Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Physical symptoms of losing my son. Anybody else??

justinlsmom

• Members

Hi everyone, I am 13 weeks in to this living hell. I thought i was doing okayish, reading books , joined a bereavement group etc. Doing everything that was suggested, i was feeling strong, thought i was coming to terms with this and then BAM!! over the last couple of days i have been getting waves of panic in my stomach, its a physical feeling. I have to stop thinking about my son for the pain and anxiety to stop, it comes unexpectantly, and builds up. Does any one else have this feeling, and if so was it right from the start of after a few weeks?

My son died accidentally and suddenly on August 4, 2012, his 20th birthday was August 19, 2012.,

All replies are appreciated

Thank you,

• Members

If you take anti-depressants, which I highly recommend, they will be of tremendous help, however they take four weeks to start working. After my son died, I took them, as did my wife for two years. I couldn't imagine, looking back, not taking them. It was bad enough with anti-depressants.

• Members
catherine250959

Hi,

I lost my 21 year old son 15 months ago...

I can only speak from my own experience, but what you are feeling is very familiar. In the first little while after William died, I too, thought I was doing well...then would come the crash...it was like a wave that would just knock me over. I could feel it building, I would feel very 'speedy', had to get stuff done, clean the house, organize closets...then all of a sudden...boom! I would be crying, unable to breathe, calling his name, wishing he was here. I would feel better for a while and then it would build again.

This truly is a journey, you will have many bad days at first...some days you won't feel anything, other days the pain is, as you say, actually physical ...it truly is awful.

All I can say is 'ride the waves'...I would like to say it gets better, it really doesn't, it just gets a bit easier to make it through your days...

I think of William all the time, his name is like muzak in my head...I miss him so much.

I will be thinking of you. If you need a listening ear, I'm here

• Members
stargazer5510

It sounds something like a panic attack. That would be a pretty normal symptom, I imagine. It might be very helpful to speak with your doctor. I got a lot of help from my doctor and his staff after my husband passed away. They saw me frequently and helped me with sleep and anxiety. Please be gentle with yourself. This is a horrible thing to go through; (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

• Members

Hello justinlsmom, my son passed on Aug. 15th, 2012. From what you are describing, it does sound like panic attacks. I've been on meds. for anxiety and depression. Panic attacks feels like you are having a heart attack, years back mine got so bad that I went to the E.R. my heart rate was 185 and they hooked me up to monitors. When it was all said and done, I was put on meds for panic/anxiety. I've had no problem since then. I do think you need to go to the dr. and tell him your symptoms!!!!

• Members

Hi everyone, I am 13 weeks in to this living hell. I thought i was doing okayish, reading books , joined a bereavement group etc. Doing everything that was suggested, i was feeling strong, thought i was coming to terms with this and then BAM!! over the last couple of days i have been getting waves of panic in my stomach, its a physical feeling. I have to stop thinking about my son for the pain and anxiety to stop, it comes unexpectantly, and builds up. Does any one else have this feeling, and if so was it right from the start of after a few weeks?

My son died accidentally and suddenly on August 4, 2012, his 20th birthday was August 19, 2012.,

All replies are appreciated

Hi Justinls mom...

I lost my son in June this year...still unable to come to terms... Every single day I have been crying. It's 138 days closer to him.. The stomach churns.. U can't eat...sleep... I can't sleep without sleeping pills.. I m on anti depressant on and off. Still the depression comes and hits...some song.. Some place.. Some note book ...his mobile.. Anything can start the panic attack in me.. I keep reading...philosophy.. ADCs. Reincarnation stories..just to make me give the comfort that I can be with my son in the near future.. There is a positive fb.... group ....signs from the loved ones... Chk it out.. It helps.. At times it helps me to think...only when I think I m alive while my son isn't ... That thought puts a great pressure on the mother...I started thinking I also died literally... That's actually true.. And thinking that I m living dead.. So y one dead shd cry for another dead??? Sometimes I think..it's like pregnancy times...he has gone back inside me.. U can't see.. But he ll be all over u... Try to read fiction...non fiction...depending on yr choice... Take care

Thank you,

Archived