Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Can't let him go yet

Furbabies09

• Members

We are in the process of losing our baby boy. He is a rescue kitty and we think he's 11 yrs old. About 6 months ago he was taken to the vet because his eyes were glazed over and he was having complications. We found out he had diabetes and his sugar was in the 500's. We started him on insulin and he started to perk up. We thought things were good. We then noticed he was losing weight too fast. He was very thirsty and never wanted to be away from the water bowl. Dr's said it was ok. So we continued things normally. He then went through a time that he seemed like he was starving and we were feeding him all the time. Then he stopped eating on Sunday the 14th of January. We took him in Monday morning to the vet. The did some blood work and said he had an infection. He seemed like he was going to pass that day. We were told he should be better with iv's and antibiotics. We picked him up at 530 pm and he seemed worse than we took him in. They wanted him back in the morning for more fluids and see his progress. So he went back the next morning and they pushed fluids. We got a call at 2 telling us he's taken a turn for the worse. So we went to bring him home. They gave us pain meds to make him comfortable. He hasn't eaten since Sunday and no insulin. He stopped drinking water Monday night. His body is limp as if he had passed. His breathing has slowed and his eyes are always open. This is very hard watching your baby lose his life. We feel so helpless and feel that if we had taken him to a different vet, would he still be active like he was before? The vet charged us $500 on Monday for what they did but before we did anything we told them that if he's passing, we wanted pain meds and to take him home. They said it was going to be fine and that fluids and antibiotics we're going to help but instead he ended up worse than we took him in. We couldn't afford the $500 and now we have to figure out what to do with him after he passes because we can't afford to cremate him now. Tuesday I was taking him home and spoke with the tech, she said I could take him home. Well I'm walking out with him in my arms and I'm being stopped to ask how the bill is going to be settled. They were keeping me from taking my baby home because they cared more about the money than my baby. I just feel as if I let him down. Now I just lay by his side and tell him it's o mommy is here and she'll be ok. He can let go if he needs to. He was always my protector. I'm so heartbroken. 

20180117_115628.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so so sorry Furbabies, how heartbreaking for you.  I can't even imagine how hard it must be to watch your poor boy go through this. I'm not sleeping at the moment so imagine I will be around for most of the night (I'm in the UK) so If you need someone to 'stay' with you whilst you go through this I'm here for you xxx

• Members

Thank you Sarah&Ava. Yes it is very hard seeing him this way. I don't know what more I can do to make him comfortable. Today he has lost his lower body movement and he is no longer using the litter box. I want him to pass in his home but I also don't know if he's suffering. He's on pain meds but I don't know if he's still suffering. These moments are so hard.

• Members

They are indeed very hard and there is no easy answer.  I understand wanting to let him pass at home, I want to do this same for my dog Ava because she is such a big dog (60kg) that getting her in and out of a car if she is unable to get in herself is so stressfull and traumatic for her that after going through that at the weekend when she had surgery I don't want to put her through that again at the end.  Luckily I have a really lovely vet who has agreed to come out and put her to sleep at home when the time comes.  Do you have that option?

• Members

Any decent vet should offer an instalment plan for a situation like this. But I think you need to do what's best for your lovely cat, whatever heartbreak it means for you. You have to do the best thing for them however difficult it is for you and we all know on here how hard it is xx

• Members

I agree with Jencatlover, it would be worth asking your vet if they have a payment plan option.

• Members

Oh my gosh I am so so sorry, my heart is breaking for you. :( Poor sweet boy I hope he goes quickly and painlessly now. His body is shutting down obviously. It's too bad the vet would not help further and end his suffering, especially since there was nothing more to do and he was at the end. Although it seems that if he is quiet that he is okay and not in pain? At least you are with him and he's at home. 

So sorry you going through this. 

• Members

Thank you all. Unfortunately the vet we use does not offer payment plans. It wasn't always like that. Our original vet, Dr. Napkey was the owner and unfortunately he passed away suddenly. The new owners immediately did renovations and changed the look of things. They also have so many patients that you are in and out quick because they don't have time to really spend with patients. We should have found a new place but we wanted to give them a chance. Now we're where we are. We do have another furbaby. We will be looking for a new vet to take her to. 

