Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Can't let him go yet

Furbabies09

• Guests

I'm definetly Team Jacob, I also keep cheking in to see how he's getting on and am so pleased he's making such a good recovery after what seemed like a pretty hopless battle he was facing.  It just shows how tough our furbabies are and how when it's the right time to go they let us know because Jacob has definetly made it clear he's not ready to go just yet and well done you for fighting so hard to get him that chance which is hard to do because we trust our vets, they are the experts and we believe what they tell us and because they are the 'experts' sometimes it can be hard to go up against them.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Furbabies,

I am so delighted to log in this morning and find these updates!  That Jacob is at 200 BS that is so much better!  And sitting up!  Drinking a bit, I'm sure he's trying hard to pull through for you!

I posted a bad review on Yelp on a doctor one time (I stuck to the facts and the doctor more than earned it) and Yelp refused to let it stand!  What good are reviews if only the good ones are allowed?  We should be able to tell the truth to warn people from our horrid experiences.  I have also had bad experiences with vets, one I had 11 1/2 years ago but Yelp wasn't around then.  The other was last May but that vet made it clear they'd sue me if I posted/told anything.  Alas these big companies not only don't care about people and animals but they have the big bucks and can afford the fancy lawyers.  Too bad they don't put more effort into their care that they do in their false reputation building.

I'm pulling for Jacob, please keep us posted, hoping he can come home soon!  I don't think they'll send him home unless he's eating/drinking, defecating/urinating on his own.  I hope they'll work with you on the bills/payments.  God bless them for their care!

• Guests

I didn't lmow that about Yelp KayC, that's so decieving because you go on sites like that hoping to get honest review but how can you know for sure if they only print the positive ones!!

• Members

Thank you Jencatlover. He does know that everyone is praying for him and everyone is concerned about him. Hopefully he'll come home Monday. I will definitely give him a kiss for you. We'll keep you updated.

• Members
Ladiebug's New Momma

Furbabies09,

First, I want to thank you for adopting. My heart aches for your family. He is such a beautiful baby. Having to watch him go through this is beyond hard. I truly do understand where your heart is. In 6 days it will be 2 years since I had to put my service dog Bear down. He was born in my lap and died in my arms. I agree, vets should have some kind of emergency plan available to pet parents for times like this. Thankfully my vet works mostly with humans with very low incomes. Even holding spay/neuter clinics for $5 sm animals and $15 lg animals once a month. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. This is my Baby Bear. If not for him, I would not be alive today. I have severe seizure disorder, and he was always there. He was my soulmate and reason for living.

My fierce look.jpg

Bears Show Dog Pose.jpg

• Members

What a gorgeous doggy Bear was, so handsome and cuddly. And smart too, I've always been a cat person as I think dogs need more energy from their owner and maybe I'm lazy but dogs are awesome too.

I think the support for Jacob is building here, we are all so behind him and willing him to do well. Not wanting to hijack the thread Jacob reminds me of my cat Wizz, ironically named as she had 3 legs but she looked so much like Jacob does now. She was poorly when I had her and had to have her back leg amputated at the age of two, she actually lived a further 15 years with me on those 3 legs and spent the last 4 years on thyroid medication. She was the strongest little cat I've ever known and such a character. 

They are fighters when they want to be and all you can do is care for them and love them. Jacob is amazing!

• Members

Ladiebug'sNewMamma what a handsome bear. I'm sorry he is no longer with us physically but know his presence is still felt. I hope that all the great memories you have of him help you and give you strength to face the world. Know that you have support here and that you are never alone.

Yes it's been hard going through this nightmare. So thankful that Jacob is fighting and showing improvements. 

• Members

Jencatlover don't worry about hijacking the thread. I enjoy everyone sharing. It's comforting. Wizz sounds like she an amazing baby. She definitely sounded like a fighter. 

• Members

Update. We just got a call about Jacob. He is sitting up more and starting at the techs. His sugar was just tested and it was 120. He ate a little bit of can cat food. He's coming around more. We're still waiting on the pain meds to come out of his system. Now that he's starting to eat, it may help it pass quicker. The Dr and techs are very optimistic. They say he is so different compared to when he came in. Jacob feels the support from all of you and it's giving him the strength to fight this. Thank you all. 

• Members

@Furbabies09  I am so glad that the vet staff are so optimistic and that Jacob is starting to eat, this is all so encouraging! I am waiting to hear even more good news !

• Guests

I'm so happy for you Furbabies, it's so nice to see happy ending may be possible.  It's really positive he's eating and look at how much his blood has come down, amazing what a good caring vet can do.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Sarah&Ava said:

I didn't lmow that about Yelp KayC, that's so decieving because you go on sites like that hoping to get honest review but how can you know for sure if they only print the positive ones!!

