Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do i ______ on the forums?

• Members

Hey everyone!

As you can see the forums have recently changed over. This forum/thread is to try and consolidate all questions about how to do things that might be new or handled differently than the old forum. Please post any questions here and we'll try to get back to you as soon as possible!

• Members

How do I change my profile?

In the upper-left corner of the screen (under "Grieving.com") is your name and picture (if you have one loaded). If you click on your name, a drop-down menu will pop up with a number of options. Click on "Edit Profile" and you'll be able to modify nearly any setting with your profile.

• Members

How do I spell check? 

The forum well check you as you go! Anytime you see a word underlined in red, the forum believes it may be spelled wrong. You can either correct it yourself if you realize how the word is spelled wrong, or if you right click on the word the forum will list your options to correct the word. Just select the one you want and there you go!

• Members

Eric

How do I get the PM and Add as friend under my avatar picture (PIP).

Obviously it is easy, others have done it, but I cannot figure it out

Colleen

• Members

Eric

How do I get the PM and Add as friend under my avatar picture (PIP).

Obviously it is easy, others have done it, but I cannot figure it out

Colleen

Hey colleen, you're not doing anything wrong!

You actually can't add those under your avatar, the forum adds them automatically for everyone else. The reason they are there, is if you want to send that person a message or add that person as a friend. Since you can't friend yourself(although i feel like my own best friend sometimes) and you can't send yourself a private message you won't have those buttons.

Hope that clears it up a bit, if not please let me know!

• Members

Eric

I have 3 dots under my sons picture. Others have an envelope that I click on to send them a PM. How do I get that envelope so my friends can PM me?

Colleen

• Members

i'm sorry i explained that pretty poorly. Everything of yours is still correct though. Everyone else will see the add friend and send PM box under your avatar, you are the only one who doesn't see it. I double checked before i posted this just to make sure, and i do see both of those for you.

• Members

Good morning from down under. I am trying to send a PM or 'start a conversation' with mikesmomrs and get the error message that she can't receive any? Is there something I'm missing? Trudi Mikesmum (the other one)

• Members

Good morning from down under. I am trying to send a PM or 'start a conversation' with mikesmomrs and get the error message that she can't receive any? Is there something I'm missing? Trudi Mikesmum (the other one)

Thanks for letting me know, i changed a setting and sent them a test PM to mikesmomrs and it said it went through. Let me know if there are any other problems!

• Members

I can't figure out how to change the name under my avatar so that it says something other than Advanced Member. I tried changing something on my profile, but it doesn't look like it changed.

Rhonda Westley's Mom

• Members

You should be able to change your title now, it was set to require that you had made 500 posts before you could change that, you now can change your title no matter how many posts you've made. Let me know if you have any other problems!

• Members

Umm, but how exactly? I couldn't find anything that said change title. The thing that I changed said you could change 3 times in 30 days and I used one, but it didn't appear to work. Was that the right thing, it just wouldn't let me do it? So I need to do it again and it will "take"?

• Members

Thats my fault, when i changed it i accidentally turned it off completely, go to your profile, click the "profile tab" and its about the 4th thing down. the field is titled "member title" and you can put anything you would like in there, and it will replace "advanced user"

• Members
heartbeataway

I inadvertently posted the same thing three times. How do you delete posts?

Thanks!

• Members

I inadvertently posted the same thing three times. How do you delete posts?

Thanks!

Hey! So i don't believe you can delete your own posts, if you can the option will be in the bottom right of each post. If not, let me know which post #s you want deleted(theyre in the upper right of each post) and i can delete the extras. Thanks!

• Members

Morning Eric.. am slowly working my way around but still can't change fonts or colours. I choose a font and colour yet my post stays the same.. Could you step me through the process? Thanks Trudi

• Members

Morning Eric.. am slowly working my way around but still can't change fonts or colours. I choose a font and colour yet my post stays the same.. Could you step me through the process? Thanks Trudi

Are you selecting the font or color before or after you type out your message? If youve already typed your message, you need to select whatever you want changed before it will do anything.

• Members

Are you selecting the font or color before or after you type out your message? If youve already typed your message, you need to select whatever you want changed before it will do anything.

I select before I type and it comes up with a coding (?) before my post. should I be selecting something from the 'other styles' befoe fonts and paintbrush?

Trudi

• Members

i'm guessing the coding looks something like . The way those work, whatever you want changed has to be in betweem those 2 bits on formatting to actually change. So type out what you want first, then highlight it and select the color you want and it should work!

• Members

Am trying your suggestion wish me well.

By George I think I've got it...

• Members
heartbeataway

Good Morning,

"carriebear" cannot access BI

She keeps getting an error. She requested that I seek help for her. Can you help her?

Thanks!

• Members

Good Morning,

"carriebear" cannot access BI

She keeps getting an error. She requested that I seek help for her. Can you help her?

Thanks!

Thank you for letting me know, i sent an email to carriebear, if you know, what kind of error was she getting? thanks!

• Members

I can't find my friends! Where did they go??? :unsure:

300FBFBE-F008-DC26-1BB5-765664DD600C1.02.28

• Members

hey! sorry to be dense but i'm not entirely sure what you mean, are you not seeing them in your profile? When i looked at your profile i saw a list of people so it seems like you still have a friend list

• Members

I am sorry but I went to my post How do I forgive and I can not find my original post anywhere,, I was wondering what happened to it,, please help me locate it,, It may sound silly but I need to read it to see for my self what if any progress I truly have made,, thanks..