Our baby boy, Jacob, is still hanging on. My husband just got home and the sound of his voice made Jacob lift his head. Is that a good sign or am I not facing reality?

• Members

Oh that's such a shame that they've done that,  I would definetly look for a different vets for your other furbaby.  None of us like to face reality in these situations but it's nice thaat both you and your husband will be around for Jacob at the end and you will be there to support each other after.

• Members

She's doing mych better today, she's eating again and doesn't seem to be in the pain she has been in over the past few days and has been more like her usual self which is good but also really hard because it gives me false hope that she will get better and Ithe cancer will go into remission or will be really slow growing  giving us another year together whiich I know is just not going to happen.  I've been wondering all day if she knows she's dying, does she kmow how close she came to dying at the weekemd. I'm not even sure amimals understand the concept of death but I do wonder if she knows she's dying.

• Members

Hi.... I know what you are going through. 

I lost my baby boy (fatboy) on Monday 15th January at 5.30pm.

abd my heart is completely broken.

he had been poorly for some time, losing the sbbity to walk, but Sunday night seemed in pain and I couldn't bare for him to suffer anymore and took him to the vet on Monday to end his suffering.

i know it was the right thing to do for him, but I feel so guilty.

we had such a close bond and he loved me unconditionally.

i lost my dad two years ago but this feels worse!!

the house is empty, I feel like I can here him or catch site of him.

i want my baby back.

this is unbearable but I feel I can't show the grief because people think it's just a cat!!

he was my family and faithful friend... We miss him so much.

image.jpg

• Members

I really feel for you Ninah-Maria, he looks like such a beautiful boy.  The feelings of guilt are a natural part of the process as I'm learning, and no matter how many times people tell you you did the right thing and have nothing to feel guilty about you won't believe it, I know I don't even though my rational brain knows it's true.   I can totally relate to not wanting to say much to other people because they just don't it and do the it's only a dog or it's only a cat, they have no idea the bonds we build with our furbabies, the depth of those feelings and for that I pity them because it is truly magical to have that connection, that bond with another living thing.  I've found coming to this site is helping me because everyone here 'gets' it , we've all experienced that special relationship and are struggling to deal with that loss so please don't feel you have to hide your feelings here.  I've been crying non stop since I found out my beloved dog Ava has got terminal cancer and only has a few short weeks left.  I can't process it, eat or sleep hence why I am on here all the time, it's the only way I cam try to order my feelings.  So please don't feel you can't express your pain here.

• Members

Thankyou Sarah&Ava.

i was in denial for months, even after the vet told me that I was just on borrowed time.

i didn't want to accept that my baby was getting worse.

I knew I couldn't stand to watch him suffer and on sun during the night I know that he was and by Monday it seemed like he had given up.

it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I just can't get the picture of him dying out of my mind... And it was my decision ..

i just keep remembering what my nan always said to me.

its ok suffering if your going to get better in the end..

my fatboy wasn't going to get better. i hope he knows I did it because I loved him so so much I didn't want him to suffer any longer

image.jpg

• Members
6 minutes ago, Ninah-Maria said:

Thankyou Sarah&Ava.

i was in denial for months, even after the vet told me that I was just on borrowed time.

i didn't want to accept that my baby was getting worse.

I knew I couldn't stand to watch him suffer and on sun during the night I know that he was and by Monday it seemed like he had given up.

it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I just can't get the picture of him dying out of my mind... And it was my decision ..

i just keep remembering what my nan always said to me.

its ok suffering if your going to get better in the end..

my fatboy wasn't going to get better. i hope he knows I did it because I loved him so so much I didn't want him to suffer any longer

image.jpg

He is so beautiful, and was a beautiful little soul 

• Members

Oh god I can so relate to the denial, I swing wildly betwwem that and complete dispair :( I'm sure Fatboy knows how much you loved him and would want you yo know you did the right thing, your nan was right about suffering, wise words indeed.

