Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I'm still triggered by my dog's sudden death

M0US3

• Members

In mid-August, my sister's dog died in his sleep. When I went to let him and his brother outside, I noticed that he was laying on his back. I thought it was strange because he never sleeps in. I walk over to him and there he is, dead on the ground. I have come to the conclusion that he died of organ failure, seeing as he showed few to no symptoms, he died in his sleep, and he was only a year and a half. Now I'm trying extra hard to make sure my other dog remains healthy. All is well and good now, but for the past few days I've walked in on my dog sleeping on his back and I start to panic. Just now I went to check on him and he, of course, was asleep on his back. All he did was look at me with blank eyes, and he didn't move until I walked closer to him. I was so close to crying that I had to leave.

• Moderators

I'm sorry for your loss, that experience has left its mark on you and now triggers you.  In time it should lessen a bit.  It's normal for dogs to sleep on their back, especially in a safe trusted environment.  When they have to be on guard they don't do that, but in the sanctity of their own home with people they love, they allow themselves to be more vulnerable because they know they're safe.  Try to think of it this way, that they know they are loved and safe when they sleep like this.  There had to be a birth defect or something for your sister's dog to die at 1 1/2 years with no obvious cause, it would have happened regardless of sleeping position.

Archived