Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My elderly dog died after 3 months of his adoption

Valechka

• Members

I adopted an old dog and 3 months later he died.  I am shattered. 

I cannot even comprehend how dog owners deal with their dog dying after they raised the dog from a young age. 

IMG_9533.JPG

• Members

He was a perfect angel and everyone (including 2 of my crabby neighbors, who hate everyone) LOVED him.

• Members

Oh no I am so so sorry! What a beautiful dog he was too. I know this is of little consolation, I know you are heartbroken, but you did a very selfless thing, giving him a home and lots of love even though you knew that you did not have a puppy and so the time would be limited. I think you are a very good person.

I lost my cat after having him for 10 years a few months ago. We just adopted a 2 yr old cat. I had wanted to get a much older as they fill the shelters and seem to take forever to find a home but my husband fell for the 2 yr old. Adopting senior pets is truly kind. 

Lately there have been several people on this form who had their pets a very short time - months. I don't really think the time matters... the bonds can form so quickly and deeply. I hope you find some comfort in some of the posts here, we all know what it is like. "Shattered" is a good word. I am so sorry you lost him so soon.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Valechka said:

I cannot even comprehend how dog owners deal with their dog dying after they raised the dog from a young age. 

It's no different raising them from a young pup than adopting them in their older age...once we give our heart to them, it's not ours anymore.

When I first opened this and saw the picture of your dog, I said, "Oh no!"  He's beautiful, I can feel how much love you must have for him.  He looks very much like my dog when he's sleeping only my dogs ears are erect.  Beautiful, beautiful baby.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I'm so glad he got to spend his last three months with you though where he knew he was loved.  The alternative would be him on the streets hungry or locked up in a cage waiting to be adopted, or having his life cut short prematurely.  You gave him the best option.

My heart goes out to you, I know your pain, but I hope you find comfort knowing you gave him your best.

• Members
On 1/6/2018 at 8:33 AM, KayC said:

once we give our heart to them, it's not ours anymore.

KayC, you are absolutely right.  I just never had a dog before and was not expecting to fall in love so quick.   Thank you for your kind words.  I miss him so much.  

• Members
On 1/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, AJWCat said:

I lost my cat after having him for 10 years a few months ago. We just adopted a 2 yr old cat. I had wanted to get a much older as they fill the shelters and seem to take forever to find a home but my husband fell for the 2 yr old. Adopting senior pets is truly kind.

Congratulations on your new kitty :)  and thank you for your kind words. My original intention was to adopt an old service dog. But after I saw Sharik, I had to have him.  He was not only beautiful, but perfectly behaved and so gentle.  He would always check up on me and would protect me from suspicious characters when we went out for walks.  He never broke anything or chewed on anything (ok he had only a few teeth left, but it's the thought that counts).  His cat sibling is the complete opposite (chews on everything and pees next to the fireplace), but at least we can grieve together.

• Members

I can see why, he was so beautiful. I am glad you have your kitty. I grieved for my cat in an empty house, as many of us do, and it was crushing. I hope you are doing okay. 

Archived