Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Keeping Holidays Alive

Swoopie

• Members

My Dad passed away 11/16..then the holidays and again this year. The table feels empty. How do you find joy and memory with such an obvious reminder of loss? I can't and can't be part of it although the rest of my family even my Mom has found a way. None of their answers work for me... Please help.

• Members

Dear Swoopie,

Everyone grives differently. Because everyone is different. There is no wrong or right way.

The void will always be there and as painful. But you’ll find a way to build your life around the pain.

Perhaps I can’t help you. But be assured, you’re not alone. 

• Members

Dear Swoopie,

I hear your struggle. I wish I knew where the balance is. After my dad passed I didn't want to do anything for the holidays. But I went through the motions for my mom's side of the family. This year I visited my dad at the cemetery and brought him flowers. This is my new tradition. A very sad one but I do it. And then I still gather with my mom's side of the family and seeing kids open their presents gives me some joy. Its not perfect.

People say I have to do what works for me. Its not an exact science that is for sure. I try different things and I try to be flexible.

Archived