Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my best friend

chriscal23

• Members

Hi, 

I wish I'd thought of joining a support group a few years back, but it's better late than never. 

My sister passed away about 4 years ago due to a brain tumor. It was a hard scenario as anyone could imagine going through, but I managed to get over the worse setback. Many things flashed through my mind such as regret, guilt, and pain.

At this point in my life, I've come to the conclusion that the pain will never entirely go away. There really hasn't been a day where I'm not thinking about here, even if she's the last thought before I go to bed. I guess I've sought this support group because my sister always had my back. I would share many things but above all, she would understand me better than anyone else since we had a lot in common. 

It's really tough to talk to family members who clearly don't understand what I'm going through, so I figured this would be my next best shot.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar scenario?

Thanks,

Chris 

• Members

Hi Chris,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your sister. I have lost a brother, which was traumatic in itself, but I have not lost my sisters, who are my best friends. I can totally relate to how lost I would be without them. 

There are many people here who feel how you do. Hopefully, you will be able to connect and get some tips and advice for how to find support from others, who just won't ever be able to replace your sister, but who can still be supportive of you. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members
Alex_misses_Liz

Hi Chris,

My little sister was my best friend, too.  She was my only sibling and she died in 2001 of osteo sarcoma (bone cancer).  I still miss her terribly.  The thing I miss the most is having someone on my side whether I was right or wrong and being that person for her.  I have never met anyone else who has lost their best friend/only sibling in person in my life.  My life is more lonely without having her- that one person I share everything with- and it doesnt help that I've never met anyone who can relate.  Learning that you exist makes me feel like I'm not the only person who knows what this feels like.  What do you do to try to feel better when you miss her, or like when you wake up from a dream and have to remember that she's gone all over again?

• Members
Wendy's.Sister

I, too, lost my only sibling, my little sister and best friend, just this past Oct. 3rd. It is so incredibly painful and yet, I have moments of peace when I feel her love will always be with me but now I know she is free of a body that was not working right. She died from complications from Crohn's disease and was 47. Talking to her out loud right now or in my head during very painful moments helps. Being with my sweet kitty cat, Chloe, is also a great comfort right now, and asking for hugs from other family members. I know she wants me to heal and to get to a place of peace and even joy. I will try because that will honor her beauty and her joyful, selfless spirit. 

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Hi Chris,

Yes. I’ve lost two siblings. Both young. You're in the right place here with people who understand. Not a moment goes by when I’m not thinking about them. Wanting to share things with them. I do things like go to there favorite spots and do their hobbies in honor if them and that helps some to have a ritual. Once a year, I fish in my brothers favorite spot. I write them cards. I’ve done balloon releases. I share my deepest thoughts with my therapist and two friends who have lost their siblings. It’s the only way I know how to kot keep things inside my body. Missing them never goes away, but the grief transforms when you share. Knowing others are out there like is helps to. Love and prayers for you.

Archived