Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I don’t feel any different

towardsatree

• Members

My brother died in a car accident last April and I feel nothing over it. I know I should feel soemthing but I don’t. He was 21. It just feels like he’s gone away or just not around, not that’s hes in the ground. Anybody else had these feelings? Nobody understands it. It makes me angry that I can’t feel anything and I hate myself for it. 

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Sorry for your loss. When I couldn’t cry and felt numb after my brothers death, I later discovered it was because I was in shock. Now that the shock has worn off I have been letting out all the emotions and think that my mind and body wouldn’t let me feel them right away because it’s just too painful. And even though I know logically my brother is gone, I am still having those thoughts that he’s going to comeback, call and I have to stop myself from asking my parents “ Did you talk to Brian today?”  (even though, AGAIN, I logically know he’s gone). It’s wild how the minds works. Try to tell yourself in those moments you are having those thoughts, that it’s ok for you to grieve however you need to. Meaning not crying, feeling numb, feeling angry...whatever the feeling is. It’s ok because not everyone grieves the same way and in the same amount of time. But try not to beat yourself up emotionally. 

Archived