Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my sweet Nicki.....

ais312

• Members

Two weeks ago, on what also would have been my dad's 79th birthday if he was still here, I unexpectedly lost my 8 year-old tabby, Nicki, to blood clots that took away the use of her back legs then 12+ hours later took her lungs and heart. She was my youngest of 4, my other girls being 12, 13 and 14 1/2. I found out the week before that Nicki had kidney failure, but thought I had more time with her. She would sit on the piano bench while I played, purring and looking up at me so sweetly, like she was in heaven listening to me play, especially the songs with higher notes. I've played only twice since losing her, and couldn't play much without thinking about her and then couldn't play anymore. I miss her so, so much. I have a petsitting business, and recently ordered new magnetic signs for my car that now have her picture on them - can't wait to get them in t he mail this week - it will be a very special tribute to her from my heart. I've also bought everything needed from a crafts store to make my own stepping stone for her grave on my mom's property, which I'm sure will be very therapeutic as well. Maybe these ideas will appeal to others here, as it does really help to do things to give honors to the pets we've lost. I use vistaprint online to create my business materials, but anyone can create anything there including personal photos.....just a magnetic sign or bumper sticker with a special pet's photo might be nice to honor a pet after he/she is gone from this world. I'll never, ever forget my Nicki, but somehow the thought of seeing her precious face on my car feels like a very special tribute and statement of how special she was.

• Members

Two weeks ago, on what also would have been my dad's 79th birthday if he was still here, I unexpectedly lost my 8 year-old tabby, Nicki, to blood clots that took away the use of her back legs then 12+ hours later took her lungs and heart. She was my youngest of 4, my other girls being 12, 13 and 14 1/2. I found out the week before that Nicki had kidney failure, but thought I had more time with her. She would sit on the piano bench while I played, purring and looking up at me so sweetly, like she was in heaven listening to me play, especially the songs with higher notes. I've played only twice since losing her, and couldn't play much without thinking about her and then couldn't play anymore. I miss her so, so much. I have a petsitting business, and recently ordered new magnetic signs for my car that now have her picture on them - can't wait to get them in t he mail this week - it will be a very special tribute to her from my heart. I've also bought everything needed from a crafts store to make my own stepping stone for her grave on my mom's property, which I'm sure will be very therapeutic as well. Maybe these ideas will appeal to others here, as it does really help to do things to give honors to the pets we've lost. I use vistaprint online to create my business materials, but anyone can create anything there including personal photos.....just a magnetic sign or bumper sticker with a special pet's photo might be nice to honor a pet after he/she is gone from this world. I'll never, ever forget my Nicki, but somehow the thought of seeing her precious face on my car feels like a very special tribute and statement of how special she was.

Hi Audrey,

I am so sorry about Nicki. I have four cats myself--two boys and two girls. Several years ago, I had a beautiful black and white cat named Emmy. I had her for 15 years, but then she died of cancer. I vowed never to adopt another pet at that time, but somehow my little furbabies kept finding me.

I think the magnetic signs are awesome. Where did you get them from? Also, how are you going to do the stepping stone? That sounds really interesting.

Thank you for posting. Do you have a pic of Nicki? You can upload it to the Gallery if you'd like.

Konnie

• Members

Hi Konnie,

Thank you. Actually, Nicki was one of those who did the choosing when she cried under my windows 8 years ago as a kitten - they know what house to go to. :)

I'm not able to figure out uploading a photo yet as I'm using a client's Mac, which I'm not really familiar with - I have photos on a flash drive with me but don't know how to make it work on a Mac, whether uploading up to my Flickr account or directly uploading it to my account here. I'm here with 2 dogs for overnight petsitting, so I'm away from my home pc. :)

I get my signs from Vistaprint (vistaprint.com), and they are a great company, with very reasonable prices - 2 small car signs (9x12" maybe?), designed using their templates and my photo added, for under $30 including shipping and handling. Then at checkout, after, they offer more great offers, and I got 2 more signs added to the order for only $8 additional. I use them for my signs, business cards, business card magnets, etc.

As far as the stepping stone, I found everything at Michael's, a large crafts store. They also carry kits to do it, but I wanted to do my own completely, using a plaster mix, plastic mold (12" round), colored marble stones and heart-shaped tiles, all bought as separate items. I haven't had the time to do it yet, but it seems easy - you have about an hour to work with it after pouring the plaster/water mix into the mold. I just wanted something somewhat "real", and also unique, not the pre-made hard plastic stepping stones at a garden shop or local Walmart.

Thank you for your quick response to my post. It's been really hard to even talk to anyone about Nicki and hold it all together, so this site is really great.