• Members

I feel for you too Ninah-Marie, your fatboy looks a lot like my Charlie... he is here thankfully but I did lose my cat Bertie almost a week ago and that's how I found this forum and lovely people on it.

IMG_20140617_111914652.jpg

• Members

Ninah-Maria I'm sorry you no longer have Fatboy with you. The bond we have with our furbabies is a love that not all will experience. We value our babies as if they were human children. Don't let anyone ever make you feel bad for your love for Fatboy. I was at work when I got the call from the vet about Jacob turning for the worse. Only 1 of my coworkers understood what I was going through. I left work immediately left work to be with my baby. I didn't care and was willing to lose my job if they said I couldn't leave. There will always be another job but I will only have 1 time to say good bye to my Jacob.

• Members

Sarah&Ava I'm glad today has been a good day for Ava. Yes it's hard when you see them getting better and knowing it's not real. I hope she has more good days and that she enjoys every min she has. 

Jacobhasn't changed much. Every so often he turns his head and is breathing with his mouth open. He gets restless sometimes like he wants to get up but with him on the pain meds, he's unable to get around. He's lost his muscle and doesn't have the strength to do anything. We started giving him water through a syringe and even tried some chicken broth. We're just trying everything we can to make him comfortable. I have my moments where I break down but for the most part I'm trying to stay strong. I don't want him to feel me hurting. I want him to know that Mom will be ok. 

• Members

@Furbabies09, oh my i am so so sad for you and your lil jacob.  How awful to be in this situation.  It's a shame that vet care is so overly priced as it certainly limits what any average person can do to try and help their furry companions.  Hugs to you and Jacob.  I can't imagine how hard it is not knowing if he is suffering or not.  I want to think the pain meds are keeping the pain away for him. As you can probably tell, everyone here sympathizes with what you are going through.  So sorry.

• Members

@Ninah-Maria, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your fatboy.  Making that decision for them is absolutely heart ripping. You have every right to grieve. Sorry that someone is making you feel like you can't, if that's the case.  Hugs to you.

• Members

Thank you MyMocha. Yes, if there were more affordable places maybe Jacob would be in a different situation. Right now I'm dealing with the guilt of not changing vets when his Dr passed away and noticing the changes at the clinic. I keep thinking, if he was cared for by a different hospital, would he be ok. Very hard times.

• Members

Aaawwww it must be so awful for you, I'm sorry that both yu and Jacob are having to go through this. 

• Members

The problem with not being able to sleep is that your mind goes to all the places that are no good :(  So I have been in a dispute with royal mail over some ear medication I had ordered for Ava back at the begining of November, she had a recurrent ear infection that only seemed to get better by this one type of treatment.  Her ears were really bad and she was clearly in pain with them so I placed the order for next day delivery, needless to say it didn't come and infact is still missing Royal Mail lost it.  I eventually got the medication from another seller but that meant tha Ava suffered with a terrible ear infection for longer than she needed to because of this delay.  I have been emailing both the seller and Royal mail while I can't sleep to try to get this sorted before she passes because I know this will destroy me after she has gone but I just feel immense guilt for her suffering and anger at both myself and Royal Mail .  I know this is all very normal and part of the grief cycle but I'm really struggling with my emotions.  I also feel bad because Ava has a bed in the corner of the living room where we both sleep, it's a little snugg of blankets rather than a bed because she's so big she never fitted in a dog bed.  However since she came home after surgery she was unable to get into her bed because she was so unsteady on her feet she just flopped on the floor, by the next morning I took her top blanket out of her snugg and laid it on the floor, she went straight and led on it, since then I have moved the same blanket to different parts of the living room ie away from the fire because she was getting to hot away from one side of the living room because it disturbed her everytime I went to the kitchen, the thing I never realised until now is how attached she is to this particular blanket, no mater where I put it she goes and lies on it, she is now well enough to go back to her bed in the snugg courner. So of course now I torturing myself that maybe she has never liked her bed and why didn't I know how attached she was to this particular blanket.  She has just came and given me a big wet sloppy kiss as I'm writting this because she has just finished the food in her bowl which is the first time she has done this since she became ill.  One of our

little 'things' is that whenever she has her food, she always gets a treat when she finshes so she has come to get me so she can have her treat. which is so bittersweet.  I'm happy she is feeling better and eating again but it also brings it home to me that it's these kinds of things that I will miss, the little habits and funny ways we have developed over the years which are different to my other dog because they all have their own quirks x

• Members

Jacob had a rough night. He's moving around and making awful cries. We are down to 2 pain meds left. The Dr hasn't even called to check on him. I called to Dr at 8 when they opened and now I have to wait because the Dr doesn't come in till 9. Now it's the waiting game to for a call. 

