Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Anxiety over Vacation after loss

DisneyDad

• Members

My Dad died rather unexpectedly a month ago. He had been ill and we knew he wouldn't recover, but doctors said he at least had months left. He died the next day. 

We had a family trip planned and after discussing have decided to go ahead with it as planned. He'd be upset if we didn't. 

But as that trip draws near my anxiety over his loss seems to increase.  I know I need to still go. I feel like going is part of the healing process. Even the thought of packing for this holiday is overwhelming.  The closer it comes the more breakdowns I seem to have. 

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you find helpful? 

• Members

I am so very sorry about the loss of your fatherI think it's wonderful that you are planning on continuing the family trip he would have dearly loved to have gone on. It's a nice way to honor him. 

While I'm no expert, I would certainly believe your anxiety and apprehension is normal. My suggestion would be to cry as hard as you want while you pack, and go have as much fun as you can. It may sound crazy, but when I'm doing something I know my dad would love, I talk to him about it; I feel as though he may just know what I'm saying. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  I seriously got goose bumps reading this because i have been dealing with this as well.  My mom passed away in November and we had already bought our kids tickets to disneyland for their big Christmas gift.  I started having anxity attacks nightly  at the idea of going.  We were actually supposed to be heading home today but we chose to postpone it until Feb.  However,  my dad passed away today and now I don't think I can bring myself to go.   I have no idea why I am so terrified to go but I am.  So please know that you are not alone,  though I have no idea why it happens.   Thoughts for you and your family.

• Members

I'm on vacation now and yes it is hard but I also feel a closeness to him at the same time. 

I cried on the plane, when I first walked down main street, when I went on the last ride I was on with him last time.  But it isn't the dark cloud quite like I thought it would be. 

This was always a happy place for our family, so while this trip isn't the same, it isn't as difficult as I anticipated

On 11/01/2018 at 12:37 AM, NMRNO said:

I am so sorry for your loss.  I seriously got goose bumps reading this because i have been dealing with this as well.  My mom passed away in November and we had already bought our kids tickets to disneyland for their big Christmas gift.  I started having anxity attacks nightly  at the idea of going.  We were actually supposed to be heading home today but we chose to postpone it until Feb.  However,  my dad passed away today and now I don't think I can bring myself to go.   I have no idea why I am so terrified to go but I am.  So please know that you are not alone,  though I have no idea why it happens.   Thoughts for you and your family.

• Members

Thank you for letting us know how the trip is going. It is a good way to honor your dad. I'm sure he would want you to enjoy yourselves the best you can.

Thinking of you and your family.

Archived