Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My father passed away unexpectedly 3 weeks ago.

ozlo

• Members

My father suffered a heart condition that is extremely rare. It was sudden. I was at the gym, and my brother called me. Said dad called him asking to get a hospital to his office. He was alone.

I got into my car and drove like a bat out of hell to his office, calling another ambulance on the way, just to be safe. I caught up to the ambulance right as they were leaving my dad's office, and followed them to the hospital. 

We thought it was a back sprain, and that everything was going to be ok. Turns out that wasn't the case. The next 3 days was spent fighting to get him to a different hospital, lots of medication, lots of drugs, making him loopy and calm.

Then things seemed to stabilize. We were told he had a really good chance to pull through. Internet said that there was only a 10% risk. In a way, we were relieved.

I went home that Saturday night after spending the entire day with him, planning to care for him once he was out, getting early pension, moving him to his favourite country.

Then the call came on Sunday at 4AM. He went into cardiac arrest, we needed to come down asap. I still remember holding his hand that night. He looked like he was asleep. Hit us like a train.

It's been 3 weeks so far, slowly sinking in that he will never walk through that door again. I'm 25, though I don't feel 25 anymore. 

• Members

Dear ozlo,

I am very sorry for your pain and sorrow. I know you are heartbroken and its a horrible shock.

If you want to maybe consider grief counselling or joining a support group. During this difficult I hope you will surround yourself with loving and supportive friends and family.

Thinking of you and your family. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Hi there, 

Losing a loved one so suddenly and unexpectedly is one of the worst things imaginable. I’m going through the same thing you are right at the moment. The loss leaves you with a huge hole. I’ve found that talking about the person, opposed to what happened to them keeps them alive, in your heart and in your memory. This time definitely isn’t easy, but all you can do is take things day by day. 

I am here for you. I am 23, and it feels like this sort of thing ages you 100 years. 

Lots of love to you in your time of grieving. 

Archived