Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had to put my 14 year old beautiful golden retriever to sleep today

Rodge28

• Members

Today I lost my best friend of 14 years. He was the sweetest most loving dog I’ve ever had and I was deeply connected to him. I would talk to him and cuddle with him everyday and felt as though he really understood me. This loss is so profound, I don’t think it’ll ever get better. I’ve been crying for days because I knew this was coming, but I was holding out hope he would recover. Over the last few months he started having issues walking up and down stairs but that was it, he is 14 and the vet said it’s expected. 

This week it escalated, it got to the point where one day he was fine and the next he couldn’t stand at all and stopped eating and drinking. It all happened so fast and than he began whimpering and became completely immobile as the days passed, I knew what had to be done but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Today was the day that he left this world by euthanasia and everything feels wrong and empty without him. I cannot stop crying and I miss him so much it hurts. I wish he didn’t have to leave, I wish he didn’t get sick. I just want my friend back. I would do anything to see him running to me again. 

• Members

Oh I am so sorry about your wonderful friend... and as you will soon see, we all here know every ounce of your pain. It is so difficult to lose our beloved companions, no matter how the end occurs. I know it is of little comfort but it does seem like it was time and it was the most loving thing you could do for your friend of so many wonderful years. No matter how much time we have, it is just never enough and the grief can feel so overwhelming. You are not alone though and in time you will start to adjust to his absence. Be patient. The people here understand and are here for you. Big hugs sent your way.

• Members

I’m so sorry the loss of your beautiful friend and companion. It’s devastating to see them in pain and then leave us. Especially when we have so much life to live still. I hope this forum helps you connect with others that are also feeling the same pain. Maybe a suggestion that you could find comfort in is to write down your memories of your friend so you don’t ever forget them. I last my fur baby on Wednesday and like you I’ve been feeling the same emotions. But writing those memories down felt good and maybe it can help you too. Once again I’m so sorry and I’m here for you. Sending lots of hugs your way. 

• Members

So sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. It seems the end comes so fast and though we know they don't live forever, it happens so fast - one minute they seem fine and then everything goes wrong at once.  "Everything feels wrong without him" - that is precisely how I felt when I lost my cat. The world seemed dark was just no longer the same place, I lost my joy the day we lost him. I was a zombie for days after, in shock.

So everything you are going through is natural and part of the grieving process. I wish there was something to say to ease your pain. I remember where you are like it was yesterday. (And it was six months ago for me.)

I promise it gets better in time. I have slowly worked to heal and find joy again. Time is the only thing that can heal a broken heart.  

• Members

I'm so so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I have also lost my sweet 17 year old dog on Wednesday. It was the hardest decision of my life and there is a giant gaping hole in my heart.l feel your pain. There are so many kind people on this forum that will help us get through our grieving.if love was enough to cure them our pets would live forever.  Please give yourself grace. You and your sweet dog are in my prayers. 

• Moderators

Rodge28,

I am so sorry.  My dog is 1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Siberian Husky, two of my favorite dogs, and I can imagine the pain you are feeling at missing him.  Golden Retriever's average life span nowadays is nine, so it's good to hear yours got 14, but no matter how long they live, it's never enough.  It's just a testament to how well you took care of him.  The depth of our love seems to correlate with the depth of our grief, those of us here deeply feel the loss of our pets gone all too soon.  

• Members

I'm truly sorry for your loss and know the pain of watching your best friend sucumbing to age and illness, it's hard to see the inevitable happening before your eyes and knowing there is nothing you can do to stop it.  You did the very best for your precious boy but that will not ease the pain you are feeling. 

• Members

I’m so sorry I lost my dog yesterday he was 17 and much the same his legs had started to go but then In the past two weeks got worse and this weekend was not eating and suddenly started crying in agony and I knew I had to take him , I’ve been crying all day I just want it to all be a dream but I know I can’t change things . So grateful to have found this forum 

• Moderators

@Alison 1975  I'm glad you found this place too.  Sometimes people come here and post one post and don't come back, but it's still good that they have this outlet, it helps so much to have this outlet to express ourselves and know we're heard when we're needing it so much.  This is a safe place where we know others understand.

