Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
Jencatlover

Lost 16 year old cat yesterday and struggling to cope

Well what got me today was a simple custard tart. I left it on the side for a moment and for a split second thought I can't do that, Bertie will chew it, before I realised. There was at least one occasion where he decided he fancied a bite and took a chunk out of one. The thing is, I still ate it! I cut away the bit he had nibbled and ate the rest. I will never know why he liked to steal weird things, I think it was the action of stealing something he knew wasn't his. Stolen food is so much nicer than your own and such an achievement. But I also remember shouting at him when he did it and feeling terrible. I suppose that's normal. Disciplining a cat is like holding coffee in your hand without a cup, it's never going to happen. Their house, their rules,

I hope Bertie has lots of custard tarts to steal now. It's really the little things that hurt the most afterwards. So sad again right now and I was feeling a bit better too. 

@Jencatlover, oh i am sorry you had that moment...though it is probably bittersweet.  It's one of the things that make their absence so difficult as they are embedded into so much of our daily routine. 

I had a similar experience only I knew it was coming.  Mocha always like to eat some of my morning oats as well as the mac-n-cheese-n-tuna dish i would make for myself.  Both of those dishes were a guaranteed Mocha sighting.  I hesitated to make my Oats the day after she was cremated as I knew that was a special thing between us.  So i ended up making them as usual and making her a little serving as well. Hers sat untouched next to my breakfast area while i ate and yes, it was so sad. But it also brought back such precious memories.

I cried again last night and as soon as my opened this morning.  I guess it will just take time.  Hugs to you as you are obviously having a similar day.

My Arlie was literally starving when the county found and rescued him and I don't think that ever leaves them.  No matter that he's had regular meals in the nine years since, if there's anything edible, he will sneak into it, always will.  Sometimes that stolen food would flare up his Colitis, like right now I'm trying to heal him up from a bout of it.  We may holler at them for getting into something because we know it's not good for them, but by the same token, I've shared bites that I could with him and I bet you've done the same.

Wishing your Bertie lots of custard while he waits for you!

Well today it was a week since I lost my lovely Bertie, I do feel a lot better most of the time but some things hit you and the week milestone definitely has. In some ways it feels like yesterday he was here and in others it feels so long ago. This morning I picked up two bowls from the floor and leaned over to pick up Bertie's, just a split second before I stopped. The routines are so ingrained in our everyday lives aren't they? Love you my Bertie & miss you so bloody much xxx

The routines are the worst thing, because it's such an automatic process and then it hits you all over again.  It's so so hard.  I'm glad you are having some good moments to and I'm sure Bertie is too after all, all our furbabies want is to for us to be happy.

Yes, the routines we had with them are a definite trigger, it's hard to get past.  I'm sorry, I know how hard this is, we've all been there.

I am glad you are doing better too. A week is still so new to loss - now that I am over five months... I don't miss the physical heartache I had day and night in those first few days. There is nothing quite like it.  

You will have all kinds of things that trigger Bertie memories. Almost all funny I think. :) 

@KayC thinking of Arlie, hope he's doing okay. Sending a furry prayer his way.   

Arlie is all better now, thank you!  It helps that we've been down this road many times and I knew what to do.  I have changed my routine so now I shut the utility room door while my cat is eating so he can't get into her food and then I get rid of the food when she's done.  He's too sneaky and quick!  The first time I did that, though, I forgot to go let her out, I wondered where she was and four hours later I heard her meowing.  Oh boy, was she mad!!!  She wouldn't have anything to do with me the rest of the night.  Now I have to set a timer so I don't forget to check on her.  My aged absent mind!  This change seems to be working well now though.

@Jencatlover I am glad you are doing better. The sense of time  is very relevant when one is grieving but a week is really a short while, so there will be moments when the missing is very intense. Yes, the routines we had with them are the hardest to deal with. I am so sorry...

@MyMocha I am so sorry for your sadness too. I wish you both comfort as days go by.

@KayC I am glad your Arlie is doing better and that you found a solution to the food problem. Timers are one of the most useful things in a house.