Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Elizabeth Edwards

ModKonnie

• Members

Here is an interesting article written by a palliative care nurse about making the decision to go home to die. It is about Elizabeth Edward's choice. http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C2

What do you think?

I think Elizabeth was very brave and it was the correct decision for her. i think we have come to look at death completely wrong in our culture. We are so afraid of it, run from it and when it hits our loved ones we don't talk much about it and everyone expects you to get over it quickly and be back to normal. But things are never "normal" again.

When my Dad was ill, I talked to my Mom about calling Hospice. She didn't want to because she thought they would be depressing and negative. When she finally relented when Dad got too sick, the dr. sent Hospice in and they were so wonderful and caring. I can't say enough good things about them.

In the early nineties I volunteered briefly at an AIDS hospice run by hospice pioneer Joy Ufema. She was instrumental in bringing the hospice mvement to this country years ago. She and her staff were such a different type of health care worker. Very wise, spiritual and honest. They were very upfront about the fact that ALL their patients were going to die. But it wasn't a hopeless, depressing atmosphere. It was so positive with laughter, love and happiness, and of course respectful quietness when the situation called for it. They were totally dedicated to their patients. I remember walking past the room of someone who was dying and there was someone in the room at all times holding the patient's hand until they died, no matter how long it took. No patient was EVER left alone in their final hours. There was always someone there to help them cross over as comfortably as possible. I feel very priviledged to have seen that for myself. If my life ends in that manner, I hope I have someone as supportive and caring as the professionals who have chosen the path that Joy and those like her have chosen. They've got my utmost respect.

• Members

I think Elizabeth was very brave and it was the correct decision for her. i think we have come to look at death completely wrong in our culture. We are so afraid of it, run from it and when it hits our loved ones we don't talk much about it and everyone expects you to get over it quickly and be back to normal. But things are never "normal" again.

When my Dad was ill, I talked to my Mom about calling Hospice. She didn't want to because she thought they would be depressing and negative. When she finally relented when Dad got too sick, the dr. sent Hospice in and they were so wonderful and caring. I can't say enough good things about them.

In the early nineties I volunteered briefly at an AIDS hospice run by hospice pioneer Joy Ufema. She was instrumental in bringing the hospice mvement to this country years ago. She and her staff were such a different type of health care worker. Very wise, spiritual and honest. They were very upfront about the fact that ALL their patients were going to die. But it wasn't a hopeless, depressing atmosphere. It was so positive with laughter, love and happiness, and of course respectful quietness when the situation called for it. They were totally dedicated to their patients. I remember walking past the room of someone who was dying and there was someone in the room at all times holding the patient's hand until they died, no matter how long it took. No patient was EVER left alone in their final hours. There was always someone there to help them cross over as comfortably as possible. I feel very priviledged to have seen that for myself. If my life ends in that manner, I hope I have someone as supportive and caring as the professionals who have chosen the path that Joy and those like her have chosen. They've got my utmost respect.

Flo,

I know from personal experience that Hospice is priceless. My mother in law was able to die in our home thanks to the tremendous support from Hospice, and my father died at home thanks to Hospice. They were the kindest, most upbeat and positive people I've ever met. They made the entire experience bearable and comfortable.

While the word "Hospice" sends terror into people, it is the most important organization I can think of. They have my utmost respect also.

ModKonnie

Archived