• Members

So i looked through the thread, and I saw a number of posts from you in there. What was your original post about? The other thread i was able to find that was started by you was http://grieving.com/index.php/topic/748-is-suicide-truely-catching/page__p__47754__hl__suicide__fromsearch__1#entry47754 . please let me know if this is it or any info you have about the other post. Thanks!

• Members

Eric,

Could you please help me to correct my sons avatar photo. Brian would be very upset knowing his face is squished. He was a bit vane.

Any help you can give me to make my sons picture as handson as he really was, would be greatly appreciated.

Colleen

• Members

sorry it took me a bit to get back to you but it appears to be fixed, i just changed the size on it. Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns/requests!

All you have to do in the future, any pictures you want to put in will end up being 90x90. I just changed the longest side of the picture to 90 pixels and then re uploaded it, the forum for some reason stretches and makes the pictures look odd.

• Guests

Hi Eric, Hopefully you're still around...

Would you explain how to get spell check to work? I know you've explained before and I thought I knew, but apparently I don't.

Thanks,

Susannah

• Members

Hi Eric, Hopefully you're still around...

Would you explain how to get spell check to work? I know you've explained before and I thought I knew, but apparently I don't.

Thanks,

Susannah

Hi Susannah,

Eric is still around, but I went ahead and took the liberty of copying his original post to repost to you. Maybe he can add something else to it if you are still needing more help.

Why doesn't spell check work? Upon investigation, I found that this board does not have a built in spell check. The spell check is run through your web browser. There are 2 ways you might be able to get this to work.

1 - The download page the button someone was suggested to go to is to download a plug in for their web browser to install a spell check. This way, you would have a spell check anytime you're using your browser not just on this site.

If you use Internet Explorer then I found what was a recommended spell check application that is free - http://www.iespell.com/download.php or http://download.cnet...4-10208550.html

2 - The other method, and this one isn't guaranteed to work, is to go to the upper right corner, click your name for the drop down and select "My Settings". The first tab that comes up should be Settings, with General settings selected. Look for the box that states "Enable visual (RTE) editor?" If you click the box for this, it can possibly enable a spell check for you also.

3 - supposedly firefox has a built in spell check for people who use that. I personally use Google Chrome for browsing and it apparently also has it's own built in spell checker as well

Hope this helps,

ModKonnie

• Members

Eric: is there a particular way to post pictures so that they are not so huge? I use Microsoft Digital Image pro 9 to do that, but many don't have photo programs and their pics are just huge when opened. thanks. Carol mikesmomrs

• Members

Administrators

Please know that words cannot express how much I love this website and the service you provide to people in need.

I have been on this site since June of 2008. This is just a comment and my opinion only.

The website title Beyond Indigo, brought a glimmer of hope and an aspiration of actually being able to survive this loss. But the current title Grieving brings death to mind and in a constant state of sadness.

When we post to newly bereaved parents, we try to tell them that they can survive this. We can breath again.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, I would not be as far in my grief journey (which would be a great title) as I am if it was not for this site.

Thanks again

Colleen, Brian's Mother Forever

• Members

Administrators

Please know that words cannot express how much I love this website and the service you provide to people in need.

I have been on this site since June of 2008. This is just a comment and my opinion only.

The website title Beyond Indigo, brought a glimmer of hope and an aspiration of actually being able to survive this loss. But the current title Grieving brings death to mind and in a constant state of sadness.

When we post to newly bereaved parents, we try to tell them that they can survive this. We can breath again.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, I would not be as far in my grief journey (which would be a great title) as I am if it was not for this site.

Thanks again

Colleen, Brian's Mother Forever

Thank you for expressing your opinion, Colleen. I will pass this along to the decision makers. It's always good to get feedback.

ModKonnie

• Members

Maybe this is a stupid question but I a new here. I cant' remove my real name and address in my profile. I have looked everywhere and there is no where to change it. Also i cannot connect to facebook. Am I doing something wrong?

• Members

Maybe this is a stupid question but I a new here. I cant' remove my real name and address in my profile. I have looked everywhere and there is no where to change it. Also i cannot connect to facebook. Am I doing something wrong?

I changed your name and zip code to "private." As far as Facebook, do you have a facebook account already set up? Let me see what I can find out, and I will get back with you.

ModKonnie

• Members

Hello, like a previous user, I cannot remove my real name, address and zip from being public. Can you advise on how to do this?

Thanks!

• Members

Hello, like a previous user, I cannot remove my real name, address and zip from being public. Can you advise on how to do this?

Thanks!

I will remove it for you and put "private"

• Members
Tweetymm125@aol.com

Thanks!

• Members

I will remove it for you and put "private"

Konnie...would you be good enough to do the same for me, thanks.

• Members

Konnie...would you be good enough to do the same for me, thanks.

Hi Kate,

It's done. Thanks for being patient.

ModKonnie

• Members

Is there a way to change the font size in the chat room? I can zoom the entire page but that causes other problems.

Thanks much!

Karen

• Members

Hello I have asked for email notifications of postings but no emails have come through even though people are sending me messages, posting on my topic etc

• Members

I see we need to save our posts.  I have not been able to figure out how to save and/or export a copy short of copying the individual text of each one and pasting it into a text/word file.  Surely there must be an easier process.

Help, please and thank you.