Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My beloved 17 year old dog just died

AndreaAveku

• Members

My beloved dog Tomás died yesterday. He died in his sleep, warm under the sun. He was 17 years old and he was a Poodle. He was the most noble dog that I've ever met and my best friend. I loved him like crazy. My mom got him when I was 6 and I can't remember a time in my life without Tomás in it. He was just part of me, we were partners in crime. I swear,  his eyes were full of love when he looked at me.

Today they sent me the ashes and I can't stand the thought of my beautiful dog inside that little wooden box. I know he wasn't his body and that he is running in heaven now, but the box is just too much for me. I'll bury it in our garden, but meanwhile I can't even look at it. It's so hard for me to understand how his warm, fluffy body was by my side yesterday and today all I have is that urn.

I feel so bad for not wanting to keep the ashes like other pet owners seem to do, I feel like I'm betraying him for not wanting the box inside the house.

Am I alone in this? I'm just so sad right now...

Thank you for reading

• Members

No, no, no,  you are not betraying him. He would not think you are betraying him. But first I want to comment that you said he died in his sleep warm under the sun - you do know that was a very peaceful and although sad for you, beautiful way for him to pass on. As for the ashes, the urn - he’s not in there. It does not matter where you put the ashes they are not him, they are the “remains” not the love, the soul,, not the “way he looked at you” or the “partner in crime” those are the things he IS and those things are with you, HE is with you, because those things don’t die, only the body dies. I have my dog’s ashes and when I first got them back I felt “cheated” like, you’re giving me this back? Like it”s not my whole dog, but you know what? It isn’t. It”s just a very small piece. What she left behind. - What she left behind. It’s not her. So, what you are feeling is absolutely okay,

• Guests

I agree with MelsGone, what a lovely peaceful way to end his time on this earth, just beautiful and as for his ashes, like MelsGone said he is not his ashes, he will live on in your heart where his ashes are, they are what's left but are not her, her soul, her spirit are all around you.

• Moderators

I agree with all you guys have said, their spirit lives on, his body was temporal and gave out, but the essence of him, that lives on.

I'm old now, but I got a dog when I was five and he lived 15 years, my parents called and told me they had him euthanized (I wasn't allowed to take him with me when I left home at 17) and I wasn't given the opportunity to say goodbye, I didn't understand, he didn't have cancer or anything, he was just old and they made this decision without me.  It's very hard when you grew up with this dog and hardly remember a time without him.  My heart goes out to you in your loss.

Archived