Audrey

Hi Audrey,

I am so sorry about Nicki. I have four cats myself--two boys and two girls. Several years ago, I had a beautiful black and white cat named Emmy. I had her for 15 years, but then she died of cancer. I vowed never to adopt another pet at that time, but somehow my little furbabies kept finding me.

I think the magnetic signs are awesome. Where did you get them from? Also, how are you going to do the stepping stone? That sounds really interesting.

Thank you for posting. Do you have a pic of Nicki? You can upload it to the Gallery if you'd like.

Konnie

• Members

I totally understand about how difficult it is to talk about Nicki. I cried for weeks over Emmy, and I still cannot look at a picture of her without getting misty. She was a great friend to me, but she didn't like other people. She wouldn't sit in anybody else's lap but mine, and she slept right beside me at night.

I found Felix, our newest furkid, this winter huddling under our house as a tiny kitten. He was trying to keep warm and dry because we had a foot of snow on the ground. I kept hearing a meow, and it took me a few days to figure out where it was coming from. I feel bad that I left him out there so long, but I had no idea....

Wow, the price is extremely reasonable for the signs; I may look into it for myself.

Also, I love the stepping stone idea, because it's crafty, yet, personal, and thoughtful all at the same time. I am thinking it may be a good project for my entire family to do to put one in our flower bed for my father, who passed away a year ago. I think he would be touched, you know?

So, when you get home, if you feel like it, post a pic of Nicki. Our gallery is easy to use--If I can do it, then anyone can--LOL!

• Members

I'm also sorry for your loss.I lost my 15yr.old cat a month before my mom died unexpectantly,and than suddenly lost my 5yr old cat a month after my moms death.I have never felt so much grief and pain before.My cat Sonny was my little buddy and was helping me get over my moms death,so losing him was devastating.It has been 2yrs.now and I can still cry when I look at his picture or think about how scared he looked when I took him to the vet that last day.I would have doen anything to have had him longer.I have since rescued 3 kittens from a shelter who were going to be put to sleep.At first I didn't think I would love them as much as my other 2 who I lost,but it didn't take long for them to win me over and become my babies too.Your kitty was lucky to have had such a great loving home,sadly their are thousands out there that never will experience the love we gave our babies.The stepping stone is a beautiful tribute to honor her memory! :)

• Members

I'm also sorry for your loss.I lost my 15yr.old cat a month before my mom died unexpectantly,and than suddenly lost my 5yr old cat a month after my moms death.I have never felt so much grief and pain before.My cat Sonny was my little buddy and was helping me get over my moms death,so losing him was devastating.It has been 2yrs.now and I can still cry when I look at his picture or think about how scared he looked when I took him to the vet that last day.I would have doen anything to have had him longer.I have since rescued 3 kittens from a shelter who were going to be put to sleep.At first I didn't think I would love them as much as my other 2 who I lost,but it didn't take long for them to win me over and become my babies too.Your kitty was lucky to have had such a great loving home,sadly their are thousands out there that never will experience the love we gave our babies.The stepping stone is a beautiful tribute to honor her memory! :)

HI butterfly13,

Oh, I am so very sorry about all of your losses. To lose your mother AND your cats, I can't imagine what you went through. I hope you had other support from family and friends.

You are right, some cats never get the love and care they deserve. I am so glad you rescued three more kitties. My cats are all rescues. They will love you dearly and always be thankful to you. If I could, I would have a cat farm where I would bring all the unwanted cats in the world. But alas, I know that's impossible. I wish people would be more responsible and get their pets fixed, don't you?

We are happy to have you here. Come back any time. Feel free to talk about your cats and your mom.

Konnie

• Members

Thank you Konnie!Actually,this website helped me so much with my losses.I have met 2 wonderful friends through the loss of a parent thread,and this thread helped with the loss of my cats.It's a great site.I used to volunteer for an animal shelter,it amazes me that people still don't spay and neauter their animals.God,if I ever win the lottery my dream is to have a cat sanctuary.Until than I will continue to spoil the 4 that I have!Thanks again for your response!! :)

• Members

Thank you Konnie!Actually,this website helped me so much with my losses.I have met 2 wonderful friends through the loss of a parent thread,and this thread helped with the loss of my cats.It's a great site.I used to volunteer for an animal shelter,it amazes me that people still don't spay and neauter their animals.God,if I ever win the lottery my dream is to have a cat sanctuary.Until than I will continue to spoil the 4 that I have!Thanks again for your response!! :)

I am glad you've made friends here.

LOL. I will let you help me with my cat sanctuary if I win! I love cats. Wouldn't it be kinda neat if lions and tigers were as loveable and domesticated as house cats and we could own a couple of those? Imagine snuggling with a giant cat:)

Konnie

Archived