My baby is having a hard time. I don't know what to do. We are questioning if he was ever diagnosed right. Could they have been wrong. We feel that the Dr is only playing Dr and more concerned about the money. No real research being done to find out what is going on. This is an overwhelming emotional rollercoaster. What do we do now?

• Members

Could you try another vet?  Maybe contact a different vets and ask for some advice over the phone (rather than just turning up).  In my experience any decent vet will help rather than see an animal suffer so I'm sure that if you phoned another vet they would at the very least give you some advice but might even be prepared to help.  I'm thnikng about you and can see how hard this is for you, you clearly love Jacob very much and want to do whats right for him xx

• Moderators

Furbabies,

I am so sorry for what Jacob is going through and both of you with him.  Whether they took payments or not, that's what I'd do, make payments. Something wrong with these people, they're inhumane.  On the other hand, I doubt there's anything could be done to save Jacob, when they have Diabetes that pronounced, once their kidneys are affected, they can't live without kidney function.  It brought me to tears to hear he lifted his head a bit when your husband came in.  He's a sweet loving kitty.

Have you thought about euthanasia so he doesn't have to suffer so much?  Poor baby, it seems no matter what it's hard.

• Members

Update. Last night was a rough night. Jacob was moving a lot from discomfort and had some horrible cries. We gave him his last pain meds this morning. We called the vet at 815. They opened at 8. I was told that I needed to bare with them because they just opened. I asked to talk to the Dr and was told they don't come in till 9. I said fine have her call me. Well 915 rolled around and no call. So I called a second time. I was told that the message was put on the white board for both dr's. It was for then to call in regards to my Jacob. She checked and said the color changed which means the Dr saw the note but instead of calling us, she saw a patient. The patient was a dog that came in with a limp and was going to need x-rays. So they are saying that my dying Jacob was not a high concern. I was told she would call me back maybe during the x-rays or after she's done with the patient. I was irate. I researched real quick and found another Dr that was associated with Jacobs original Dr. We immediately called and they got him in at 945 this morning. The Dr was in disbelief when he read the records and when we told him they had us stop his insulin, he was upset. He said Jacob should have continued on his insulin even though he couldn't eat. His sugar was 600+. They rushed him back and immediately took him back and started on treatments to bring his sugar down and pushing fluids. They will keep him for 24 hrs. We were told that at that time Jacob will let us know what to do. We will find out tomorrow if we were able to save our Jacob or if it's time to say goodbye. If we didn't take him in this morning, the Dr said he'd have 2 days at the most. Fingers crossed that he pulls through this.

20180118_101542.jpg

• Members

Oh my that's soo bad, I am truly sorry you've had such an awful time but thank god you got in touch with another vet at least they will be able to prevent him from suffering  any further, hopefully they will be able to turn things around and he will recover from this awful ordeal.  How are you doing?  It's been terrible for you to watch you furbaby suffer as he has been,  I can tell through your post how hard this has been for you, whatever happens now just know you hae done your best.

I'm think of you both and keeping my fingers crossed he pulls through xx

• Members

@Furbabies09, fingers crossed for you that Jacob pulls through somehow!!!  Huge Hugs!  I know how hard it is to have a a vet that apparently didn't care.  I lost my Mocha over that.  I truly hope you have a much different ending than me and Mocha.  Keep up updated.

• Members

We just got back from visiting Jacob. He's still detoxing from the pain meds we were giving him. His sugar is still high and was given another dose of insulin. He was lifting his head and trying to talk to us. We're hoping that tonight he'll eat something. The Dr is positive about Jacob. We'll be getting a call later to let us know how he's doing. We feel that he's really being taken care of here. All we can do is be positive and hope for the best. 

