Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My poor boy

SWHarts

• Members

It’s not been very long since I lost my soul cat to a car accident. I woke up and he was not outside our bedroom in his bed like usual, we searched and searched at 11am we got the call.

I am a wreck. I’ve not slept properly since then, I feel so guilty. Everything feels so pointless and I cannot accept that I will never see his sweet face again.

Please no judgement, but I got a new kitty not long after as I felt I needed something to plug that gaping void my boy has left behind. She is sweet and lovely but she helped me heal a bit, as I hoped she would. 

Has anyone else got another pet after the loss of one? I have battled with my feelings over it, I do feel very guilty for it but I thought it was the right this for me and my husband. We have never not been pet owners, and struggling so much to come to terms with the loss of our boy

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think you should feel guilty, cats roam freely, that's what they want in life. It was a terrible accident that took your cat from you. You had no fault in it.

I also don't think you should feel guilt about getting a new cat. Since the loss of my dog 3 days ago; multiple people who have previously lost pets have told me that the only way to truly fill the gaping hole in your life is to get a new pet.

In a few months I hope I can adopt a dog that needs a good home. I feel that's what my Kaci would want, she would want me to share my heart with another dog in need.

• Members

Hi @SWHarts I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet kitty. I know how awful it is. This past August our cat passed way awfully and suddenly. We adopted him at age 5, and he was 15 and in good health.

He was basically like our child and my husband and I were devastated. Life for me is not complete without an animal (love dogs too) but I am more a cat person. We were in a vacation rental for the summer so adopting another cat was out of the question. And, I believe that our cat got into something there that caused his death. 

Anyway, when we finally got back to our city and got a new apartment I was so ready. It was challenging though because I admit I wanted to find our cat again at the shelter, our soul cat! 

Eventually after the 3rd visit, we adopted a 2 yr old cat. She is very different from our sweet guy that we lost. I love cats, so I love her, but there is not a deep bond. She has helped though, she fills a void as you say. But my heart is still broken. It's been over five months, and I am I guess back to "normal" but this loss, like yours, was unexpected and one of the most painful things I have ever dealt with.

I don't feel any guilt though, the one thing I believe in is giving animals good loving homes (so many go unloved and unwanted it's tragic) which you have done.  I wish you well, again I am sorry for your loss.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SWHarts said:

It’s not been very long since I lost my soul cat to a car accident. I woke up and he was not outside our bedroom in his bed like usual, we searched and searched at 11am we got the call.

I am a wreck. I’ve not slept properly since then, I feel so guilty. Everything feels so pointless and I cannot accept that I will never see his sweet face again.

Please no judgement, but I got a new kitty not long after as I felt I needed something to plug that gaping void my boy has left behind. She is sweet and lovely but she helped me heal a bit, as I hoped she would. 

Has anyone else got another pet after the loss of one? I have battled with my feelings over it, I do feel very guilty for it but I thought it was the right this for me and my husband. We have never not been pet owners, and struggling so much to come to terms with the loss of our boy

You won't find judgment here.  There is nothing wrong with getting another pet after losing one, it just means you still have a lot of love to give and need someone to bestow it on.  We know it doesn't replace the one lost, nothing does, but it can help you so long as you are ready that's all that counts.  Try not to feel guilty for getting another one, I don't think our animals would want us to suffer more than we already are.  Loss is hard no matter how we try to tackle it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Members

Sorry to hear about losing your kitty. People grieve in so many ways. Don't feel guilty or as it you have betrayed your old friend.  I think that if our lost furry companions were able to exist after death they would certainly not want us to feel alone and sad.  They loved us too.  The bonds created between us and each pet we have over the years tends to be different.  I am confident that I will never share the same type of bond I had with my Mocha with either of my other 2 kitties or my dog.  But I do love them and have special things with them also.  Mocha was just my "forever cat" and I am not sure those come around more than once. So hugs and I hope you find some relief from your guilt here among others who have lost a beloved companion.

Archived