Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Overwhelming grief over the loss of my dog

Ang007

• Members

My dog became sick Thursday morning, I took him to vet who diagnosed him with autoimmune hemolytic anemia, she gave us steroids and we went home. He became worse overnight, took him to emergency vet ICU where they gave him blood transfusions, iv fluids, and medications. His organs started failing and he started exhibiting signs of a pulmonary embolism. We made the hardest decisions ever, and our angel left us Saturday to rock the heavens. This was so unexpected, and never something I imagined for my five year old chi weenie. My grief is overly consuming, and I feel so sad without him. It came so quickly that I still can’t beleive it happened. 

9E11FA82-F70D-4082-9E42-E8E31C5C1523.jpeg

• Members

Oh wow I am so sorry!  I understand the shock and devastation you are in right now. (I lost my cat very suddenly as well.) And your dog was so young and sounds like it was from out of nowhere. I wish I could say something to make you feel better. You are probably still in shock even now, it takes some time for your mind to process the loss especially when it is so sudden. I know how badly you feel right now and hope your grief eases a bit. It will, I can promise you that, but it is very tough there is no doubt about that. Your dog was lucky to have you, again I am so sorry. :(  

• Members
1 hour ago, MelsGone said:

@Ang007 I replied back to you in my post before I read this. So sad... You really did everything possible.

Thank you, it does help to talk about him especially with others who have experienced the same. He was such a caring, loving dog, unlike any other pet I’ve ever had. He left a big void in my heart, every little thing reminds me of him. With time I hope the pain will be less. 

• Members
1 hour ago, AJWCat said:

Oh wow I am so sorry!  I understand the shock and devastation you are in right now. (I lost my cat very suddenly as well.) And your dog was so young and sounds like it was from out of nowhere. I wish I could say something to make you feel better. You are probably still in shock even now, it takes some time for your mind to process the loss especially when it is so sudden. I know how badly you feel right now and hope your grief eases a bit. It will, I can promise you that, but it is very tough there is no doubt about that. Your dog was lucky to have you, again I am so sorry. :(  

Thank you for your kind words. I am still in disbelief. One day he was himself and then out of nowhere he was gone in two days. I wish I had more time to spoil him, he was my little angel, my baby, and I was not prepared to let go. It helps to grieve with others who have been through similar situations. Thanks again.  

AABCB73E-8D97-40F6-BAE9-CE78C73BAD98.jpeg

• Moderators

He is beautiful, his eyes, his colors, it's very hard, I'm so sorry.  You don't expect to lose a five year old dog all of a sudden.  It just seems so unfair.  When you are able, maybe you can tell us a little about him.

• Members

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dog. Such beautiful pictures you are sharing. Your grief is consuming and I hope you can find some comfort here in these forums. We are here to support you. And our dog was blessed to have you and will be at the rainbow bridge. 

• Members

I am so sorry. Your dog was beautiful. They occupy such a big piece of our heart and lives, that their absence is felt acutely. I miss my dog tremendously, and the grief initially is overwhelming. But one eventually adjusts, and as in the loss if any loved one you will always remember and miss them, but life brings new things and colors will come back.

• Members

Oh gosh so young and so sudden I really feel for you, I've had almost 5 weeks to prepare for my Ava leaving me and I'm still nowhere near ready so I can only imagine what losing a furbaby so suddenly must be like.  I hold on to the thought that like Yuki said you eventually adjust and although you will always miss them new life and a new normal will eventually find it's way to you.  Ava taught me that in a massive way, after my previous dog died,  i thought there was no way back from the grief but then there was Ava and slowly a new normal emerged and now it seems like this is how it's always been and I can't imagine my life without her.  She's taught me you can have more than one soul furbaby, each one touches your soul in a slightly different but equally special and important way and each brings with them life, love and colour and a new normal that never replace your previous furbaby, they just add more layers and more colours and more love. 

• Members

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful dog. I am feeling  grief right now as well. Know there is someone out there going through the same struggle. I had to put my cat to sleep two and a half weeks ago and I'm still crying every single day in disbelief and sadness. I have to run to the bathroom during and cry at work. He was so healthy, frisky and full of life. I came home one day and he was completely paralyzed and crying in severe pain. He had a blood clot that paralyzed him and his heart was shutting down. It was the night before his birthday. He would have been eight years old the next day . He has been with me for 4 years by my side everyday. I rescued him at 4 years old. I have a chronic illness and I'm alone a lot, and he was my best friend and support. I will miss him with all my heart. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you.

• Members

@TML27 That is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I lost my dog a little over 2 weeks ago, she also was always by my side - so I understand completely. We are here for you.

@Ang007 I love the pictures of your handsome boy. How are you today?

• Members
10 minutes ago, MelsGone said:

@TML27 That is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I lost my dog a little over 2 weeks ago, she also was always by my side - so I understand completely. We are here for you.

It’s been hard, still crying on and off. Everything reminds me of my sweet boy. I know he was suffering and I did the right thing but can’t help but to feel quilty. I wish I could have done more. Haven’t been motivated to do much of anything these past few days, going to try and get out today. Thank you for asking.

