Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My cat got hit by a car last night.

rosiej

• Members

I really miss her. Her name was Gypsy, and she's been in my family for around 10 years. I still can't believe she's gone. I've never loved a pet like I loved her. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I feel so guilty, I felt like I could've done something. She was my best friend and the loveliest, kindest cat in the world. She was a wild cat when we found her, just a tiny kitten. Every time I would come in my room she would jump on my shoulder and purr. I really miss her. I don't know how to deal with this so I guess I'm looking for other people who are suffering to tell me what to do? I don't know. I'm still in shock. I keep thinking I hear her meow when I open my door or that she'd be sitting on my windowsill as always, but she isn't. I didn't even get to say goodbye. 

• Members

I am really sorry to hear about Gypsy. I too recently lost the love of my precious 4yo cat. But your pain seems more to as compared to mine. Losing someone so special who has been with you for 10 years in such a way is nothing less than a torture. My house feels so empty. I see her everywhere, that just now she is going to walk out of the room and come to me. 

theres no point of feeling guilty (although im battling the same) but i am pretty sure you did all what you could in your capacity to give her a wonderful life.

I didnt get to say goodbye as well to my Ainy. But yesterday, i gathered some strength and walked up to where i buried her and sat and let it all flow and i just talked to her one last time. It helped me yesterday to cope with the emptiness. Hope you can do the same.

• Members

Hi! I, too, had lost a rescue dog just a few days ago. I don't know what caused her death. I brought her to the vet and gave all the medications prescribed, but it still didn't work. I don't know what happened. I still don't understand what I did or didn't do that made it happen.

I was away from home when it happened. I also wasn't able to say goodbye to her. The next day, I immediately went home. But her sweet soul is no longer on Earth. She was already running and playing in the Rainbow Bridge. We really can't tell you what to do with your grief. You just have to let it be. Cry when you have to cry. Imagine and relive the days your kitty was with you. Relive how you and her connected and all the things you did together. You can also talk to someone near you who might have had the same experience as yours who will surely understand you.

The truth is, we can really never know what to do with ourselves after they leave. Right after I buried my dog, I was stuck in a limbo (and still am). Still stuck in the days when she was with me. And I think that is okay. You can do that. Soon enough, we'll accept the fact that even though they lived here on earth before, now they are residing in our hearts (and the rainbow bridge, of course!). 

It is really painful right now. What is important, as what the others always tell, is that we gave them the best life we could possibly give and that they were happy with us. Take small steps everyday. Live. Remember. Love. 

• Moderators

rosiej,

I am so sorry about your losing your cat, that is very hard.  We get so attached, they are our family and when they're gone, it leaves such a void. There is no fix, I wish there was, but I assure you your grief will not stay in this intense pain forever, it will lessen in time as you begin to absorb this bit of information and process it and adjust to the changes it means to your life.  It takes time to make our way through grief and no way to hurry it, I wish there was.  The pain feels excruciating.

Many of us never got to say goodbye, never got to tell them how much they mean to us, but it's okay to tell her now.  Her spirit may be with you waiting for you to be okay so she can be free to go and just maybe she'll visit you now and then.  Sometimes they do and we don't recognize it because we're not programmed to think that way.  The physical body gives out but the spirit lives on and I believe wholeheartedly we'll be together again.

It's okay to cry.  Maybe you can set up something in her memory, I bought a headstone for my cat even though I don't have a body to bury, she disappeared suddenly after 10 1/2 years, I know she'd never leave on her own, she picked me, she loved her home, her family, I think a predator got her like a cougar or large bird.  I was outside all day, never heard a thing.

What you feel for her...she felt for you, and she has much appreciation for the life you gave her.

• Members

I am so sorry about your cat. You came to the right place, we all suffer so much from the loss of these wonderful innocent little creatures. That said, I wish I could ease your pain. In the six months since my loss, I have learned so much. My broken heart is mended but will never be the same...  and time is greatest healer. That is all there is. I know you are heartbroken too and I promise it will ease. Though your wonderful kitty will live on in your heart forever. Maybe write out the goodbye you would have done if you could have... it might help. I hope you are doing okay. 

• Members
4 hours ago, AJWCat said:

I am so sorry about your cat. You came to the right place, we all suffer so much from the loss of these wonderful innocent little creatures. That said, I wish I could ease your pain. In the six months since my loss, I have learned so much. My broken heart is mended but will never be the same...  and time is greatest healer. That is all there is. I know you are heartbroken too and I promise it will ease. Though your wonderful kitty will live on in your heart forever. Maybe write out the goodbye you would have done if you could have... it might help. I hope you are doing okay. 

