Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Put my dog to sleep this morning.

MelsGone

• Members

We put our dog Mel (Melissa) down this morning. She was a 15 yr old German Shepard. We were not planning on it. I won’t go into detail, but we knew in the morning, when we brought her to the vet - we probably would not be bringing her home, and that was the case. — It’s past her bedtime now (11:00 pm) and I’m staring at the empty spot on the floor where her bed used to be next to mine. She would make me go in the bedroom with her around 9:30 so she could “go bedtime” Then I would work on my laptop in the dark so she could sleep (my bossy girl). But I guess I can stay up as late as I want now, huh. Mel’s Gone. (tears)

• Members

I'm sorry you girl has gone, 15 was a good age, I lost my shepard when she was 14, it's so hard letting them go, the hole they leave is so big and so deep it's overwhelming.  Sending hugs x

• Members

Oh I'm so sorry, words don't help much but I've found the support on here to be so overwhelming and much more than I ever expected. It's so raw for you right now but time will help. Yes 15 is a wonderful age but that doesn't help either. Sorry it's impossible to know what to say right now but that we all feel it on here and we all understand, we have been through it. Please share if you feel you want to, people here are kind xx

• Members

Aww so sorry about Mel. So many years together. 15 is amazing! You must have taken such great care of her. I loved your bedtime routine. I have a surviving kitty that did something similar to that. Although our routines have not resumed since we lost our Mocha unfortunately. I am sorry for your loss. Hugs 

• Members

So sorry to hear about Melissa. Those first few days and nights, their absence is so painful. We all know exactly what you are going through. When our pets get older we know logically that they will go - but you are never prepared for it until they are gone. :( 

There is no easy way around this loss. We all do the best we can each day, a moment at a time. Come back and share more if you need to. I know for me it helped.  

• Moderators

I am so sorry about Mel, I know how hard it is to get used to them being gone, the hardest thing there is.  We do know what you're going through, been there, someone said grief is love inside out, sounds apt for it.  There is no way to prepare for this loss, it hits hard and no way but straight through it, pain and all.  Go ahead and cry, you need that release.  Maybe you can tell us a little more when you're ready, we're listening.

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss. 15 years for such a large dog is amazing; you must have been a fantastic owner. I'm sure you gave her a happy life.

I can totally relate, as I sit on a chair beside the spot where my dog's bed was. It's so hard to look down and not see her there asleep beside me; her snoring was oddly comforting to me. 

Archived