• Moderators

Guilt is common in grief.  We feel like we're their protectors and when we can't fix everything for them, we feel like we let them down.  Understand that our feelings don't tell the whole story though, our feelings are there to contend with but the truth is you'd have done anything you could to help him, but we have our limitations, we're people, we can't fix everything.  :(

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf 

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members
11 hours ago, MelsGone said:

Hi Mel thank you for your kind words. I am so sorry for the loss of your little doggie. My thoughts and prayers are going out to you. I know it is not easy, know you are not alone. ♥️Hang in there. 'Hugs'..

• Members
On 2/12/2018 at 6:39 PM, LP&Treats said:

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dog. Such beautiful pictures you are sharing. Your grief is consuming and I hope you can find some comfort here in these forums. We are here to support you. And our dog was blessed to have you and will be at the rainbow bridge. 

Thank you, he was so special to us and we miss him so much. Talking about him does help, I’m glad I found this forum.

• Members
22 hours ago, TML27 said:

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful dog. I am feeling  grief right now as well. Know there is someone out there going through the same struggle. I had to put my cat to sleep two and a half weeks ago and I'm still crying every single day in disbelief and sadness. I have to run to the bathroom during and cry at work. He was so healthy, frisky and full of life. I came home one day and he was completely paralyzed and crying in severe pain. He had a blood clot that paralyzed him and his heart was shutting down. It was the night before his birthday. He would have been eight years old the next day . He has been with me for 4 years by my side everyday. I rescued him at 4 years old. I have a chronic illness and I'm alone a lot, and he was my best friend and support. I will miss him with all my heart. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you.

Thank you, it’s been four days and I’m still in disbelief. It so hard especially when they are taken unexpectedly. He was only five and had so much life in him still. He deteriorated so rapidly and it was so painful to see same as your beloved pet. I pray that you find peace as well. 

• Members
19 hours ago, KayC said:

Guilt is common in grief.  We feel like we're their protectors and when we can't fix everything for them, we feel like we let them down.  Understand that our feelings don't tell the whole story though, our feelings are there to contend with but the truth is you'd have done anything you could to help him, but we have our limitations, we're people, we can't fix everything.  :(

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf 

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

Thank you, in my mind I know I did everything I could. I just keep thinking of his confused expression, wondering what’s going on, what’s wrong with me, and why are you leaving me here (ICU pet hospital). I wish I could have stayed with him.

• Members
On 2/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, Yuki said:

I am so sorry. Your dog was beautiful. They occupy such a big piece of our heart and lives, that their absence is felt acutely. I miss my dog tremendously, and the grief initially is overwhelming. But one eventually adjusts, and as in the loss if any loved one you will always remember and miss them, but life brings new things and colors will come back.

Thank you, I eventually will get there. It’s just been hard these past few days.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ang007 said:

I just keep thinking of his confused expression, wondering what’s going on, what’s wrong with me, and why are you leaving me here (ICU pet hospital). I wish I could have stayed with him.

God, that is so hard!  It feels like we're haunted with these memories...I guess we just have to try and focus on the good ones, so tough to get through.

• Members
On 2/13/2018 at 3:31 AM, Sarah&Ava said:

Oh gosh so young and so sudden I really feel for you, I've had almost 5 weeks to prepare for my Ava leaving me and I'm still nowhere near ready so I can only imagine what losing a furbaby so suddenly must be like.  I hold on to the thought that like Yuki said you eventually adjust and although you will always miss them new life and a new normal will eventually find it's way to you.  Ava taught me that in a massive way, after my previous dog died,  i thought there was no way back from the grief but then there was Ava and slowly a new normal emerged and now it seems like this is how it's always been and I can't imagine my life without her.  She's taught me you can have more than one soul furbaby, each one touches your soul in a slightly different but equally special and important way and each brings with them life, love and colour and a new normal that never replace your previous furbaby, they just add more layers and more colours and more love. 

Thank you for your words of comfort. I am contemplating another fur baby, once I can get over this heavy feeling in my heart. No one will ever replace Brownie, he was truly one of a kind. The house seems so silent without him, even more now that my college grad moved out on his own yesterday. It seems so much is going on, and I just feel a lil lost. I’ll know with time it will get better.

• Moderators

It's hard when our kids leave home, I remember how much it meant when my son was staying here temporarily, even though he was gone all day helping people, etc. just having him pop in at 9 pm and talking for an hour while he ate something, it helped a lot, you know?  I've never been without pets, I've had a dog or cat or both for over 40 years.

• Members

Hi @Ang007, "heart ache" is a real feeling isn't it? My heart was heavy for so long. Your little guy was taken so suddenly, be patient and time will heal. And I know the lost feeling too. You have a lot going on - lot of transition can make things seem out of sorts.

So many wonderful animals need homes, I'm glad you are open to one in the future. You may have seen my other posts, I finally got a new cat. Doesn't replace my other one of course, but I was ready. Hope you are doing okay today.

Archived