Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Feeling like I'm going backwards

Steptreks

• Members

Hey all, I'm steph I'm 29 and I lost my nan in November, now I know I was lucky to have her until 29 as people keep pointing out but she was more than just a nan, my mum worked so hard to provide for me that my grandparents pretty much raised me, we all lived under one roof and quite frankly she was my favourite person in the whole world, she meant so much to me that I was crushed when she died, but I'm feeling worse now than I did in November and I can't understand why, I'm struggling to fall asleep, waking up crying, finding it hard to think about her, I had my first panic attack last week and I've been shaky since... But why is it 3 months later it's hit me? 

• Members

Grief is silly in that it is up and down after we lose someone or something.  Impacting you a few months after your Nan passed away is completely normal and will likely go through stages.  Losing someone we love is like losing a piece of ourselves.  Take gentle care of yourself. 

• Members

Dear Steptreks,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss. Please be kind to yourself. There is no right way or wrong way to grieve.  Grief takes many forms.  Many people compare it to a rollercoaster. I know its really hard right now, but be as gentle as possible with yourself as possible. Let the hurt and sorrow out.

If you want to maybe consider talking to a grief counsellor or joining a support group.

Take care of yourself the best you can. Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Steph, 

I am so sorry for your loss I am sorry I don' know you but I would like to sent my thoughts to you and your family.

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Dear Steph, 

I am sorry for your loss. I have experienced that too. For me, I have had delayed grief and I also think...as the shock wore off and things became so real with them physically gone, that I started those parts of my grieving process. Just when I think I’m doing ok and I have made steps forward, I go back into things I have felt and the grief is fresh all over again. It’s awful, but normal and the best thing to do is continue to share your feelings and feel them. In doing so, things transform. Grief is something you live with when you love deeply and it will ebb and flow. It’s sounds like a beautiful bond you two had and so of course you would feel all those emotions and have trouble sleeping. Because too...you start to become aware of all the things you miss about them, or what you would have said to them when something happens in your life you want to share. Both of my brothers are gone and I still sometimes want to dial their numbers and tell them my joy or sorrow. Hugs on your heart Steph. I am sending postive thoughts to you, that each time you do something she would have helped you with, or that she would have liked, that you feel the emotion...honor it and then tell yourself that it’s ok and then see it as honoring her and how she would love you living your life and continuing to do the things you did together.

Archived