Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my cat

snoogans775

• Members

Recently I had to have my cat put to sleep due to him having 12+ seizures over a 24 hour period. I have had him since he was a kitten and it breaks my heart without him being here

• Members

Rich,

I am so sorry. I have four cats, and I totally understand about being connected to them. My cat of 15 years died a few years back. I was devastated. I couldn't see how I would ever move past the hurt. But eventually, I did. Then I decided to do something in Emmy's honor, so I rescued two sibling cats. I've had them for 10 years now, and I have added two more rescues to my furkid family.

Do you feel comfortable posting a picture of your precious? We'd love to see how beautiful your beloved is.

Talking about your feelings will help. Do you have a favorite story to share? What happened rhat you had to put her down?

We will be thinking of you.

ModKonnie

• Members

Recently I had to have my cat put to sleep due to him having 12+ seizures over a 24 hour period. I have had him since he was a kitten and it breaks my heart without him being here

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a favored pet can dig deeply into our happiness, leaving a hole that can hang around for a long time. Sometimes it seems worse when we have had to make the decision to have them put to sleep. It is pretty obvious that you made the right choice for your cat though. Seizures, that many, can do a harsh number on any animal.

My family and I have just lost a cat; last week. We can still smell him when we walk through the laundry room (his room), even though we've cleaned it out. My son is hoping that the smell will stay around forever. It helps him to remember and that makes him feel better. For my wife, it is just the opposite. The familiar smell breaks her heart. For me, the smell is a non-issue; my allergies are so bad I haven't smelled anything in weeks. So the smell helps my son, and my allergies help me, because I know that I would be like my wife; it'd make me even more sad.

It's odd what little things can enable us to endure the loss. You will discover some key that will help you, I'm sure. Just don't rush things, give yourself time to mourn. And remember, there are others who will be reading your post, who will identify with your pain, and will be pulling for you.

• Members
snoogans775

I absolutely dread theday my cat dies. I rely on him intensely when people grow too difficult to work with, and he is just ALWAYS there. But I would have done the same that you had to, because watching him suffer like that would be more unbearable than any grief I could feel from his death, and he relies on me to live, so he naturally will rely on me to die, because I couldn't just put him out to die the way he would have to die in the wild.

• Members

I know how bad it feels.

I've gone through this pain like 3 times.

I've lost my 3 cats and I cried my eyes out.

But I never gave up on pets, the moment I witnessed a death, I used to go n get a new pet n show all the love I had in store.

Archived