They let some stand, there was no reason not to let mine, but it was about a doctor and I guess they're supposed to be above reproach.  They let them stand about businesses, why not doctors?!

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Ladiebug's New Momma said:

Furbabies09,

First, I want to thank you for adopting. My heart aches for your family. He is such a beautiful baby. Having to watch him go through this is beyond hard. I truly do understand where your heart is. In 6 days it will be 2 years since I had to put my service dog Bear down. He was born in my lap and died in my arms. I agree, vets should have some kind of emergency plan available to pet parents for times like this. Thankfully my vet works mostly with humans with very low incomes. Even holding spay/neuter clinics for $5 sm animals and $15 lg animals once a month. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. This is my Baby Bear. If not for him, I would not be alive today. I have severe seizure disorder, and he was always there. He was my soulmate and reason for living.

My fierce look.jpg

Bears Show Dog Pose.jpg

I am so sorry you lost your Bear.  He's beautiful, I can imagine how much you miss him.  I've lost animals years ago that I still miss, time does nothing to change that except we grow more used to it with enough time, but we still miss them.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Furbabies09 said:

Update. We just got a call about Jacob. He is sitting up more and starting at the techs. His sugar was just tested and it was 120. He ate a little bit of can cat food. He's coming around more. We're still waiting on the pain meds to come out of his system. Now that he's starting to eat, it may help it pass quicker. The Dr and techs are very optimistic. They say he is so different compared to when he came in. Jacob feels the support from all of you and it's giving him the strength to fight this. Thank you all. 

OMG, this is great news!!  I am so glad!  It is good to get good news here in this forum, it is welcoming!  We are all rooting for and praying for Jaycob.

• Members

Morning update: We just got our morning call about Jacob. Techs said he is a little more perky this morning. He did eat the can food they left overnight. His sugar was 300 this morning. They say its ok and they will check him again later. He's getting stronger each day and the pain meds are making its way out. 

Its unfortunate that I had to go back to work yesterday. The hospital closed at 12 and I didn't get to see him but daddy did. I wont see Jacob till Mon morning. I can't wait to see him. We miss him so much. We are not ourselves without him and that includes his sister. She cries for him and you can see she is sad without him. Hopefully he'll come home in a few days. We love you Jacob. 

• Members

Latest update. His evening tech says that Jacob ate all the food they left him this morning. In fact, she was giving him his evening meal and he started eating some. His sugar is in the 130's. He's sitting up a lot more and looking around. He's still not using the litter box, so the girls have to clean him up. Well this evening they said they were cleaning him up and he tried to jump off the table. He's getting more function back. The tech asked if it was ok if she sent me a few pics. I said of course. Here are Jacob's latest pics. Thank you all. 

IMG_20381.jpg

• Guests

Yay for Jacob!!! The little man is looking so much better and I couldn't be happier for you. It's so good that he's eating and starting to get some mobility back, I'm not suprised he's not toileting himself etc yet, his body has been through a terrible ordeal and is taking time to heal but he looks like he's weel on the road to recovery.  Go jacob!!!

• Members

@Furbabies09 you are so strong, sharing all this with us here. It's such a 'rollercoaster' of emotions when they are not well, especially when we think or know the end is close. It's so painful. It's so wonderful how Jacob is responding and I think you are really brave to share his story with us and also find time to comfort others too. We are all keen for updates and pictures and I hope the gorgeous Jacob keeps getting stronger, he sure is an incredible cat!

• Moderators

Jacob looks wonderful!  This is amazing!  I look forward to his updates as it's the happiest news on here!  What a difference appropriate treatments and a caring vet make.  I'm glad you'll get to see him this morning.

• Members

Jacob is such a fighter. Congratulations for his road to recovery. Your new vet is a really great person to save his life. I am so happy for you.

• Members

Update. Jacob didn't eat yesterday. He became weak again. His sugar is pretty much under control. They did some tests and we were waiting on results. The test shows one major concern. It's his kidneys. Right now he's relying on the pump. We go back in 30 mins. They are going to do the test again and get results right away. Hoping his phosphorus levels are lower this time. When we brought him in it was 16.9. Now it's 16.1. Hoping for lower numbers. He did eat earlier. We took his favorite. He's still fighting. I'll keep y'all posted. 

