Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Easter

Rage

• Members

Having been dealing with the very new death of my mother, I cannot help but feel incredibly depressed about Easter. Having come from a non-religious family, holidays have always been about family gatherings, not so much religion. With her gone, holidays have lost meaning. I'm really struggling with this holiday, and I sometimes wish that I could be with her. I miss her so much, the good days are in my mind, but they're not bringing me comfort, just making me more upset.

• Members

Having been dealing with the very new death of my mother, I cannot help but feel incredibly depressed about Easter. Having come from a non-religious family, holidays have always been about family gatherings, not so much religion. With her gone, holidays have lost meaning. I'm really struggling with this holiday, and I sometimes wish that I could be with her. I miss her so much, the good days are in my mind, but they're not bringing me comfort, just making me more upset.

Rage,

Holidays are particularly tough and stressful because it looks on the outside as though everyone were having this wonderful, grand time while you are feeling alone and isolated. Rationally, though, we know others are suffering too, they are just putting on a game face.

My father died in August 2009. Holidays don't seem the same to me because I really miss him. He was central to our holiday celebrations; he was a bigger baby than all the kids there--LOL. I have scaled back some of my celebrations, and yesterday, we didn't even really do anything big for Easter.

I know that right now everything is making you suffer. It took me awhile to be able to think happy thoughts about my dad, but I still always end with a "I miss you dad," in my mind.

You will be able to move forward a little at a time. It just honestly takes time. If you cannot deal with holidays in the way you used to with your mother, try starting a new tradition in her honor, like volunteering as a family at a shelter or some offbeat crazy thing that you know she would have loved. Or, for now, just try to get through the holiday by watching funny movies, going for a walk, cleaning out your closets or painting your house, or something that keeps you busy. It may help.

We will be here to support you,

ModKonnie

Archived