Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of both of my parents

littles1992

• Members
littles1992

Just in the last month, I have lost both my grandmother and grandfather, who were my caretakers for my whole life. My grandmother passed first from pancreatic cancer, and my grandfather passed from a stroke just 3 weeks later. Almost every night I cry myself to sleep because they were the only 2 people that I have ever felt genuinely loved me, and they raised me since I was 3 months old. My grandmother was like the typical grandmother, sweet, loving, and caring, but me and my grandfather did not really develop a good relationship until last year. I feel sort of abandoned everytime I think about their deaths, and I figured the best way to cope is to talk about it on this forum

• Members

Just in the last month, I have lost both my grandmother and grandfather, who were my caretakers for my whole life. My grandmother passed first from pancreatic cancer, and my grandfather passed from a stroke just 3 weeks later. Almost every night I cry myself to sleep because they were the only 2 people that I have ever felt genuinely loved me, and they raised me since I was 3 months old. My grandmother was like the typical grandmother, sweet, loving, and caring, but me and my grandfather did not really develop a good relationship until last year. I feel sort of abandoned everytime I think about their deaths, and I figured the best way to cope is to talk about it on this forum

Hi Donnell,

I am very sorry about the loss of both your grandmother and grandfather. Of course you must be reeling from both of them passing in such a short time. Your feelings are normal, but I'm sure very hard to deal with at this point. Of course, you are right about talking about it--it does help! So please, feel free to share the story of your precious grandparents. Post a picture of them if you'd like. We'd love to hear more from you. We will be here to listen.

ModKonnie

• Members
missing my parents

Hi Donnell,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know exactly how you are feeling. My parents both passed away last year. 71 days apart. It was the most difficult time of my life. I am still not over the feeling of missing them terribly. Most nights I can not go to sleep without crying. I can't believe that they are both gone from me and yes I feel like you so lonely. I am blessed with many friends and a husband and beautiful daughter that helps me get thorugh but they have no idea of how bad my heart hurts...so hard to explain to them.

I hope that sharing your story and knowing that there are others out there that have been in your position helps you feel a tiny bit better. Please feel free to contact me if you need to talk.

Hugs to you!!

• Members
lafayette

Donnell, I feel like you. Both of my parents are dead now. My mother died three years ago, my father 20 years ago. Having both of your parents gone is unspeakably hard and painful and, like you, I am so lucky to have a loving husband and one caring friend in particular who is not afraid of me talking about it and will make the time for me. But there are no words for it and the pain is so great. It's awful and much much different from the pain of losing one parent.

• Members
EulogyAdvisor

Hi Donnell,

I, too, lost both my parents. My mother died on August 16, 2008, and my father died exactly a year and a day later. I think he decided that being with her was better than being alive. Maybe your grandfather felt that same way about your grandmother. But even being able to explain it in some way doesn't make it any easier, does it?

A friend of mine gave me a book titled "The Orphaned Adult" that I found really helpful. A friend of hers gave it to her when her mother died, and then she gave it to me. After I read it, I passed it on to someone else whose parents had both died. I recommend it. Maybe you could get a copy and read it. Eventually you might not need it so much and it might end up being helpful to someone else. Or not. It doesn't really matter. My main point is that this book was really helpful to me, and that it might be helpful to you, too.

If this will help--once loved, always loved ....

Fran

Donnell, I feel like you. Both of my parents are dead now. My mother died three years ago, my father 20 years ago. Having both of your parents gone is unspeakably hard and painful and, like you, I am so lucky to have a loving husband and one caring friend in particular who is not afraid of me talking about it and will make the time for me. But there are no words for it and the pain is so great. It's awful and much much different from the pain of losing one parent.

Archived