Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Hospice

Jocasta

• Members

I'm really having a tough time dealing with my mom being in hospice. It’s very upsetting to watch someone you love slowly waste away to nothing at all. All the literature that I’ve read and the people I've talked to at the hospice center say things like, "She's transitioning" or "she's on a journey". I'm really sick of hearing people describe dying like it’s this....well journey. I'm angry. I feel helpless and impotent. Dying isn't a journey, or a trip, or a quest. Or whatever metaphor or euphemism people feel the need to use. The truth is that my mom is dying. She's going to leave me some day soon. There's nothing that I can do about it.

I just don't know how to be without her. She's the only person who's ever loved me just for me. She's always accepted me, understood me, and supported me. Its so unfair.

• Members

I'm really having a tough time dealing with my mom being in hospice. It’s very upsetting to watch someone you love slowly waste away to nothing at all. All the literature that I’ve read and the people I've talked to at the hospice center say things like, "She's transitioning" or "she's on a journey". I'm really sick of hearing people describe dying like it’s this....well journey. I'm angry. I feel helpless and impotent. Dying isn't a journey, or a trip, or a quest. Or whatever metaphor or euphemism people feel the need to use. The truth is that my mom is dying. She's going to leave me some day soon. There's nothing that I can do about it.

I just don't know how to be without her. She's the only person who's ever loved me just for me. She's always accepted me, understood me, and supported me. Its so unfair.

Jocasta,

My father was with Hospice before he passed, too. It is very unsettling and upsetting to watch someone you love die slowly. My family would not have been able to cope with my father's illness and needs without hospice. We were angry and sick when we realized he was actually going to really die.

How long has your mother been in Hospice? Are you her caregiver? Have you talked with anyone about how you truly feel? You can rant and rave here. No one minds.

ModKonnie

Archived