Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

• Members

It has been six years since my divorce became official, and sometimes it still hurts as though that life never really ended. I am not depressed, but suffered for many years from depression. In fact, that greatly contributed to the divorce in the first place. And I am experiencing life for the first time without depression after a decade of depression. Today more than ever, I am experiencing the difference between grieving and depression. It will also be 1 year since I became sober this fall. I realize the years of alcohol and substance abuse trying to escape the pain made me unable to truly grieve. I am here to learn about grief and just to express my feelings. I have had a lot of loss in my life that made the divorce so much harder to cope with. I can't help but hope that someday I will heal, but I am beginning to realize that I really do not know where to begin.

• Members

According to a study by Divorce super site Divorce Online,estranged wives are frequently citing video games as the cause of their failingmarriages. Of the wives that cited "unreasonable behavior" for endingtheir marriage, around 15 percent said that their husbands put gaming beforethem. According to Divorce Online, this new number represents a five percentincrease over 2010. The most common games cited as the cause of the break-upswere World of Warcraft and Call of Duty. So basically Activision could beconsidered a home-wrecker. Of course, blaming games for a broken marriage islike blaming a Holiday Inn for your spouse having an affair...

Psychologist and a relationship coach Dr. Kamal Khurana saysthat, while "video game addiction is a serious concern," it is justone of the many problems the struggling couples need to address.

"Often men take to playing video games as a stressbuster and as a filler to fill a vacuum in their lives," Khurana tells TheTimes of India. "It's wrong to play the blame game, and place the onus onthe creators of a particular game. The fact is that there are serious issuesand there is something missing in the relationship, that is pushing the guy toresort to escapism to deal with them."

He goes on to say that video game addiction can be dealtwith by counseling and support from a partner, but couples also need to explorethe reasons why the video game has become the man's main focus.

"A non-addict cannot see why it's a compulsion for theaddict to play the game everyday no matter what," he adds. "Try andcome to an understanding probably ask him to play for an hour or two instead ofbeing at it for more than three hours. If all of this does not work out seekprofessional help."

• Members

According to a study by Divorce super site Divorce Online,estranged wives are frequently citing video games as the cause of their failingmarriages. Of the wives that cited "unreasonable behavior" for endingtheir marriage, around 15 percent said that their husbands put gaming beforethem. According to Divorce Online, this new number represents a five percentincrease over 2010. The most common games cited as the cause of the break-upswere World of Warcraft and Call of Duty. So basically Activision could beconsidered a home-wrecker. Of course, blaming games for a broken marriage islike blaming a Holiday Inn for your spouse having an affair...

Psychologist and a relationship coach Dr. Kamal Khurana saysthat, while "video game addiction is a serious concern," it is justone of the many problems the struggling couples need to address.

"Often men take to playing video games as a stressbuster and as a filler to fill a vacuum in their lives," Khurana tells TheTimes of India. "It's wrong to play the blame game, and place the onus onthe creators of a particular game. The fact is that there are serious issuesand there is something missing in the relationship, that is pushing the guy toresort to escapism to deal with them."

He goes on to say that video game addiction can be dealtwith by counseling and support from a partner, but couples also need to explorethe reasons why the video game has become the man's main focus.

"A non-addict cannot see why it's a compulsion for theaddict to play the game everyday no matter what," he adds. "Try andcome to an understanding probably ask him to play for an hour or two instead ofbeing at it for more than three hours. If all of this does not work out seekprofessional help."

Greetings, I hope this didn't happen to you but I can relate a bit. My husband and I both play World of Warcraft, there were times in our marriage we believe that the game saved our marriage because it was a similar interest that we could always turn to and play together. That is the good part- the bad part is that we did get so involved into the game that we ignored other things in our lives. We still play, just not as much and hardcore as we had once did.

Jeannie

• Members

Greetings, I hope this didn't happen to you but I can relate a bit. My husband and I both play World of Warcraft, there were times in our marriage we believe that the game saved our marriage because it was a similar interest that we could always turn to and play together. That is the good part- the bad part is that we did get so involved into the game that we ignored other things in our lives. We still play, just not as much and hardcore as we had once did.

Jeannie

Archived