20180118_144712.jpg

• Members

This thread is just breaking my heart but I'm so happy to see that Jacob is being properly cared for and treated and he's getting the care he needs. He is a little fighter xx

• Moderators

This is heartwrenching, poor Jacob!  I'm glad to hear the vet is optimistic, I'm so glad you got a different vet that gives a hoot!  Too bad there's not someplace to report the other one!  But main concern is Jacob, I'm glad you were able to visit him.  Please keep us posted how he's doing.  I'd thought he was in kidney failure so I'm sorry if I misunderstood.  I hope and pray he recovers from this and can be back home with you soon.  Poor baby!

• Members

Update. We just came home from visiting Jacob. He did well through the night. We got a call this morning and the techs said he is becoming more alert. Lifting his head and trying to move his upper body and is having eye contact with the techs when spoken to. He's also trying to talk back. His sugar is still in the 560's but has come down from 600+. He is still on fluids and continuing the diabetes treatments. He has finally used the bathroom. We are hoping he's sitting up this afternoon. We will see if he's able to eat and drink anything on his own. A concern is if he comes home, will he be able to drink on his own and continue pumping out fluids because right now the iv fluids are keeping him alive. He's a fighter. We're staying positive. 

We did type some bad reviews under Google and Yelp. Also tried Facebook but I'm sure they will erase it. If you Google them, they have all good reviews. They delete or deny any negative reviews.

Collage_2018-01-19_10_55_41.jpg

• Members

Omg, that is such good news, obviously he's not out of the woods yet but I'm so pleased for you that he is improving.  The new vets sound like they are taking really good care of him and is is getting the treatment he so clearly needed from the start.  It's such a travesty that unscrupulous money grabbing vets are allowed to get away with what your other vet did.  I really feel you because I have always used the same vets since I moved here but it is quite far away from me and as Ava started getting older she couldn't walk there and as I can't drive I started taking her to a vets that was only a 10 minute walk away, but it never felt like they really cared, it was the get them in and out as quick as possible senario.  I am so glad that I listened to the voice in my head last Friday that told me to take her back to my old vets intead because not only do I not think she would be here now if she had gone to the other one but I don't think she would have received anywhere near the level of care she has had from our vet now, they have also been wonderful to me.  It makes such a differnence and is hard to believe that there are people that go into working with animals that truly don't respect or care for them and only see them as money.  I am so glad you have now got a vet that seems to really care and knows what their doing and I will pray that Jacob makes a full recovery and you can put this terrible time behind you and make lost of new, good memories.

• Members

Furbabies I read all your posts... I am glad too that you found this new vet. It's crazy that our precious pets' lives depend sometimes on incompetent and indifferent people. I send all my love to you and your sweet Jacob. I know how heartbreaking this battle is. I pray with all my heart that you both win it and may you get all the help in the world.

• Members

Sarah&Ava

Yes he's not out of the woods but we are so happy with how he's starting to recover. If things don't end up on a good note, I know we gave him a fighting chance. The new vet is great. The staff there is so caring and taken great care of our Jacob. 

The Dr Kevorkian hospital will no longer be in our lives. I got an ugly response from my review on their Facebook page. When I have time I'll share this. One min they apologize and say they dropped the ball but next min they are saying we hurt their feelings and talked badly of their character and they didn't like me mentioning Jacobs original Dr who passed away. I said no lies. I guess the truth hurts. 

As for Ava. I'm sorry you had to experience what you did when you changed vets. I'm glad to hear you went back and that y'all are being cared for. She knows you love her and knows what you do for her. Our babies know how to read us and know more than we think. Keeping you and Ava in my thoughts. 

• Members

Maria thank you for your love and prayers. Jacob has a long road ahead of him but thank goodness he now has a Dr that cares for him. The 1st hospital was horrible. We were so angry when we found out that the 1st hospital should have not treated him the way they did. My husband was so worked up that his blood pressure was high, had shortness of breath and heart was racing. Had to calm him down before I ended up rushing him to the hospital. That hospital has been a nightmare to us. We have been so stressed but now we have some relief.

