Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had to have my Golden put down

Brandi07

• Members

Had to have my Golden Retriever put down 2 days ago.  She was only 7.  Was diagnosed with Lymphoma a year ago.  Was able to live a full live on Prednisone for the past year.  The vet only gave her 2 months to live but somehow she made it a whole year.  When the medicine stopped working though everything happened so fast.  I could feel the tumors deep in her neck and underneath her in her stomach area.  The sad part is she was still wagging her tail and acting happy.  However...she was making this horrible gagging sound.  There was no way I could let her not be able to breathe.  She would have kept continuing to go on until she just couldn't any longer.  I've had 2 Goldens before this one and they both lived to 12 years old.  Was so surprised last year when my dog was only 6 and diagnosed with lymphoma.   I see her in every room.  A part of me still hears her making sounds for when she wanted to go outside.  I still see her carrying a toy around in her mouth everywhere she went.  I find it so hard to break the normal routine of the day.   Every time I even think of her or visualize her face in my head I start to cry automatically.  I know time will lessen the pain but right now it is so fresh and so hard to accept she is not coming back.  So many never agains filling my head.  I am so very thankful for the extra time she was given after her diagnosis and glad I was able to give her a year full of fun times.  Just so so so sad at the thought of every day without her now.

• Members
Nunu’s Mommy

Sorry you lost your dog. I lost my baby 2/19. It’s so fresh. I miss him terribly. Sometimes I’m okay with it because all Dogs go to heaven. Next I feel like I could've did more.  I just couldn’t bare seeing him lose his zest for life. 

• Moderators

@Brandi07  I am so sorry.  My dog is 1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Siberian Husky, got the Husky personality, face, feet, tail, got the tumors and cysts from the Golden Retriever.  It's very hard.  Wonderful dogs, I had another Golden Retriever years ago, he got cancer, was put to sleep the day before his tenth birthday.  Their average life span now is nine years.  It's hard to understand why we can't have them longer, we love our dogs and all I can say is we enjoy them to the fullest while we can and afterwards, the loss is deep and it takes much time to process this.  My heart goes out to you in your loss.

• Guests

I'm so sorry, even having extra time to prepare for letting them go doesn't 'prepare' you or make it any easier to when you eventually have to let them go, it still leaves a maxxive hole in your life and in your heart.

• Members

So sorry to read about your loss. That is so young. It is good when you have time to process but as Sarah said, nothing prepares you for the loss and their physical absence from your life.  Hope you are doing okay. It's so very tough in the early days, hard to function. 

Archived