Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

so sudden

kelceym

• Members

Hi Everyone,

I lost my Dad very suddenly and so very unexpectedly about 2 months ago. I had just moved to The Netherlands (3 weeks) and woke up one night to the police having to tell me that my Dad has passed away. To say it was a shock is an understatement. He was perfectly healthy, ate well, went to the gym, but died of a cardiac arrest at the age of 54. I never in my life thought I would loose my Dad when I was only 23 years old. I alway imagined him walking me down the isle or getting to see his grandchildren.

I flew home a few hours after I found out, and was happy to be with my family, find out more information and get to say goodbye. Seeing him was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but do not regret it at all. I got to give him a kiss and say goodbye. It made it more real for me. Saying a goodbye or as we always called it a "see you later" at the airport when I left and then never getting to see my Dad again is one of the hardest thing's I'm dealing with right now. The fact that I wasn't there. He passed so suddenly that the doctor's think he may not have even known, his heart just stopped beating.

2 months is not a long time, and I still feel the shock sometimes of knowing he is gone. Does it ever get easier? (had a good cry while writing that)

• Members

It's good that you cried while writing that. Sometimes that's what we need. I also lost my dad suddenly, and he was in his early 50s. It's been a little over seven months for me, and it still sometimes doesn't feel real. I can't say if it gets easier, but I do know that we all have our own journeys with grief and shouldn't rush the process. Take care.

• Members

My father was killed when I was 14. One day I had just gotten home from a friend's and I found three policemen in my mom's house. I knew something was wrong with my father the moment I saw them. I immediately asked, "Where's daddy?" then refused to believe them when they told me.

It's been five years, and I used to think time can't heal everything. I read something the other day that is very true. Time DOES heal all things, but it sometimes leaves a horrible, big, ugly scar that will never go away. It's like having a limb amputated. With time, your limb will heal, but it will never return. It's an obvious reminder that something is missing. Nothing will make it easier. Just beacuse it's healed, doesn't mean it's easier.

Archived