• Members

Update. We just visited Jacob. Another overnight stay for him. He is showing some improvement each time we go see him. His sugar is in the 400's now. He is moving a little more. He looks like a baby when they lay on their belly's and are trying to hold their head up. He's still detoxing the pain meds. There is a possibility of there being some issues with his brain. This all had some affect on him. We're just staying optimistic and hope this is still the pain meds. If not, as long as my baby isn't in any pain, we'll still love him no different. He did take a few licks of water and I was able to liquid feed him a little. He ate more with me than he did earlier. I think he was showing off for us. He sure does love us. 

Tomorrow I go back to work. Unfortunately I won't be there for his next visitation, but he will have my husband there. I hog Jacob when we go visit, so it'll be nice for him to have some time with him alone. I will definitely be there for his night visitation. 

I want to thank all of you for your caring words, prayers and for sharing your stories with us. We still have a lot of work to do but it looks like Jacob is going to beat this. As long as he keeps fighting and we learn all the things we need to know on taking care of him, we will win. Jacob will show those killers and say you can't kill me. 

I'll be posting what we wrote on their Facebook page for a review. We gave them 1 star, not by choice. We'll also post the response from them and then our response to them. 

20180119_162413.jpg

• Members

Our review:

We have had 2 of our cats going there  since around 2010. We went there after researching . Dr Wayne Knapke was extremely knowledgeable  and compassionate. Unfortunately that legacy died with him. We have continued going there and that stopped today. Here's why:
About 8 months ago we took our 10-11( rescued from humane society so age is roughly this age ) year old baby boy in because he was drinking a lot of water and always seemed thirsty and started to become weak and didn't seem himself. We took him in to get seen and he was diagnosed with diabetes. We changed his diet and started him on insulin. It seemed to help and he became active again and things were great. Well we then noticed that he started to lose weight. He was still drinking water like crazy and he became hungry all the time. Now its Sunday January 14th and he stopped eating. We were always told that he needed to eat to have his insulin. So Monday morning comes and he still doesn't want to eat and he's very weak and limp. We called to see if we could get him in. We took him in and we found out that he had an infection plus his sugar was in the 500's, which seemed to be the answer anytime we asked about his sugar. We were told that he needed to be on an iv and needed antibiotics. We were told that he should be fine after that. I received a call letting me know his progress and was told that they were excited for us to see him because he was getting better but when my husband went to pick him up at 530 on Monday, he was worse than when we took him in. He still wasn't eating and wasn't drinking water. Instead he was so thirsty that he would just stick his head in the water. He was acting like he was drugged. We were just told that he was on fluids and antibiotics. Never did they say they used any drug and if there were any side effects we should look for. He was to return Tuesday January 15th for more fluids. I dropped him off again at 8am. I would call and check on him and was told that he was doing better and was moving his head around. Well at 2pm they call my husband and tell him that he has taken a turn for the worse but they wanted to keep him till 530 to push fluids. As his mother, I left work to come pick up my boy. The Dr. said that she wanted to keep him till 530 for more fluids. I asked her, would the 2 more hours of fluid really do anything for him? She said honestly, no. So  they gave me some pain meds to make him comfortable for him to pass at home. 
Well last night was a rough night. He was moving a lot from discomfort and had some horrible cries. We gave him his last pain meds this morning, January 18th. We called the vet at 815, knowing they opened at 8. I figured 15 mins was enough time for them to be ready for calls. I was told that I needed to bare with them because they just opened. I asked to talk to the Dr and was told they don't come in till 9am. I said fine have her call me. Well its now 915am and no call. So I called a second time. I was told that the message was put on the white board for both dr's. It was for them to call us back in regards to our baby boy, which they never called to check on him. The clerk checked and said the color changed which means the Dr saw the note but instead of calling us, she saw a patient. The patient was a dog with a limp who needed xrays. This patient was going to still be alive if she had taken a small amount of time to call us about our baby. To us Its like saying our dying baby was not a high concern. I was told that the dr would call me back maybe during the xrays or after shes done with the patient. I was irate. I researched real quick and found another dr. We immediately called and they got him in at 945 am Thursday January 18th. We were told by the new clinic that he should have NEVER been off his insulin regardless of him eating or not. We feel that the new clinic is very caring to our loved ones. You can feel the calm caring environment. It's not always busy like an Aspen Dental because thats what Oceanview  Veterinary Hospital became when Dr. Knapke passed away. We feel that the compassion is no longer there. Please make sure you get a second opinion before listening to what this hospital has to say. We may have lost our baby boy because of the lack of education this location has. We will no longer be coming to this location and we will be sharing our story with everyone. All these posts are positive, Hard to comprehend that.