• Members

This is keeping me going because I’m not alone in my stories or grief , I thought I was ok when I woke up this morning and the sane knot in my stomach has come back , I’m trying to hold back the tears but it’s so hard . I can just see his little face and hear the cries and I can’t block that out at the minute I want to remember the good times not the sad ones 

• Members

Hi @Alison 1975, this forum really helped me too for the same reason. You are not alone. I remember having a knot in my stomach for a few days, feeling anxious and scared sometimes, wanting to scream, cry, run... there are so many emotions and ups and downs. It is part of the process. Let yourself cry and get ti out if you can. Whether we lose our pets suddenly or through a long illness and we know the end is coming, it is so hard when they are just gone. It's a finality you get hit with and you are not prepared for. Be patient. You are very early still in your grief. Do what you can to feel okay and get through each day.

• Members

HI at @AJWCat I’m sat here trying to hold the tears in at work I just want to be at home with my other dog having cuddles , I know he had an amazing life and a long one which makes me happy because he was so loved I just never imagined it to be so gut wrenching I keep telling myself it’s onky been two days so this is no time at all . I’m so grateful to have found this site and it’s making me feel happy getting to talk to others that are not your family or friends . 

• Moderators

Indeed we cannot prepare for the finality even when we know it's coming, it hits like a bolt of lightening all the same.  The good memories will come, but not for a while, right now is the time when the pain hits, it takes time and it hurts going through this adjustment.

• Members
Nunu’s Mommy

Wishing you peace during your grief. I lost my boy on 2/19. It’s been a rough couple of days for me as well. Using his memories on earth as a way to cope. 

Nunu’s Mom

• Members
Nunu’s Mommy

Wishing you peace during your grief. I lost my boy on 2/19. It’s been a rough couple of days for me as well. Using his memories on earth as a way to cope. 

Nunu’s Mom

4C2A64FD-C3DA-4A5A-AFE8-22F632E867F7.jpeg

• Members

@Nunu’s Mommy morning I hope you are feeling a little better , I’m on day 4 now without Rebel and the tears are still here but the pain in my stomach is starting to ease , I’m feeling guilty then that I’m starting to regain some normality I’m far far from over this and just have one more day at work before I have my 6 days off which I need , I’m so exhausted and drained . I hope you and your other little one are doing ok and I know talking there and sharing stories has been such a great help and comfort at this devastating time in all of our lives . 

• Members
Nunu’s Mommy

@Alison 1975 Morning, this group allows me to share Nunu’s life with you. It helps me know that he had an awesome life. I wish he could live forever but I whispered to him to keep my brother company when he gets to heaven. Day 4 and the tears haven’t stopped. I’m glad I’m on vacation this week so I have time to mourn. Allison thanks for keeping in touch with me. You have helped me process the grief and make it bearable. Thank you.

Poopsie is doing fine. I haven’t changed the routine. I made sure to pick up a dish I know he enjoys eating.  Poopsie was the leader. I wonder if he notices that Nunu is gone? He hears me cry and peaks his head at me but no noticeable changes as of yet. 

Nunu’s Mom 

B73DADAC-3BF8-4BBE-849C-66569DE59B15.jpeg

• Moderators

Animals seem to vary with their grieving.  When my husband died, my dog Lucky grieved heavily, so did our cat Tigger (he left home after seeing my husband never showed up after two months).  When I lost Lucky, it hit Miss Mocha (cat) as she adored her.  But when I lost Miss Mocha, my current dog and cat seemed not to notice.  I thought that was odd.  You never know how they'll take it and sometimes they don't always show us what they're thinking and feeling.  I hope your other one does okay, just give lots of love and attention.

Archived