5 hours ago, KayC said:

rosiej,

I am so sorry about your losing your cat, that is very hard.  We get so attached, they are our family and when they're gone, it leaves such a void. There is no fix, I wish there was, but I assure you your grief will not stay in this intense pain forever, it will lessen in time as you begin to absorb this bit of information and process it and adjust to the changes it means to your life.  It takes time to make our way through grief and no way to hurry it, I wish there was.  The pain feels excruciating.

Many of us never got to say goodbye, never got to tell them how much they mean to us, but it's okay to tell her now.  Her spirit may be with you waiting for you to be okay so she can be free to go and just maybe she'll visit you now and then.  Sometimes they do and we don't recognize it because we're not programmed to think that way.  The physical body gives out but the spirit lives on and I believe wholeheartedly we'll be together again.

It's okay to cry.  Maybe you can set up something in her memory, I bought a headstone for my cat even though I don't have a body to bury, she disappeared suddenly after 10 1/2 years, I know she'd never leave on her own, she picked me, she loved her home, her family, I think a predator got her like a cougar or large bird.  I was outside all day, never heard a thing.

What you feel for her...she felt for you, and she has much appreciation for the life you gave her.

12 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Hi! I, too, had lost a rescue dog just a few days ago. I don't know what caused her death. I brought her to the vet and gave all the medications prescribed, but it still didn't work. I don't know what happened. I still don't understand what I did or didn't do that made it happen.

I was away from home when it happened. I also wasn't able to say goodbye to her. The next day, I immediately went home. But her sweet soul is no longer on Earth. She was already running and playing in the Rainbow Bridge. We really can't tell you what to do with your grief. You just have to let it be. Cry when you have to cry. Imagine and relive the days your kitty was with you. Relive how you and her connected and all the things you did together. You can also talk to someone near you who might have had the same experience as yours who will surely understand you.

The truth is, we can really never know what to do with ourselves after they leave. Right after I buried my dog, I was stuck in a limbo (and still am). Still stuck in the days when she was with me. And I think that is okay. You can do that. Soon enough, we'll accept the fact that even though they lived here on earth before, now they are residing in our hearts (and the rainbow bridge, of course!). 

It is really painful right now. What is important, as what the others always tell, is that we gave them the best life we could possibly give and that they were happy with us. Take small steps everyday. Live. Remember. Love. 

13 hours ago, Kashan Ali said:

I am really sorry to hear about Gypsy. I too recently lost the love of my precious 4yo cat. But your pain seems more to as compared to mine. Losing someone so special who has been with you for 10 years in such a way is nothing less than a torture. My house feels so empty. I see her everywhere, that just now she is going to walk out of the room and come to me. 

theres no point of feeling guilty (although im battling the same) but i am pretty sure you did all what you could in your capacity to give her a wonderful life.

I didnt get to say goodbye as well to my Ainy. But yesterday, i gathered some strength and walked up to where i buried her and sat and let it all flow and i just talked to her one last time. It helped me yesterday to cope with the emptiness. Hope you can do the same.

Thank you all so much for your replies. It has been extremely hard these past few days, and hearing about other people's struggles and their view on things really help a lot. When I was sleeping she'd push her forehead against mine, and I want to paint that with the sunset we had the day she died behind her. I think doing that might help me let go. Every time I do anything I think to myself "This is the first time I'm doing this without her." and I break down again. There's one TV show in particular I don't want to finish because she used to sit on my lap when I was watching it. I think that's one of the things I need to do to let her go, but I'm not quite ready yet. It really hurts when people say that "She was just a pet" because she was a huge part of my family. Thank you again for replying. I think I can see this in a different light now. 

• Moderators
17 hours ago, rosiej said:

"She was just a pet"

That's one of the most inappropriate responses to grief I think there can be because it invalidates our feelings and experience.  No one can tell you what you should be feeling or going through because it is YOUR experience, YOUR relationship, YOUR pet.  People who relegate our relationship with our pet to a back seat simply have not had the relationship we have experienced with them so they cannot possibly get it.  They mistakenly think somehow if they put it down and attempt to diminish it that we will feel better??? No!  The opposite is true!  To have someone come along side you and listen to you and be there for you, to give you the opportunity to share stories about your loved one when you are ready, that person is an asset and a friend.

Archived