Their response:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, we are so sorry that we let you down.  The suffering of a sick loved one can make us feel powerless and vulnerable.  We try to offer the best care available and fully inform family to give them an accurate assessment, but we obviously failed you on our communication here.  So much so that you felt the need to invoke the name of our passed loved one: Dr. Knapke.  Your words hurt us.  Our love for our patients and the work we do is hard for even us to describe and when it is called into question it upsets us greatly.  We did call back and leave a message after seeing the scheduled morning patient.  Sometimes a second opinion is helpful; doctors see things from different angles.  If you would like to contact us, we would like to engage to find the source of the miscommunication.  Even if we do not hear from you again, please know that we are fully evaluating the situation to find where we can improve.  We wish only the best for you and your family.

Our final response:

I'm so SORRY your feelings were hurt but y'all didn't care for my boy. He didn't receive the care he should have. You're absolutely right that different Dr's have different opinions. They also care for their patients differently. We are saying your care is one that we would never recommend to anyone. We've heard the stories from others of the nice care y'all gave their dying loved ones. Instead my boy suffered. Thank goodness we thought to get a second opinion. He wasn't dying, his sugar needed to be taken care of but instead y'all lead us to believe that he was dying and there was nothing you could do about it. We had excepted the fact that he was leaving us but when we saw our boy suffering and cring out, we looked for your help and he wasn't important enough for y'all. He's not out of the woods yet but he's been given a fighting chance. 
The fact that you take offense to us mentioning Dr. Knapke's name really shows that you have lost the meaning he created there. He always got down to the problem and helped our loved ones. Now that he has gone, y'all have lost that. Either way, if he was still with us, Jacob would have never been put through what he did. 
So I'm asking that you leave my family alone. If you can't handle the review then you're in the wrong field. You will fail at times but its how you handle the situation that counts and y'all handled it poorly. If sharing our story is offensive to you then maybe you should learn from this.

******Jacob will fight this********

20180119_162415.jpg

• Members

We just got a call before the tech left for the night. Jacob is sleeping comfortably. They tested his sugar at 530 and it was down in the 200's. We are still waiting for this pain meds to get out of his system. Thank goodness for the new hospital and it's staff. We need more places like this. These are our children's lives we entrust you with. 

• Members

@Furbabies09, congratulations on finding a vet to take the time to save your sweet jacob. I am so happy for you. I am also hoping he doesn' have any long term disabilities from this horrific ordeal but yes he is definitely a fighter. Let us know how he does. Hugs

• Members

Thank you MyMocha. Yes we're hoping he's not going to have any issues but if he does, we're glad to know we'll get the proper instructions on how to care for our boy. He's definitely a fighter. I will keep updating as I get the news. Y'all are part of this journey with us. Thank you.

• Members

That's such good news about Jacob, I'm so happy for you and so relieved for Jacob what a fighter he is!! I hope he continues to improve and you can bring him home soon.

• Members

Seems that you found the right people to care for your boy, I am so glad. He is in good hands. I am sending you thoughts of hope and healing.

• Members

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is checking this thread regularly for Jacob updates, I'm just so happy you have a vet that's caring and understanding and you know he is in good hands. It's such a simple expectation but one that's been so tough to find. I'm so so pleased to see he is doing better, have you told him how famous he is? Give him a kiss from all of us and tell him he has a ton of support on here!

Archived