to one of the ushers and gave them my offering for the collection plate and excused myself in the middle of the sermon. I was followed outside by an usher and he asked if I was OK, I said it hit a little to close to home and I have to leave. I drove home with tears in my eyes and sobbing, not sure why emotions are hitting so hard today but it is a tuff one.

Mike

• Members

Mike,

Not exactly the same, but a few weeks after my wife passed in September, I attended the wedding of one of my best friends. Of course everyone is there with someone (spouse, bf or gf) and there I am at the reception - just me. I just stayed for a bit and then politely left. I think everyone understood.

Jim

• Moderators

Went to Church this morning and thought everything was going fine. I went in sat down in my normal pew. Felt ok, then the pastor started talking about couples. I was a bit uncomfortable but thought its ok. He continued on and told the couples in Church to take the hand of your partner

This kind of thing in the church has ALWAYS annoyed me, because it's quite insensitive to single people, whatever the reason. When I went through adult confirmation (single) they had a class where they focused almost entirely on couples. "For those who are single, just answer the questions in relation to your best friend instead," was the brilliant response to those of us thinking it was N/A for us. I left early and they actually acted surprised. Anyway very sorry MD, but understandable how that would hit you.

• Members

Mike,

My husband just passed and I can not image going through something like that. I too would have lost it. I hope you are doing better now.

A

• Members

Went to Church this morning and thought everything was going fine. I went in sat down in my normal pew. Felt ok, then the pastor started talking about couples. I was a bit uncomfortable but thought its ok. He continued on and told the couples in Church to take the hand of your partner, I lost it! I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I went to one of the ushers and gave them my offering for the collection plate and excused myself in the middle of the sermon. I was followed outside by an usher and he asked if I was OK, I said it hit a little to close to home and I have to leave. I drove home with tears in my eyes and sobbing, not sure why emotions are hitting so hard today but it is a tuff one.

Mike

Mike, so sorry you had such a tough time this morning in Church. It seems to hit like that when you least expect it. I can understand perfectly why you felt the need to retuen to your car as fast as you could. It has not been very long after all since your dear wife passed away. Take care of yourself. Thinking of you.

Kate

• Members

Thank you all for the support, I am doing better tonight. I don't understand why the emotions have been so strong this weekend. I can usually contol them, or hide them inside. "suppose that is bad too" This is what scares me so much about the Holiday's my wife loved them so so very much. It was always a big deal and wow I'm am completely alone now. I have her dog... anxiety is going to get me!!!

Archived