Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Holiday tradition?

ModKonnie

• Members

Do you have a special way during the holidays to honor your loved ones who have passed away? Do you light a candle? Do you have a poem you read? We'd love for you to share with us and offer suggestions.

• Members

I don't know what I'm going to do. The thought of putting up a tree and decorating it, and decorating the house, is so overwhelming with the knowledge that my spouse, who loved decorating for Christmas, won't be here to share it with me.

The first year we were together, we lived in a two-room apartment that was crammed full of his "stuff"; then I moved in and made it even more crammed. Even still, he made room for a live, 7-foot tree because he knew that, to me, it's not Christmas without a live tree. So I will put up a live tree this year, and believe that he will enjoy it, too, somehow. I'll place his favorite ornament -- a blown glass hamburger! -- in a prominent place.

How I'm going to get the train running underneath is another matter. I have no clue ... !

I think I'd also like to invite his family over for Christmas the week before the holiday. I'll travel to be with my family, 7 hours away, for the actual holiday, but I want to share Christmas with his side of the family, too. Maybe a Christmas open house, with my friends and neighbors invited as well (I'm thinking as I type here ...) or should I stick with just family?

New Year's Eve is another story altogether. Ugh. Maybe I'll go to Tahiti.

• Members

I buy a Demdaco Willowtree angel for someone different each year for Christmas in place of the one I would have bought for my mom's once growing collection. 1 year I bought one for a co-worker who lost her son, another year I bought one for my grief counselor, another year I bought one for my mom's best friend, another year I bought one for a patient of mine who was going through hard times, last Christmas I bought one for my soon to be mother-in-law... I actually really like how I do this and perhaps this idea could help someone else as well. Buy a Christmas present for someone in place of your lost loved one and gift it to them in honor of your lost loved one. :) <3

Archived