Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my sister

radonskies

• Members

Hi. This is my first post here. I lost my sister Greta on December 2, 2011. She was 44. She had diabetes since she was 13, and developed kidney failure about 5 years ago. She had received a kidney and pancreas transplant a few years ago, but her body rejected the transplant and the organs had to be removed. In October of this year, she once again was approved and put back on the transplant list. On December 2, she was supposed to go to early morning dialysis. When she didn't show up, the dialysis clinic called my father. He went to her house and found her dead in her bed. My heart breaks for my dad - knowing he had to find his child dead and call 911. We don't know the cause so far - probably very low blood sugar (she passed out and fell many times the past couple of years and was extremely fragile). Although my sister was sick off and on for most of my life, I still wasn't ready to lose her. She was so creative and artistic and full of life. The hand she was dealt was crappy, yet she was one of the most positive people I've ever known. What's been the hardest is the feeling of being alone. My parents and my other sister never share feelings or emotions. I know they are grieving, too, but it's not OK in my family to talk about feelings. Christmas Eve dinner was the same as always except for Greta not being there. My husband and my friends don't know what I'm going through. I just feel so incredibly alone in this pain.

• Members

Hi. This is my first post here. I lost my sister Greta on December 2, 2011. She was 44. She had diabetes since she was 13, and developed kidney failure about 5 years ago. She had received a kidney and pancreas transplant a few years ago, but her body rejected the transplant and the organs had to be removed. In October of this year, she once again was approved and put back on the transplant list. On December 2, she was supposed to go to early morning dialysis. When she didn't show up, the dialysis clinic called my father. He went to her house and found her dead in her bed. My heart breaks for my dad - knowing he had to find his child dead and call 911. We don't know the cause so far - probably very low blood sugar (she passed out and fell many times the past couple of years and was extremely fragile). Although my sister was sick off and on for most of my life, I still wasn't ready to lose her. She was so creative and artistic and full of life. The hand she was dealt was crappy, yet she was one of the most positive people I've ever known. What's been the hardest is the feeling of being alone. My parents and my other sister never share feelings or emotions. I know they are grieving, too, but it's not OK in my family to talk about feelings. Christmas Eve dinner was the same as always except for Greta not being there. My husband and my friends don't know what I'm going through. I just feel so incredibly alone in this pain.

Radonskies,

It is OKAY to talk about your sister here. Have you tried to talk to your husband and friends? Start something new and just start talking. My brother died when I was 14. It wasn't okay then to ever mention his name. It wasn't until years later that I finally worked through the grief, and I found out that my other siblings were just as lost and wanted to talk about him. I talk about him with my mother now, too. She has learned to open up, and it is helping her.

But hey, you can share her story here. She sounds wonderful. Was she an artist? Did she have any children? Positive people are wonderful aren't they?

You are not alone in your pain. Many people here have suffered similar losses. They will be able to offer you encouragement and support.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

Archived