Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I feel like I’ll never get better

April C

• Members

My dog passed 5 months ago and every time I think about her I ball my eyes out. I’m only 17 and she was my best friend. I feel like I have no one to talk to that can relate. I haven’t been truly happy since and I don’t think I’ll ever be happy again. 

• Members

April C, 

I am so very sorry about the loss of your dog. I know it's so very tough right now, but it will get easier in time. Have you told your parents how you feel? 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi April, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. It is a really painful experience and it takes some time to learn to live without them.

I am almost 5 months without my cat so I know where you are on this. I will say for me it has gotten better but I still have very sad days. Your dog will always have a very special place in your heart because he was unique, even when you have other dogs in the future. Don't worry you will recover eventually (I have lost other pets so I know) and the sadness will give way to just the happy good memories of your dog.

But I am glad you came here because we all understand how much hurts. Some people don't relate as much. They "get over it" quickly and we take longer. Don't let that make you feel bad either. There are many people like you. I hope sharing has made you feel a little better. Just be patient. If you cry, you cry. It is part of the grief process. 

• Moderators

April,

I hope you come back on line to read the responses to your post.  I have lost a lot of pets over my lifetime, both parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, friends, niece, nephew, two babies, and my husband.  Having been through all that, I've learned that grief continues but evolves.  It won't stay in the same intensity of pain, but we will continue to miss the person or pet that we've lost.  It takes much time to adjust to the changes it makes to our lives.

It would help to talk to a qualified grief counselor.  Start by sharing your feelings with your parents or school counselor.  There are also grief support groups you could try, and many counselors and support group are specifically for loss of pet.

It helps to come here and read others' posts to realize you are not alone in how you feel and to see how others manage to cope and adjust to their loss.  It helps to share your feelings and know you are heard and understood and to know your feelings are normal in grief.

(((big hugs)))

Archived