Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cancer in my household (1 of 3)

Abby1008

• Members

I have a long story that is very hard for me to share but I feel that maybe it will help. This is part 1 of 3 (broken into parts because they're so lengthy). It started in August 2016. Our 13 yr old German Shepherd (K-9 trained) got sick. He seemed like he was slowing down & showing his age for a few months but then his abdomen started getting big, like he was gaining weight, along with some other symptoms. We took him to the vet and after LOTS of tests, 2 days of waiting and finally, emergency surgery, turns out he had a 13lb cancerous tumor on his spleen. He went through surgery like a champ and a few days after he was a 2yr old puppy again, really got his life back. I have to mention that out of all the veterinarians that were consulted only one said she'd be willing to risk surgery. The rest said he was too old, the mass was too big, he won't make it through anesthesia, etc... bunch of bad news. But Dr. Kelly Ferral said she'd give it her best, and she did. While he was in surgery she noticed he had a mass on his scrotum also but he had been under long enough for one surgery, so we scheduled another surgery for Sept. He came through that with flying colors too. His tests were all magnificent and he was doing great. Fast forward 4 months to mid-January... He started acting tired, drinking lots of water and showing other symptoms. Took him back to the vet (and found out the Dr. who operated on him twice before had passed away, we were devestated...)  they said he was bleeding internally. The cancer had probably spread to his liver (which is susceptible to bleeding). After a bunch more tests, a blood transfusion and a trip to an emergency vet with better, more accurate "toys", it was verified his cancer had spread to his liver and was inoperable. They said within a few days he would lose his blood volume into his abdomen and pass away. We weren't ready to let him go, we had just gotten him back. And at that point he was still mobile, eating, drinking, going potty, all normally. It took us 3 or 4 days (I can't remember, it was all a blur of tears) to see enough decline (and to see he was ready) to schedule a home euthanasia. That was among the hardest things I've ever had to do! We said our goodbyes over several hours of "I'm not ready, he's not ready, let's wait" denial... He laid his head in my lap, surrounded by 5 other family members, and crossed the rainbow bridge. I held him and cried for what seemed like forever, yet not long enough... January 31st, 2017 8:15pm. R.I.P. Moses (MoJo) Jones

Screenshot_20180219-020605.png

• Moderators

It's okay to post parts 2 and 3 in the same thread so everyone has just one place to go (you can copy and paste).  I will post my response here so your replies will be together if you choose to do that.

I am so sorry you lost MoJo and then Max.  The odds, it's really hard.  :(  You made such a difference in Max' life, amazing!

And now, Abby.  I'm so sorry.  I lost a cat to cancer, King George, in 2006, I miss him still.  He was so stoic, such a wonderful cat, my greeter.

Cancer is such a hard thing, it robs all in its path.  I can only wish for some peace for you.  Keep coming here, posting your feelings, what you are going through, we'll be here for you.

• Members

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry about your King George.

Archived