• Members

@Furbabies09, That isn't the greatest news but hopefully the next update will be good news. This new vet seems like they will be honest with you. CKD(chronic kidney disease) cats can have a good life.  Though it does come with expenses and increased monitoring. SOME cats can survive well on only 10% kidney function.  Mocha was a ckd cat with only 24% kidney function and i had promised myself not to ever force weekly visits to monitor all the varying blood work abnormalities that often occur or daily injectable fluids, ect.  I had Mocha on "compassionate care" and a wet food only diet.  She managed for several years very well. Though we had to get an injection every 4-6 weeks to assist in blood flow to her kidneys plus med 2 times per day to control seizures and really had to stay on top of feedings to maintain weight.  It doesn't always work out that way from my research so I know we were lucky to have such a good quality of life with stage 2-3 kidney function.  I know this wasn't the most pleasant post but i felt providing some insight might be helpful depending on what you find out today.  Some vets see kidney disease and give an immediate death sentence...as is what unfortunately happened with my baby when we seen a vet different from her regular doctor. I just wanted you to know that it might not be a death sentence. Just keep in mind kidneys can not be cured once loss occurs.  But it might get very costly to manage it depending on how Jacob handles the treatment after what else he has already pushed through. i am crossing my fingers for you for good news today.  "Tanya's comprehensive guide to CKD" cats is an amazing resource for all things CKD.  Though there is so much information on that website it can get really super overwhelming.  But if they determine CKD you might check out the website. hugs

• Moderators

I'm sorry, I hope the numbers continue going down.  It's hard to report when there's nothing to say, I know, but we're all holding Jacob up in prayer and you too.

• Members

We are all willing you on Jacob, you are such a brave boy and I have everything crossed for you, and you and your husband @Furbabies09 and we do know he is being looked after by people who care and know what they are doing.

• Guests

Not the best news but take heart from what MyMocha said about CDK,  I think the new vet that's treating Jacob will do the very best for Jacob and will be honest about his chances and your options so take some comfort from the fact you will be able to trust the information they give your and that you will be able to do what's best for Jacob.  I know this has been such a rollercoaster for not only Jacob but for you and your husband, we are all here for you x

• Members

Update. Wow what an emotional rollercoaster. This morning was gloomy and we weren't sure what desicion we would have to make today but now things are different. Jacobs test came back and he dropped nearly 5 points. He is now at 11.4. He was more alert. Eyes were wider and he was trying to jump out the cage. The Dr said Jacob is playing by his own rules and we just have to see how is keeps going. So I'll keep y'all updated.

• Members

Ah come on little Jacob if only he knew how much support he has and yes he is definitely a celebrity! I can only imagine the ups and downs and how you & your husband feel @Furbabies09 he really is playing by his own rules isn't he! Not wanting to speak for others but I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps checking on here for updates & willing Jacob to keep improving, he is so brave :wub:

• Members

Dear Furbabies09

I just looked up online & found that humanesociety.org can offer help with free/low cost vet care it will guide you where to go depending on the state you live in. Maybe this can help.... I hope. I am sorry.

• Members

Sarah&Ava, yes he sure is keeping us on our toes. I was such a mess till we got the results back, After that I was positive again. I did tell him that he has so many people from around the world thinking about him and sending so much love to him. 

How is Ava doing?

• Members

Jencatlover. Yes the ups and downs have been so hard on me. My husband has actually been so positive and he's been fighting for Jacob so hard. He won't give up on him. Then he has to deal with me being sad and crying. He's been the strength this family needs right now. I'm so thankful for that.

Yes Jacob is definitely playing by his own rules. He's never played by the book from the beginning. He sure is telling us he's not ready to let go. 

• Guests

Ava's doing much better thank you Furbabies, it's hard though because I know it's only delaying the inevitable and that while she's recovery well from surgery, the cancer is still spreading inside her.  Just making the most of the time we have left while she's well enough to enjoy it. Glad Jacob's doing well though it gives me some hope xx

• Moderators

Jacob is giving hope to all of us whose pet it is too late for, we're all pulling for him to pull through this.  He still has medical conditions to live with but we're all hopeful he will be able to give you more time to enjoy him.  I'm glad the numbers are coming down, 5 points is a lot!

• Members

Sarah&Ava I'm glad she's having good days. I know it's got to be hard to enjoy these moments fully when you know whats coming. I can't say that I know exactly what you're feeling but I do feel your pain. Know that I'm here for you and Ava is in our thoughts and we send her our love. 

I'm glad Jacob is giving you hope. He sure told us that our babies will tell us what they want. He has surprised everyone because it's been a rollercoaster. We now have higher hopes that he's coming home soon. Just taking it a day at a time.

• Members

Update. This morning we got a call. He has been eating again. His sugar is normal and he's definitely more alert. He did leave a message in the cage for the girls. They said when they were cleaning him up, he was fighting them. They said that's a really good sign. 

I was off today and I was able to visit him several times today. I'm off again tomorrow and I'm hoping he can come home but I also don't want to rush it. We don't want him to end up back at the hospital. We will have to get a meter before he can come home. We will be testing his sugar to make sure we keep on top of that. We will definitely keep you all updated. I'm so glad Jacob is giving y'all hope and something positive to take your minds of what you may be going through. He has gained strength from all the support and love you have sent him. 

20180122_133845.mp4

Archived